Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus Upcoming HP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 09:00 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by THE_CEO
good then maybe some one will take the time to figure out how to twin turbo a V8...

CEO
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=srt

Old 06-14-04, 10:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Once again, I am reading what is leaking out and maybe making more of it than I should. We have already posted the C&D blurb so you can read that elsewhere if you haven't seen it. This is from the July 2004 issue of Popular Mechanics, Asia Spy Report.

"Tops in the Toyota Line

In about a year or two we'll get the next generation of Toyota's flagship 4-door sedan, the Avalon. And our insiders in Japan say the computer-generated image (think Dodge Intrepid meets Nissan Altima, at least from the side - RON430) is an accurate depiction of the car's modern, rakish styling. As the current Avalon rides on the previous generation Toyota Camry platform, the new Avalon will get the current Camry's underpinnings. Look for the new Avalon to be larger and ride on an extended wheelbase for maximum interior roominess. In fact, rear-seat legroom is said to equal that of the Lexus LS430. Under the hood, engineers have punched out the Camry's 3.3 liter V6 to 3.5 liters. As a result, horsepower is expected to exceed 270."

Who knows whether it is true or not. But when you combine this blurb with the C&D blurb, well, that is why I drew the conclusions I did. To tell you the truth, I don't mind some Lexus engines being Lexus only but I have no trouble with some engines being shared with Toyota. For me, the Toyota connection is nothing but a plus and the I6 in my wifes GS300 is that marvelous Toyota straight six that I still think puts bimmer straight sixes to shame in equivalent states of tune.
Old 06-14-04, 11:24 PM
LexFather

Who knows whether it is true or not. But when you combine this blurb with the C&D blurb, well, that is why I drew the conclusions I did. To tell you the truth, I don't mind some Lexus engines being Lexus only but I have no trouble with some engines being shared with Toyota. For me, the Toyota connection is nothing but a plus and the I6 in my wifes GS300 is that marvelous Toyota straight six that I still think puts bimmer straight sixes to shame in equivalent states of tune.
I hope I did not confuse you. The 2JZ is PERFECT for Lexus. It is a rare engine, only used in the incredible Supra. I wish they could somehow KEEP this engine. I hope I did not offend you. I wish they did keep at least a I-6 engine for originality and it's other benefits.

I meant like sharing more Camry engines and hell Corolla engines etc.

Old 06-15-04, 10:07 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit, I don't think the V6's are an improvement over the 2JZ. After having it in a Supra and now the GS300, I am a big fan. I had three bimmers with straight sixes and they came with a big reputation that I never found, especially in smoothness. A jaguar straight six and especially the 2JZ put it to shame. But I understand the realities of production, the widely acknowledged costs of an I6, and the packaging issues. But no sense ignoring reality.

And to broaden the discussion a bit, if PM is right and a 270hp 3.5l six is on the way for the Avalon, maybe it won't find its way into the Camry very quickly. But then again, it will probably find its way into the ES, the IS, and even more interestingly, the RX. The RX issue is an interesting one for me as there is a real possibility that there will be one in my future. The RX400h looked attractive but if the premium is $3500 or so, the mileage increase has to be pretty healthy in the real world. But the possibility of better performance with a combined 270hp was also interesting. It would make things a lot more difficult for me to have the choice between a 270hp pure gas engine vs a 270hp hybrid that may get some better mileage but will have worse performance. Before anyone brings it up, I understand that the 270hp 3.5l may find its way into the RX400h and that would bring it up to say 320hp. And yes, that would complicate things again. As for the IS getting the horsepower it deserves and the ES stepping up, the C and A4 just got left in the dust and the 3 will find life a lot more difficult as well.

For those of you that are wondering why auto makers try to keep new models secret, it is the impact on current sales. And with what is leaking out now, I think I am going to be on the sideline for a new Lexus purchase for several years to see what actually shakes out from these rumors. But if I were the German auto industry, it might mean a lot of months of tossing and turning if Lexus raises the bar again. They can't afford to have Lexus/Toyota really start eroding their performance image across the board. In all honesty, I think the Avalon is a heck of a car for the money. It really had a lot of room inside. If the new one grows again, gets a bit more style and handling, and gets 270hp it should do very well. Domestic auto makers are going to need a lot more than the 300C to compete.
Old 06-15-04, 10:55 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus is going to have to pop in this HP war... the Caddy CTS-V has 400hp also...