Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Axis Wheels Sponsership Question...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 11:31 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm moving to Car-chat for more views and this is not IS related directly.
YoNadz, maybe attend some shows and ask some people who got Axis sponsorship questions?
am in the process of talking to a guy right now. I will let you all know what happens. Wish me luck!!
Old 06-19-04, 11:43 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

good luck!
Old 06-20-04, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by YoNadz
am in the process of talking to a guy right now. I will let you all know what happens. Wish me luck!!
Good luck dude

Old 06-21-04, 03:32 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Henry and John- you must present a specific proposal, outlining the who, what , where, and when of shows, events, media coverage, potential magazine coverage, etc. You need to build-up the 'value' of you and your car, even if you are asking for a discount and not a freebie. The letter is good, but you need to elaborate more- make them understand you put some energy and thought into the proposal.

Remember, industry people get hit-up all the time for deals and freebies. I am always surprised by the number of people who will approach me at a show or event and ask for sponsorship. I mean, jeez, no offense to those people, but most of them I've never even met before and they have the nerve to ask for free wheels!

A great example of this is the big SEMA show every year in Vegas. Our company spends a lot of money to be there- we are there for the specific purpose of creating awareness of our product, educating dealers, seeing current dealera and acquiring new dealers, and, ultimately, creating sales. Sorry, but our purpose at SEMA is not to give away wheels (not that we ever give away wheels!). Be sure the forum in which you present your proposal is appropriate- don't do it at a show or big event. Industry people have tons of people to see, and I hate to say it, but it's not fair to spend 30 minutes with a single contact when there are 50 other people waitng to talk to you.

It's not easy to build a relationship with top industry companies. That's what this is all about, after all. Make sure it's more than 'scoring a deal' for yourself. The harsh reality is, if you live in Arkansas or Kansas (for example), these are not exactly automotive aftermarket meccas. Your chances of getting special treatment are much stronger if you life in a geographical are that is conducive to automotive tuning. Here in Southern California, we are lucky- the weather is good year-round, we have Hot Import Nights, Import Showoff, DUB, D1 Drift events, Nisei week, and many other shows and events one can attend.

As a recipient of sponsorship you will be expected to attend many (if not all) of these events, seek magazine coverage, perhaps you'll even get lucky and score a feature on some type of TV media (like a TV show, movie, etc.) or a deal with RealWheelz or Jada Toys will make a model of the car... This can be a huge commitment if you have a family or other commitments on weekends. Plan to spend hours detailing the car before shows, paying show enrty fees, getting to the shows early (for decent placement), eating lousy show food, and staying late after the shoe for move-out and clean up. Not all of the shows are exactly local, either, so plan on commuting & paying for fuel, too.

Another approach for getting your foot in the door would be to seek some type of position in the aftermarket industry. If you are a true car nut, there's nothing wrong with getting paid for what you love doing!!

Best of luck with your proposal!

-Bob

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 06-21-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 04:09 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default sponsorship

And don't just do a letter...do something different. Send a CDROM with your car and other peoples cars as potential buyers. You have to make a confident sales pitch and it should be original. As others have said, these companies get hundreds of requests...be the one they remember.
Old 06-21-04, 04:27 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by YoNadz
I would try the whole local shop thing...but in St. Louis there are like 5 shops.....and they are all gay.
Dude....i hope for your sake that no one from these 5 St. Louis shops visit this forum and see this thread. Talk about burning your bridges. LOL!!!
Old 06-21-04, 04:40 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by PHML
Dude....i hope for your sake that no one from these 5 St. Louis shops visit this forum and see this thread. Talk about burning your bridges. LOL!!!
PHML, great catch! LMAO!!

Old 06-21-04, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, bob, thanks for the great insight on the sponsorship. seriously it doesn't get any better by hearing from manufacturers themselves!
Old 06-21-04, 04:55 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
I agree with Henry and John- you must present a specific proposal, outlining the who, what , where, and when of shows, events, media coverage, potential magazine coverage, etc. You need to build-up the 'value' of you and your car, even if you are asking for a discount and not a freebie. The letter is good, but you need to elaborate more- make them understand you put some energy and thought into the proposal.

