Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a car you've never seen

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 09:56 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, those are STL area. My sister lives there, and I will be visiting her and taking my registration exam there on the 19th of this month. If it is within an hour or so I would be happy to take a look at it for you and let you know what I think about the seller after meeting him in person.

I am not an "expert" on anything, but I would be glad to give you my honest opinion and try to nit pick the car for you a bit to find any issues that may be hiding.

If you decide you want me to do anything for you just drop me a PM or post back here.

-Ethan
Old 06-10-04, 04:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Lightbulb Carfax

Have the owner give you the VIN and then you can run a Carfax check on it, if possible...that will take out at least some of the risk before you see it.
You say this is a "rare" car.....you wouldn't be talking about a Buick Grand National, would you? Several weeks ago you menioned in a post that you wanted one.....but it's unclear if you actually have one now.
Old 06-10-04, 09:36 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Talking Re: Carfax

Originally posted by mmarshall
Have the owner give you the VIN and then you can run a Carfax check on it, if possible...that will take out at least some of the risk before you see it.
You say this is a "rare" car.....you wouldn't be talking about a Buick Grand National, would you? Several weeks ago you menioned in a post that you wanted one.....but it's unclear if you actually have one now.
He said he has a Carfax available but I think I'l run one on my own to be sure it's as current as possible. I do not have a Grand National yet, and the car I'm looking at isn't exactly a Grand National either...it's a bit more rare...

James
Old 06-10-04, 10:13 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Besides CarFax, you might want to use the VIN to get the maintenance record thru Lexus dealership. I don't think they will charge you anything. Maybe you can also talk to your insurance agent and see if they can pull up any information regarding the VIN.

When doing inspection, make sure all panel/doors have the same VIN.

Good luck
Old 06-10-04, 11:05 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

if you have the area code and prefix for both phone numbers, this site will tell you which city in Missouri that they correspond with.

http://www.jcsm.com/oneacx.asp

I have never bought a car sight unseen, but I sold my 93 RX-7 last year to a buyer in Canada who never came to look at it. We had many phone and email conversations, and we both felt very comfortable with the transacation.

Definitely do your homework, CarFax is a must, as well as any documentation he can provide concerning service intervals.

Good luck!

David