Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rented a 300C for 2 days - helluva car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 06:02 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rented a 300C for 2 days - helluva car

Well i get to the Thrifty counter at St Louis Airport and they are out of the mid size generic boxes. The clerk told me that I could have a 300C or a mini-van. After thinking about it for about 2 nanoseconds I got a 300C for 2 days. This is one fine car...

The 300C is a man's car ( sorry ladies) as it is all about testosterone. It is big and fast (R&T clocked 5.6S 0-60), comfortable ( I drove 180 miles in 2 days), whisper quiet until you make those horsies gallop, and handles confidently. I opened it up on 55 North from ST Loius to Springfield IL and whoa this car likes to move out. The on center feel for the steering is excellent. The suspension components are taught but not jarring. I took some exit and entrance ramps at speeds far beyond I would have attempted with my LS. The handling is as good if not better than my old 1998 740i Bimmer. I'm sure the Mercedes underpinnings and 18 inch sneakers help.

I tried to fool the system that shuts down 2 cyls for gas savings. I could not. Extra power is immediate when called for. The only time I think I could barely percieve it was with the cruise control on and going up hill. I could feel more power gently come in but with no change in RPM's. I am assuming that's the computer bringing them back in.

The interior is well appointed with nice features like 1 touch front windows up and down, a great Nav system, huge back seat and very supportive fronts seats. The fit and finish was very good with even gaps etc.. I did not like the stereo system however. I'm sure the Boston Acoustics option is much better. The stock stereo as way overboosted in the sub-bass. I tried adjusting the mix but could not find an acceptable mix as the sub woofer was not indiviualy adjustable. The other complaint is minor and that's the dash material feels like rubber.

This car also needs nicer 18 wheels. I really don't like the chrome wheels that are stock. If i were to buy one, I'd use these for my snow treads and get some nicer rims for the the rest of the year.

Bottom line is for $35-38K this is one contender. It is bold and individualistic. It should do well.

Murph
Old 06-13-04, 06:13 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

I love the 300C, Murph. Cool that you got to test one out for a while & thanks for the post.

The only thing that I find at all disconcerting about the exterior of the car is the gap between the headlamps and the front quarter panels. They are even (the panels are all fitted within extremely respectable tolerances) but have a considerable gap; I have yet to come up for a reason for them existing.

The rest of the car does nothing but impress me, though.
Old 06-13-04, 06:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the review Murph.
The 300C is truly one of the best sedans coming out of Detroit right now.
Old 06-13-04, 11:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

they look real nice, something like bently, but the stock paint job and the exterior out look on that car is kinda cheap tho.imo
Old 06-13-04, 11:17 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

o thanks a lot for a great review/write up
Old 06-13-04, 11:30 PM
LexFather

I also give the 300C . Incredible car and effort by Chrysler.
I think the styling "Bentlyish" has a lot to do with it.
Attached Thumbnails Rented a 300C for 2 days - helluva car-022758-e.jpg  

Old 06-13-04, 11:31 PM
LexFather

Looks similar to this. The Bling Blingers are gonna kill this new 300C
Attached Thumbnails Rented a 300C for 2 days - helluva car-001195-e.jpg  

Old 06-14-04, 04:35 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the 300c are nice looking cars. I'm starting to see quite a few of them around where I live. They are affordable and look like a Bently. The only thing I don't like is that on the V8 engines how 4 cylinders will shut off when just cruising. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that cause more wear and tear on those 4 cylinders working, while those other 4 takes a break?

Educate me, please!!!
Old 06-14-04, 05:12 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a bad little review there... i can't say i even gave it a thought because it had "chrysler" out in front of the name
Old 06-14-04, 05:55 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I think the 300C looks better than the Bently that 1Sick posted.

It also looks better crafted.

Old 06-14-04, 06:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by JLSC4
I think the 300C looks better than the Bently that 1Sick posted.

It also looks better crafted.

If you see them in person side by side, the Bentley blows away the 300C, as it should

Comparing pictures is vastly different from seeing them in person

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-14-04 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-14-04, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Smile Yes, nice car.

I've also driven the 300C...I agree it's a nice car. Great looking on the outside....one of the best-looking sedans in years...... but I disagree about the so-called nice interior. It LOOKS nice, but underneath all that handsome glitter and plushness is the same old cheap thin Chrysler plastic we've seen for years. Compare the 300's interior materials with the Lexus ES300 in the same price range and the door solidness with German cars in the same price range and you'll see what I mean.
Having said that, it is indeed a nice car to drive. Good combination of power, handling, room, ride comfort, and quietness.
And Murph......with gas prices the way they are, why would you even TRY to fool the 4 cylinder shut-down at cruise? If you WANT power, you HAVE it...instantaneously. All you gotta do is give it some throttle and instantly the computer starts feeding all 8 fuel injectors and goes to a rich fuel mixture for max power....or for going up hills. This engine is NOT that piece of s--- Cadillac V8-6-4 engine from the early 1980's that never worked properly.
Old 06-14-04, 01:47 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Yes, nice car.

Originally posted by mmarshall
I've also driven the 300C...I agree it's a nice car. Great looking on the outside....one of the best-looking sedans in years...... but I disagree about the so-called nice interior. It LOOKS nice, but underneath all that handsome glitter and plushness is the same old cheap thin Chrysler plastic we've seen for years. Compare the 300's interior materials with the Lexus ES300 in the same price range and the door solidness with German cars in the same price range and you'll see what I mean.
We can't fairly expect to see a Lexus ES like interior in a family sedan that has a 340 V8.
It wouldn't be feasable at the 300's price. How much power does the ES have? Exactly.
A car can't have the best of both worlds and cost the same.

The ES330 is a bargain for what it is, and so isn't the 300C. It's just for many different reasons.
Old 06-14-04, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by JLSC4
We can't fairly expect to see a Lexus ES like interior in a family sedan that has a 340 V8.
It wouldn't be feasable at the 300's price. How much power does the ES have? Exactly.
A car can't have the best of both worlds and cost the same.

The ES330 is a bargain for what it is, and so isn't the 300C. It's just for many different reasons.

Yes, V8 Lexus products do cost more than the 300C. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that Chrysler put in a Lexus-quality interior and the Hemi both for the price....but don't forget the Hemi 300C is not a cheap car, either.....just about all of the ones I've seen fully equipped run close to 40K WITHOUT the inevitable dealer markups. That is perhaps the biggest irony of this car....the V6 300's all sit on the lot.....they can't GIVE them away.....while the Hemi's are hotter than Pam Anderson. There is a long waiting list for them...and boy, the salespeople know it.
I know of only one person right now who actually WANTS a V6 300C.
Old 06-14-04, 02:57 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Ford is stealing the idea and plans to add a 350hp "hurricane" 6.2L
Chrysler plans to add another 375hp+ 6.1L

Quick Reply: Rented a 300C for 2 days - helluva car