Remember, industry people get hit-up all the time for deals and freebies. I am always surprised by the number of people who will approach me at a show or event and ask for sponsorship. I mean, jeez, no offense to those people, but most of them I've never even met before and they have the nerve to ask for free wheels!

A great example of this is the big SEMA show every year in Vegas. Our company spends a lot of money to be there- we are there for the specific purpose of creating awareness of our product, educating dealers, seeing current dealera and acquiring new dealers, and, ultimately, creating sales. Sorry, but our purpose at SEMA is not to give away wheels (not that we ever give away wheels!). Be sure the forum in which you present your proposal is appropriate- don't do it at a show or big event. Industry people have tons of people to see, and I hate to say it, but it's not fair to spend 30 minutes with a single contact when there are 50 other people waitng to talk to you.

It's not easy to build a relationship with top industry companies. That's what this is all about, after all. Make sure it's more than 'scoring a deal' for yourself. The harsh reality is, if you live in Arkansas or Kansas (for example), these are not exactly automotive aftermarket meccas. Your chances of getting special treatment are much stronger if you life in a geographical are that is conducive to automotive tuning. Here in Southern California, we are lucky- the weather is good year-round, we have Hot Import Nights, Import Showoff, DUB, D1 Drift events, Nisei week, and many other shows and events one can attend.

As a recipient of sponsorship you will be expected to attend many (if not all) of these events, seek magazine coverage, perhaps you'll even get lucky and score a feature on some type of TV media (like a TV show, movie, etc.) or a deal with RealWheelz or Jada Toys will make a model of the car... This can be a huge commitment if you have a family or other commitments on weekends. Plan to spend hours detailing the car before shows, paying show enrty fees, getting to the shows early (for decent placement), eating lousy show food, and staying late after the shoe for move-out and clean up. Not all of the shows are exactly local, either, so plan on commuting & paying for fuel, too.

Another approach for getting your foot in the door would be to seek some type of position in the aftermarket industry. If you are a true car nut, there's nothing wrong with getting paid for what you love doing!!

-Bob
What rominl said. Not to mention this is one of the premier or the premier wheel manufactuer. Shoot, I wrote down notes.

Old 06-21-04, 09:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Shoot, I wrote down notes.
Did you catch this part?

not that we ever give away wheels!

Old 06-22-04, 12:45 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

wow, thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-22-04, 03:30 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SoCalSC4

-Bob
A logical response from someone who knows... Take this to heart guys, Bob speaks the truth!

When I was trying to put together a proposal for my old car it just got out of hand. I couldn't justify making it all over the country to 20+ events a year just to get a free set of wheels or a few thousand dollars, and to actually fund a full out race team for the year like we wanted would have been $500k a year, and that was doing it on a "budget", so obviously that wasn't going to happen.

Most of the time it seems to me like getting a sponsorship can end up costing you more than just buying the product to begin with since you end up with all these obligations to the company that cost money and time (which is the same thing as money).

-Ethan
Old 06-22-04, 04:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default axis

Originally posted by Ebanks
A logical response from someone who knows... Take this to heart guys, Bob speaks the truth!

When I was trying to put together a proposal for my old car it just got out of hand. I couldn't justify making it all over the country to 20+ events a year just to get a free set of wheels or a few thousand dollars, and to actually fund a full out race team for the year like we wanted would have been $500k a year, and that was doing it on a "budget", so obviously that wasn't going to happen.

Most of the time it seems to me like getting a sponsorship can end up costing you more than just buying the product to begin with since you end up with all these obligations to the company that cost money and time (which is the same thing as money).

-Ethan
Since sponsorship is a longshot...back to the original subject, Axis Milano's. I almost bought a set. My price was $1200. I may be able to get them even lower. If you're interested, let me know. I'll pursue it. This is without tires.
Old 06-22-04, 06:01 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Ethan
Great post!

On another note, not to be a downer, but you mention you don’t have money for wheels really, if that is the case I will guess you don’t have enough money to take your car to the extreme that it needs to be to win shows or get on magazine covers, if they are going to sponsor someone they are going to go with someone so put a lot of their own money in the car!!!

And as Ethan noted, is all that trouble worth a $1500 set of wheels????????????
Old 06-22-04, 09:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

-Ethan
actually, almost always you end up spending more money to get sponsorship

Quick Reply: Axis Wheels Sponsership Question...(long)