Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Test Drive - Taste of Luxury

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-04, 03:41 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
damn i had a number to call but i don't have it anymore, sux

but calling customer service is not going to help, it's not the same department.

however though, i can't say 100%, but i have a feeling if you are not registered by now, it might be full already
If that's the case, shouldn't they be sophisticated enough to set up a computer generated "Sorry, this shiz be full" type of response?
Old 08-10-04, 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Incendiary
If that's the case, shouldn't they be sophisticated enough to set up a computer generated "Sorry, this shiz be full" type of response?
well as i said before they intially want to do things online but they found out the link was leaked and they terminated the whole thing, and everything went back to invite only.

i don tknow how it worked out though

heck maybe you can even just go over there and walk in
Old 08-18-04, 04:07 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Lexus customer service finally got back with me and provided this toll free number 888-497-4354 to call to register. They said all invites are e-mailed out 2-3 weeks before each event however there has been some problem with the registration link. It is an outside firm contracted by Lexus to handle the registration of this event and will ask the caller for his invite confirmation number. If you don't have a confirmation, you won't have this number. Just call them 2 weeks before your event and tell them you registered in June but received nothing. They will go ahead and register you on the phone with whatever time slots they have open the day you want. After that they will e-mail you with a confirmation number and the time and place you are registered. The website LexusTasteOfLuxury.com has all the details including maps but you must have the confirmation number to get logged in to see that. Hope this helps. Again, don't call them until it is 2 weeks before your event if you have not received any confirmation by then.
Old 08-25-04, 01:45 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

they sent my invite weeks before...i went and cruised all 3 of the car exhibits ate a ton of food and had some fun....it was actually better than last years even...because we were racing cars..

CEO
Old 08-25-04, 08:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by THE_CEO
they sent my invite weeks before...i went and cruised all 3 of the car exhibits ate a ton of food and had some fun....it was actually better than last years even...because we were racing cars..

CEO
oh yeah, it was A LOT better than last yr
Old 08-31-04, 02:42 PM
LexFather

In reading tons of forums, many owners of different cars have gone to this. I have not read 1 bad comment about the event. Lexus has DONE IT AGAIN!! People simply love this event.

Old 08-31-04, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
In reading tons of forums, many owners of different cars have gone to this. I have not read 1 bad comment about the event. Lexus has DONE IT AGAIN!! People simply love this event.
that's good to know! maybe you can post some links to other forums too, its good to see how other feel about our car (of course, no bashing allowed!)
Old 08-31-04, 09:38 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
that's good to know! maybe you can post some links to other forums too, its good to see how other feel about our car (of course, no bashing allowed!)
Ditto that.

Actually links to bashing threads are welcome too because then we'll be able to shed on those uncultivated people the truthful light.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-31-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 10:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by XeroK00L
Ditto that.

Actually links to bashing threads are welcome too because then we'll be able to shed on those uncultivated people the truthful light.
yeah, and that ALWAYS end up with a lot of closed threads too
Old 09-03-04, 08:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I wouldn't say I "loved" the event. But I will say this
The off road tracks were terrible for evaluating the SUVs. My wife was interested in the GX470 but there is no way she is ever going to go over 25' hills of dirt if she gets one. A bunch of people were commenting how this is not how these cars/trucks will be driven. Sure it is cool to drive these things in the dirt, but we were more interested in how they did on the streets.

The small course they had set up for the cars was just too short - I drove the E500 and was done. As there was a bit of rain and the track was asphalt, you just couldn't do anything.

The on road course was better except that the leader in the mini van took 10 minute breaks in between each drive. So if you were third in line (there were two cars of each) you had almost a 30 minute wait. The line for the 745 was about an hour long (the longest of any car) - but they just couldn't find anyone to drive the Lexus's (not surprising since many at the event already owned one). I ended up driving the E320 (a bit slow) and the TL (didn't like it as much as I thought I would - however the car has ZERO torque steer).

I will say that the food was great and the port-a-potty was by far one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever been in - seriously!

Oh they did have a RX400h on display but would not let you in - I looked over the car from head to toe and swear it was a regular RX with a new dash - no sign of the battery packs anywhere.

