Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

***New Nissan GT-R pic***

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 08:20 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by Paul2x
You sure about that.....?????

I've heard from numerous sources that it's going to be from the G35 platform....The G35 in japan is currently called a Skyline....

everyone is just waiting on a GTR version.

Not going to be 3.5 either........3.3TT with electronically assisted turbos, and an electro magnetic clutch.

Thats the info that i got from a nissan source from Japan, that attended their 04 opening press confrence.

can't wait though!!

I'll be first on the list....

by the way where did u find that pic?

take care,

Paul
Well the M35/45 is based on the G35 (cost cutting at it's best), so a GT-R based on a strengthened M35/45 platform is a G35 platform which is a 350Z platform.
The car will continue to share as much parts as possible, I think Nissan/Renault will have no more than 8 platforms total for the 2 automakers to share.
If Nissan does not have a 3.3 in production yet, I doubt they will use a new engine. THe big debate was to make is 3.5 TT or use the 4.5 liter V-8.
The GT-R promises to expand on the legendary R-34. I can't wait either. It should be lighter and more driveable compared to the V-spec. The last model, the special edition M-spec, had suspension adjustments that previewed some of where the next GT-R was going.

The reason it's taking so long is Nissan did not see this big turnaround coming, no GT-R replacement was planned after the R-34. So they had to start from scratch.
I can't wait!

Old 06-18-04, 08:59 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too futuristic for its own good.

-Anthony
Old 06-18-04, 11:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
The reason it's taking so long is Nissan did not see this big turnaround coming, no GT-R replacement was planned after the R-34. So they had to start from scratch.
I can't wait!
I can't wait either!
Old 06-18-04, 02:29 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I feel really *****ty saying this... but I really don't like the direction lexus is going and that car is HOT!
Old 06-19-04, 11:53 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

It looks alright....it would take getting used to though. Just remember, its just a concept...one of many
Old 06-19-04, 01:53 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

they dont use HID Xenon in concept verison??
Old 06-21-04, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Lightbulb RX-8 clone?

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh oh.....
Anybody agree with me?....I think the GT-R looks more like a redone Mazda RX-8 than anything else.
Old 06-21-04, 07:19 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Re: RX-8 clone?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Anybody agree with me?....I think the GT-R looks more like a redone Mazda RX-8 than anything else.
I think what is a more appropriate question is - "Do you like the GT-R or not?" I don't think it matters so much if one car looks like another - what matters more is if you like it or not. I think it looks great regardless of the fact that it may or may not resemble an RX-8.

This same debate has gone on ad infinitum regarding the 3rd gen GS. Many people think it looks like a Maxima and others don't think so. Does it really matter what it looks like? I certainly don't think so. Again, what I strongly feel is that if you like it, then that's all that counts!
Old 06-21-04, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: RX-8 clone?

Originally posted by Hameed
I think what is a more appropriate question is - "Do you like the GT-R or not?" I don't think it matters so much if one car looks like another - what matters more is if you like it or not. I think it looks great regardless of the fact that it may or may not resemble an RX-8.

This same debate has gone on ad infinitum regarding the 3rd gen GS. Many people think it looks like a Maxima and others don't think so. Does it really matter what it looks like? I certainly don't think so. Again, what I strongly feel is that if you like it, then that's all that counts!
OK.....your opinion noted. I agree that a vehicle should be judged on its own merit, not somebody else's. The RX-8 is certainly selling well......let's see if this car also does if it is put into production.
Old 06-21-04, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't think anybody outside of Nissan really knows what the next GT-R will look like.
Old 06-21-04, 07:54 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Im not a fan of the large-mouth bass look for a motor vehicle.
Old 06-21-04, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ebruce2
Im not a fan of the large-mouth bass look for a motor vehicle.
That tuna-sucking-wind look actually started in the early 1970's with the Ford Torino.