Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a car you've never seen

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 06:06 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car you've never seen

As some of you might know I'm in the market for a car. I found something exactly to my specifications, however it is in Missouri while I'm in Washington state. Since I'm not flying out there, how would you guys suggest finding out if the car is as good in real life as it is in pics? I can handle transport if I do decide to buy the ride, but deciding whether its right or not for me is the hard part. Any hints and/or tips would be much appreciated.

James
Old 06-09-04, 06:12 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I actually bought my SC sight unseen. I just saw it on autotrader, called the owner up (Michigan) and made the deal because it was cheap. When I went to pick up the car, I was surprised to learn that the car has surpassed my expectations because its pretty clean for the price I paid. But if you buy a car sight unseen, you are taking a risk. If you are aware of what you're risking, I'd say go for it.
Old 06-09-04, 06:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

You can also post to see if there are any CL members in the area that can go check it out for you.
Old 06-09-04, 07:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

As the others have mentioned. To me, it is a numbers game and if this is a rare car then a plane ticket to see it is a worthwhile saver. With most common production cars, it is a waiting game when one that meets your criteria comes around. Now obviously, you have to decide what your time-line will be.
Old 06-09-04, 07:29 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

I actually bought my ES without seeing it... But I did have a trusted friend who was a mechanic for many years who found it for me, he went over it, made sure it was in excellent condition, then I bought it. Gotta say, I'm glad I did it... btw, what part of missouri is it in?
Old 06-09-04, 07:37 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

ya, where in MO is it because I live in MO and I might be able to check it out for you depending on where it is located.
Old 06-09-04, 07:48 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the kind offers guys. First off, this car IS rare. I'm not gonna say what yet because I don't wanna jinx myself When I talked to the guy for the first time today all he said was one hour north of St. Louis. I guess he wasn't too happy when I told him I was just looking around right now. A plane trip to MO would be cool, but I don't think my work would be too happy with that. We'll see how stuff goes and if everything checks off (and I have a feeling it will) then I'll ask for some assistance and maybe someone can even test drive it for me. Thanks again

James
Old 06-09-04, 08:20 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont wonna get ur hopes down, BUT i once purchased a car, sight unseen, for my brother and got RIPPED. the tranny was AND engine were both shot i was going to get the law involved but, it would end up costing too much... so i just did a little work myself, fixed it up as much as possible and then i sold it at my loss i guess thats what i get for tryin to help my brother out

moral of the story: DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!! good luck.
Old 06-09-04, 08:35 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

What town is it in? We may have some connections there... We have "car" friends all over the state, so just let me know and I will see if anyone in the area is willing to do me/you a favor.

-Ethan
Old 06-09-04, 08:51 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

You can hire a third party inspection company and do the inspection for you.

Inspection Company
This link is from Ebay. I don't know if they will do cars not from the ebay auction.
Old 06-09-04, 08:51 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Varcity, thanks for the caveat. That is a big concern of mine.

Ethan, do the area coded 314 (cell) and 636 (home) mean anything to you? Like I said, today was the first time I talked to him on the phone. I would email him back now but he said he only checks email about twice per week so I'll just call him tomorrow and find out exactly what town he lives in. Hopefully I can have a CL member (and someone who knows a lot about cars like you) check it out and tell me its all good. Oh, and whoever helps me out gets a bonus too, because no good job goes unpaid.

James
Old 06-09-04, 08:55 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RayGS3
You can hire a third party inspection company and do the inspection for you.

Inspection Company
This link is from Ebay. I don't know if they will do cars not from the ebay auction.
Wow, I like that! I looked on there and they seem to be pretty much exclusively ebay. If anyone knows any third party inspection companies, feel free to throw them out there. I'm searching too!

James
Old 06-09-04, 09:03 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jet864
Wow, I like that! I looked on there and they seem to be pretty much exclusively ebay. If anyone knows any third party inspection companies, feel free to throw them out there. I'm searching too!

James
Call them up and see what they can do. I used them before and the report is quite detail.
Old 06-09-04, 09:24 PM
lex-matt
Rookie

the area code 636 and 314 are the 2 area codes for coutnies around St. Louis. I live in Chesterfield, MO(about 30 miutes from downtown STL) and my area code is 636 for home and 314 for my cell. If you want, I could look around for local inspection agencies and/or I could help you with anything you need.
Old 06-09-04, 09:44 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Wow, this really is the best forum ever! I have the number for SGS (Inspection Company) and will give both them and the owner a call tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for the offers and to RayGS3 for the company idea! If something doesn't work out I'll definately be back on here though seeing if anyone will help.

James

Quick Reply: Buying a car you've never seen