Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Axis Wheels Sponsership Question...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04 | 01:02 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Default Axis Wheels Sponsership Question...UPDATED

Alright, I wanted to post this on hear instead of .net to avoid the flaming. I need some serious help since I have never done this, and am really serious about it. I really think that a set of Axis Milanos would complete my IS. I wanna do stagger fit 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back. I have been watching eBay for the last couple weeks, but for some reason non are being listed. They were on there earlier this year for $999.99+ shipping for a set. Anywhere else I look, a set will cost me $1600+ shipped. I really don't have that much money to spend on wheels. Sooo...I was thinking about calling Axis, and seeing about a sponsership opportunity. Not sure if this is even worth a try or not, but since I will be attending HIN Chicago, Indy, Nopi, Slam Session, Nopi Race wars and many other shows this year I thought maybe they would like the publicity. 19" Milanos on a painted IS.....I think it would be raw. Can anyone give me some advice on how to persue this? I am not looking to get the wheels or tires for free, I just don't have $2500 to drop on it. I got Axis' phone number and the name of a person to talk to from AltezzaBob on .net. Hopefully he's a cool guy. Anyways, constructive critism is appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Last edited by YoNadz; 06-18-04 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-17-04 | 01:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

well nothing is impossible, it's worth a try, though honestly without the right person and knowing someone inside, it's very hard to get sponsorship

you need to write a very decent proposal, more like a business proposal. you basically have to tell them how you can help them business wise. don't just tell them you go to shows, that's nothing to them. to them they only care about numbers, show them if you win prizes, what club and team you belongs to, exposure to magazines, etc... present it in a way to try to convince that over all the shows and your good mouth, you can present a good image of them to people and people would actually buy their stuff

you need to do that in order to get their attention so they might consider sponsoring you. sponsoring isn't easy these days anymore, too many posers out there and companies are very careful now
Old 06-17-04 | 08:22 AM
JunctionGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
well nothing is impossible, it's worth a try, though honestly without the right person and knowing someone inside, it's very hard to get sponsorship

you need to write a very decent proposal, more like a business proposal. you basically have to tell them how you can help them business wise. don't just tell them you go to shows, that's nothing to them. to them they only care about numbers, show them if you win prizes, what club and team you belongs to, exposure to magazines, etc... present it in a way to try to convince that over all the shows and your good mouth, you can present a good image of them to people and people would actually buy their stuff

you need to do that in order to get their attention so they might consider sponsoring you. sponsoring isn't easy these days anymore, too many posers out there and companies are very careful now
agreed, couldn't have said it any better...
Old 06-17-04 | 08:50 AM
13s_is300
Pole Position

henry, why did you have to call me out like that. J/K. good explanation. I would also suggest going to some local shops that sell Axis rims. they might be a little more likely to give you partial or full sponsership, in exchange for putting their name (sticker) on your car, and go to shows and events. you could approach them saying that this will pull in more local business to their shop. just my .02
Old 06-17-04 | 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by 13s_is300
henry, why did you have to call me out like that. J/K. good explanation. I would also suggest going to some local shops that sell Axis rims. they might be a little more likely to give you partial or full sponsership, in exchange for putting their name (sticker) on your car, and go to shows and events. you could approach them saying that this will pull in more local business to their shop. just my .02
hey man, i was only talking about it in general, no strings attached but you have a good point though, trying to get some local shops to give you sponsorship might actually work better. after all you go to local shows, i mean you won't come to cali for shows right? local shops they care about how much local sales they do. axis in general they wanna know how much money they can make in total

sponsorship is definitely no fun. to yourself though, sometimes sponsorship even means more money, maybe they will tell you oh you need to have this extra and extra, and oh we prefer you to get this rims over the one you mentioned (which end up being the most expensive top model one). i am in that path, junctionGS is in that path, and so do many others. we can all tell you we spend a lot more money to get sponsorship @_@
Old 06-17-04 | 11:08 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

I would try the whole local shop thing...but in St. Louis there are like 5 shops.....and they are all gay.
Old 06-17-04 | 02:48 PM
lexispoold
Pole Position

its as simple as calling them up and talking to someone from axis, likely they will get you in contact with someone or tell you how to go about sending a proposal.

Been there done that a number of times, u gotta have something most others dont or jus call at the right time. Honestly most sponsorships are only 25-35% off RETAIL!! WIth a few exceptions.
Old 06-17-04 | 07:35 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Yo, I have to disagree with these guys. Proposals are worthless imo and I have a lot of sponsors on my car hence a decent amount of experience. It is not about a proposal, but about what you offer to these guys. If you offer potential magazine coverage or serious coverage on major shows, then you will get sponsored. Even if you go to 50 shows, unless you win the bigtime shows then they won't give you 100% Many companies will offer you a small discount and call it "sponsorship", but that is a complete joke imo.

Another example is the offer I got from Toyo tires. They said that they would give me the tires, but I needed to give them back after 18 months of sponsorship. What? Give them back? I spin tires so hard, that they don't even last 18 months.

Unfortunately, without so many insanely modified IS300's out there, I would think getting full sponsorship is unlikely. There are probably 15+ 500 rwhp IS300's out there will heavily modified, bodykits, suspension, stereo, etc. that gobble up the IS300 sponsorship offers. My magazine coverage helped me, but even with that some potential sponsors made WEAK offers.