Oh I will add that I went to a C&D/R&T event the very next day. Drove the Subaru Legacy GT, Volvo S60, and BMW325ia. What a blast - had a handling course, traction course, and performance course. You got to go full out on these courses and it was incredible. Subaru (who sponsored the event) has come a long, long way. Still the 325 was the favorite amongst those polled.
Old 09-04-04, 07:14 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Default Taste of Luxury - Lexus Event

My wife and I attended the "Taste of Luxury" Lexus event in Columbus, Ohio today. I have never been to anything like it before, but I have to tell you, I was extremely impressed with the entire presentation. My wife, who didn't really want to go to the event, ended up having as much of a blast as I did.

Of course, test-driving all the cars was the high point. Some of the displays (Mark Levinson, RX400h, golf swing, cooking demonstrations) were fine, but not really what we were interested in. We spent a lot of time test-driving cars in the Luxury and Sport-Luxury sections, then took a break to eat before driving SUVs. There was an OSU game today, so there was virtually no waiting to drive anything. Consequently, we drove everything we wanted, as many times as we wanted. They basically hand you the keys and turn you lose on a course and let you drive the cars as hard as you want. Courses are short, but let you punish the cars with a lot of twists and turns. Great fun. The SUV course is a simulated off-road course that's very short, which was interesting, but really doesn't give you any "real world" idea of how the vehicles handle. That would probably be my only complaint with the driving courses.

I'll save you all the belabored play by play, other than a few surprises.

Pleasant surprises:
- Lexus LS430 Sport (very impressed with the Euro suspension - I may have found my sedan for fall)
- Mercedes E500 Sport (I'm not typically a Benz fan at all, so I was a bit surprised that I liked it as much as I did)
- Cadillac XLR (you can feel the Vette within - wouldn't buy one, but it did make me smile - biggest waiting lines of any car)

UN-pleasant surprises:
- BMW 530i / 545ia (hated, hated, hated - felt cheap and uncontrollable - loved the old one and have owned many BMWs, so very disappointed)
- Jaguar XK8 (awful in every regard)

A few things that I thought were interesting.... They had a few Infinitis available, although no one was interested in driving them at all, so they weren't even pulled up in the lineup. The entire couple hours we were there, they weren't ever requested. Also, I thought it was interesting that Audi wasn't represented at all. Wish they would have had a SL500 too.

Overall, a great event. If you have the chance, you should certainly attend.
Old 09-10-04, 05:03 PM
flatfoot
Driver

Sounds like a fun day. What other brands / models were available?

Flatfoot
Old 09-10-04, 08:29 PM
XZLR8
Driver

I'm sure to miss a few, but off the top of my head, the main players were:

Mercedes S430, E500, E320, C-class (not sure which engine), ML500
BMW 745i, 545ia, 530i, 330i, X5
Acura TL, MDX
Infiniti G35
Cadillac XLR, Escalade
Jaguar XK8
Volvo XC90
Range Rover

And, of course, every Lexus model. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I know the list was heavily weighted on Mercedes and BMW, as was the invitation list according to one of the gentlemen working the show. In terms of the big sedans, I would have really liked to see the Audi A8 and the new big Jag, just for selfish reasons.
Old 09-14-04, 05:37 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I attended the event in Englishtown. My family had a terrific time! My husband was amazed that the Mercedes weren't better. Driving the SUVs on the prepared obstacle course was great. I got a new appreciation for the GX 470,but it won't fit in my garage door! I was surprised that many of the "competitors" that I drove weren't better. There was a much flatter course for the RX 330, Acura MDX and Volvo. It was almost boring. I would have preferred to "push" the RX to see what it could do. I had driven over rockier roads and hills taking my son to sleepaway camp in PA. The sports car track was fun, but too short. The sedan drive was better. It was on the actual raceway with curves, banking turns, etc. Food was good and I got up close to the 400h which I have on order. I urge anyone in the vicinity of one of the events to attend. You need to be 21 with a license to drive.
The waiting times were not long. On the average they were 5 minutes. Perhaps they perfected the system before they reached NJ!

Last edited by LexRexBlue; 09-14-04 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 10:52 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fort Lauderdale event

Was wondering if anyone had recieved their invitation to the show in Fort Lauderdale? Also does anyone know where it will be held? JM Lexus?

Quick Reply: Lexus Test Drive - Taste of Luxury