Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obviously summer and all the new drivers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 06:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Obviously summer and all the new drivers

Tis the seasons of change and I can count on the first few weeks of driving chaos with many new drivers on the roads. By in large, most are decent but get those testosterone filled and those gals looking to keep up and the roadways turn into a crap shoot. Seems many of the high school kiddies are in a hurry.

For instance, this morning I'm on the way to the gym to get some exercise and a Expedition filled with new high school grads is making a left...as evidenced by the tassel hanging from the rear view. The light is red and I'm going straight...light turns green and he nails attempting to beat traffic...I'm not fast on the gas but he stopped just in front of me...my wife is screaming and I'm wondering WTF is he thinking??!

Like Memorial Day and New Years when the new kids get their cars, they become Nascar drivers and invincible.
Old 06-15-04, 07:06 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's sad to say these kids won't learn until something happens to them, maybe by then it'll be too late. A classmate of mine's back in high school was driving her dad's 4runner with 6-7 other teens in her car. Anyway she was driving all crazy that day according to my sis (who was also a passenger in her car). Later that night after the school dance, she was driving home and took a turn too fast and the SUV flipped like 5 times and I witnessed it too. Luckily, no one died, including the 2 sitting in the back w'o seatbelts. My sis was Ok so I was glad. Crazy teen drivers!! Gotta watch out for them this summer!!

Also look out for granny drivers too!! I get scared driving near any elderly folks!!
Old 06-15-04, 07:29 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 17 and I havto agree that many if not most people my age drive like idiots, not to mention they drive that way in their parents cars or cars their parents bought for them. I respect my parents cars and my own (es300) and screwing around is not something I'm willing to do. I'll admit I've had my fun like us all and maybe done a few stupid things, but never to put someones life in danger or to show off. People don't understand that driving is a responsibility. There are many idiots out there, the best thing you can do is be prepared for it and keep your eyes open for crazy drivers.
Old 06-15-04, 09:19 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jhenty
I'm 17 and I havto agree that many if not most people my age drive like idiots, not to mention they drive that way in their parents cars or cars their parents bought for them. I respect my parents cars and my own (es300) and screwing around is not something I'm willing to do. I'll admit I've had my fun like us all and maybe done a few stupid things, but never to put someones life in danger or to show off. People don't understand that driving is a responsibility. There are many idiots out there, the best thing you can do is be prepared for it and keep your eyes open for crazy drivers.
It's good that you are a responsible young teen. Where I live (Fresno, CA), every kid here in their 3 diffrent color, 100 sticker, huge airplane spoiler, drive like if they are competing for the grand prize. They cut off cars and drive 10mph above speed limit. It's a lot scarier when they are driving a huge SUV or Van. Fresno also hired alot more motorcycle cops and writting out tickets now so at least the crazy driving have decrease.

But the bad thing is that some of these cops will find any little thing and write you up. No front license plate, no seat belt, car too low, etc. Depending on the cop, but most will write you up. I guess they are really desperate for money.
Old 06-15-04, 10:12 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was 17 I made my mistakes as I have listed here many times over. I will hopefully never make them again.

-Anthony