It never hurts to try, but just don't give away your car for a few hundred dollars. If they don't give it free, then don't take it because you will owe them stickers on your car when it cost them next to nothing.
Old 06-17-04 | 10:21 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am just gonna write a letter, and send some good pictures. Will post more details later....tired......must sleep....zzzzz
Old 06-18-04 | 01:27 AM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Alright, I wrote up a proposal. Please bare with me, I SUCK at writing these professional business letter things!! Please take the time to read through it and let me know anything I should add or delete. Like I said, this is the first time I am doing something like this and don't really know what Axis wants to hear. Thanks again for the help!

Ryan Nadler

3627 Tarragon Drive
Saint Charles, MO 63303
Phone: (636)262-8740
Email: YoNadzVTEC@hotmail.com

June 18, 2004

Axis Sport Tuning
9046 Sorensen Avenue
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Re: Sponsorship Proposal & Milano Purchase

Dear **** Bray,

I was refered to you by Bob from IS300.net in regards to a sponsorship proposal. When you started adding aftermarket parts to your WRX, did you ever dream that one day it would finally be ready for your first ‘sponsorship’? Well, I think I have finally got there with my 2001 Lexus IS300. I have had my car for a little over a year now. In that time it has transformed from completely stock, to a head turner.
My name is Ryan Nadler. I am twenty-one years old and the reason I am writing you today is to inquire about a ‘sponsorship’. I am not some kid looking for a free set of wheels. I am seeking to represent your company in exchange for some assistance with my upcoming wheel purchase. I only want the quality name of Axis to back me up. I am ready to purchase a set of your Milanos for my IS300. I was hoping that you would consider me for some kind of discount or wholesale price in exchange for some promotional opportunities.
I have been a big fan of Axis wheels since as long as I can remember. You guys have some of the most beautiful and original designs. If my wish of representing Axis were to come true, I would do my best to show others what Axis is all about. I would be willing to sport your name and website address on my car, hand out business cards, flyers, brochures, or anything else to show that Axis really does stand by their products. This is the kind of exposure Axis deserves for the quality work you do.
I believe that I have a unique car in the Midwest. To tell you the truth, I have never seen another IS300 around here that isn’t bone stock. The St. Louis import car market is growing, but we are still nothing near the statute of California. I mean, it’s not everyday you see a pearl blue and silver Lexus rolling on 19" Axis Milanos with a 3" polished lip! This is the exact reason I think that Axis needs me. I could open up a whole new market to you.
Since my IS300 was just finished being painted in May, I have dedicated this summer to attending as many car shows and meets as possible. I have put a lot of time and money into my car, and now it’s time to get it out there and expose it to the world. I am proud to say that I will be at a car show EVERY weekend this summer. The big shows I will be hitting are: Hot Import Nights - Chicago, Indy Truck Bash, Priority One’s Slam Session, Texas Heat Wave, The Nopi Nationals, and Nopi Race Wars St. Louis. When not attending national shows, I will be at all of the Midwest’s biggest ‘local’ shows. These shows are a great way to get the Axis name heard.
While attending these shows I will be doing everything possible to land some magazine interest. I will also be sending pictures to Super Street, Import Tuner, Sport Compact Car, and also a few online magazines. Speaking of the internet, I am a computer nerd. I am a member of multiple online forums such as IS300.net, ClubLexus.com, and StLouisStreetRacing.com. Thousands of people see my car a month on these sites.
Like I said before, the reason for this letter is not to beg for a free set of wheels. I am sure you guys get enough of that already. The reason is to show Axis the passion I have for my IS300, and the respect and trust I have in them. To tell you the truth, as long as you took the time to read this proposal I am happy. I will still purchase a set of Milanos, and I will enjoy them to the fullest extent. I just think that with a partnership we can make Axis a household name among the import world. It would be a honor for me to represent Axis. Please take the time to weigh your options and get back to me. If you let this dream of mine come true, I can guarantee I won’t let you down. I anxiously await your response. Good or bad, it still makes me feel good to know I was considered. Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Ryan Nadler

Pictures enclosed

Last edited by YoNadz; 06-18-04 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-18-04 | 12:01 PM
Turbo'd_Wxman
Pole Position

Yo, again nothing meant personally but you are not sounding to conident in that letter. Like I was told by many of my sponsors... there are hundreds of guys sending stuff and emailing them regarding potential sponsorship. The question is what do you offer them. If you say, that you are begging them for free wheels, then I will be $100 that you will definately not be sponsored. Try to sound a bit more confident and let them know how you are going to increase sales by having these wheels on your car. It is irrelevant how "good" they look on your car. They are a business trying to make money and sponsorship is a way for them to advertise. If you believe in this proposal letter (which I don't), then you need to make the case for how they will sell more wheels because of you.
Old 06-18-04 | 10:06 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

I said that I WASN'T some kid looking for a free set of wheels. Is it really that bad? Damn, I suck.
Old 06-19-04 | 01:14 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

speaking from the business perspective, yeah, you need to offer what Axis does not have to grab their attention.

if possible, do a ton of research to find out what shows that Axis is not present but you will be attending.

so you can tell Axis that you know they are not represented at HIN (for example), and you have been invited to HIN and will be happy to be the first to represent Axis. In the end, it is about fulfilling Axis lack of presence in certain niches.

If they already have sponsored cars in all the shows you are attending, why would Axis want to add you to that long list? that is the question you must answer yourself. Is your car better than all other Axis Sponsored cars? Why? Credentials to back it back such as prizes and such?

just my two cents.
Old 06-19-04 | 03:40 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

yes yes, keep the help coming..thanks again! I will re-write it, keep posting tips.
Old 06-19-04 | 09:16 PM
LexFather

I'm moving to Car-chat for more views and this is not IS related directly.
YoNadz, maybe attend some shows and ask some people who got Axis sponsorship questions?

Quick Reply: Axis Wheels Sponsership Question...(long)