Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MR2 Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 03:54 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR2 Hybrid?

Hybrid Toyota MR2 possible in 2005

Toyota is likely going to add a performance-oriented hybrid in its U.S. stable of vehicles the not-too distant future, a major Department of Energy research official tells TCC.

"We've heard that Toyota's going to come out with a next-generation MR2 that will have hybrid technology in it," the official says, adding that the DOE has been urging U.S. automakers to employ a performance-oriented strategy for some time and that Toyota, once again, plans to beat its Yankee competitors to the punch.

"I think a performance hybrid is absolutely logical, makes perfect sense and I'm surprised no one has done it yet," he says. "We've been advocating that within the industry for some time now. I think it makes sense because you can successfully combine very high performance and high efficiency and you're in the type of vehicle that can bear the price premium a little better. If you're clever about it you can just have stellar, stellar performance. We all know that electric motors are really good for launch."

In addition, the official says hybrids allow automakers to downsize engine size without sacrificing power, at the same time providing needed off-the-line boost.

The next-generation MR2 is scheduled for 2005 or 2006, according to recent speculation and the natural progression of Toyota's product cycles. The current generation roadster has been on roads since 2000.

The DOE official's comments come following Toyota's admission in 2002 that it is planning a full-hybrid lineup by 2012 and the company's announcement at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show that it seriously will consider building a hybrid V-8 version of its next full-size Tundra pickup truck in years to come.

A hybrid MR2 and Tundra would likely follow the Camry into Toyota's growing hybrid lineup, which will soon include the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX sport-utes in addition to the Prius. Toyota, selling 17,564 Prius in 2004 through May, according to Automotive News, has already outsold last year's five-month tally by more than double and is on pace to outperform its initial hybrid sales estimate for the year.

Toyota says it does not comment on specific future product plans, but reveals it is planning to expand its hybrid push in the U.S. and the expansion mostly focuses on vehicles that get better performance than is typical of traditional hybrids. -Jack Gilbert
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7254
Old 06-23-04, 12:55 AM
TheOfficeBoy
Rookie

I hope this comes true.

Around some Toyota boards, it is widely speculated that the MR2 line will be discontinued (which would be a darned shame).
Old 06-24-04, 06:02 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TheOfficeBoy
I hope this comes true.

Around some Toyota boards, it is widely speculated that the MR2 line will be discontinued (which would be a darned shame).
i am not a big fan of the current generation MR-S... i loved the last generation of MR2's... probably one of the best handling cars i've ever driven.
Old 06-24-04, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by TheOfficeBoy
I hope this comes true.

To drop the MR2 would be a bad idea......it is one of the few true competitors to the Miata in that price range (low 20's). If anything, Toyota doesn't build ENOUGH of them...the average dealership has very few in stock. Miatas, of course, are no problem....there are plenty of them.

An MR2 Hybrid would also be a good idea....at least on paper. Just THINK of the gas mileage that that super-light car will give with a part-time electric motor. But I can forsee some real engineering problems adding both an electric motor and a large battery pack Biggest problem is: where re they going to PUT them?.....the car is already has almost no storage space whatsoever, even in its normal gas-engine form.
Old 06-24-04, 06:35 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its really exciting to see an all hybrid lineup coming from toyota -- you know they'll do it right.
Old 06-24-04, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Question Do it right?

Originally posted by adidas1532
its really exciting to see an all hybrid lineup coming from toyota -- you know they'll do it right.
Well, that's the problem.....CAN they do it right with the MR2 ? ...see my earlier post. Finding space in that tiny car for a large battery pack AND the electric motor both could be a real problem.

Yes, they found space in the Civic Hybrids and the Prius, but those were Front Wheel Drive designs that were inherently more space-efficient. The MR2's mid-engine design is VERY cramped at best.
Old 06-24-04, 07:25 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the hood area should provide plenty of space since the engine is behind the driver. I know there is the spare tire, but it should have decent space left for batteries.
Old 06-24-04, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BrickHead
Well, the hood area should provide plenty of space since the engine is behind the driver. I know there is the spare tire, but it should have decent space left for batteries.
Well, we'll see. The hood area is low and flat, and the hybrid battery case is pretty bulky...it has to be to hold enough juice to power the electric motor when the gas engine shuts off.

I think the real answer is small diesels...when we get the clean low-sulfur fuel here in the U.S. in a couple of years. Diesels have plenty of low-end torque, offer comparable mileage to hybrids without all the complexity and bulk of two powertrains, and have come a L-O-N-G way from the sluggish, stinky, noisy, hard-to-start, unreliable, piece-of-s--- diesels of 20-25 years ago.
Old 07-06-04, 01:09 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

In the July issue of C&D, they're reporting 300hp hybrid by the end of the decade.
Old 07-07-04, 05:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusLuver
In the July issue of C&D, they're reporting 300hp hybrid by the end of the decade.
This may defeat the very purpose of hybrids, though. They are not meant to be dragsters, although the 300 HP could come in handy on a truck for towing. But the main purpose (so far) for hybrids is to stretch the gas dollars and to have very low emissions. High-performance cars are best left with big-displacement or turbo gas engines.
Old 07-08-04, 06:06 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
High-performance cars are best left with big-displacement or turbo gas engines.
C&D says 3.3L V6.
Sucks