Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Cooking up a new V8 ? For the next NSX ? (NSX threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04 | 02:49 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like Porsche and Ferrari got some serious competition.
Hopefully the price isnt bumped up much.
Old 06-28-04 | 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by Xenthar
Its all personal opinion. lol...i saw the argument you had with someone.
haha well, not sure if i treat that as arguement to me it's a fact, and i don't see why i need to argue with people
Old 06-28-04 | 07:52 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I had a 95 NSX-T for a while. I sold it actually to get my SC and another RX7 TT at the time.

It was a very nice car, but coming from all turbo cars it was also IMO quite boring to drive.

-Ethan
Old 06-28-04 | 09:47 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

LUCKY, LUCKY, LUCKY, ....
Old 06-29-04 | 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Talking Yeah, lucky

Originally posted by lexusondubs
dave you lucky dog but what is it about black ???
Dave.....you're probably lucky in more ways than one. I don't think NC has a property tax on cars like we do here in VA. If it did, with cars like that, you...and maybe your girl friend.....would be paying taxes up the a--.
Old 06-29-04 | 10:15 AM
nbovelle
Driver School Candidate

No property taxes in DC either!
Old 06-29-04 | 10:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yeah, we've got property taxes here too, but not quite as high as VA (I grew up in Roanoke and lived in Harrisonburg, Reston, Arlington, Alexandria). But our state taxes are higher so they get us in other ways.

Now that I have the supercharger on my GS and all these new cars are coming out with mid - low 5 second 0-60 times, she's thinking more seriously about adding FI to her NSX or selling it to get something new.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-29-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-29-04 | 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Seems like part of the problem with the NSX is just its consistantly low sales. Can't speak for CA, but in this area...and this is a very affluent area where I live, one of the richest in the country...the NSX has not sold well at all. It's pretty rare that I see one at all, much less new ones. In the forum here, Doc C has one....so does Dave GS4's girlfriend....but even here in a car-enthusiast forum they don't seem to be that popular. Perhaps Honda and Acura have just decided (for now) that the car is too expensive to manufacture ( with its all-aluminum structure) and not cost-effective enough with its low sales to even justify continuing to produce it, much less spending more money to develop a V8. One can argue all day long about whether it really needs a V8 or not...that, of course, is a whole other issue....but right now the main question seems to be if the car itself stays or not.
My opinion....for the record.....is, yes....keep it, V8 or not. The NSX, as an all-aluminum semi-exotic, occupies a unique place right now in the market that has no other direct competition.....the upcoming Lotus Elise is smaller and cheaper.
Old 06-29-04 | 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i agree, maybe the numbers on the nsx isn't just attractive enough. on the track it's a monster and can really hang with the big dogs, but you know the public, they look at numbers and the hp numbers and so are just not attractive....

i think honda could have done a better image on the car
Old 06-29-04 | 12:43 PM
nbovelle
Driver School Candidate

I had a 95 NSX-T for a while. I sold it actually to get my SC and another RX7 TT at the time.

It was a very nice car, but coming from all turbo cars it was also IMO quite boring to drive.

-Ethan

I love the NSX! It is not the fastes, but in handles like a go kart and the sound is awesome!
There are not a lot of places where you can really open a car up in the city or suburbs. The NSX has just the right balance of power and handling to be really exciting if you know how to drive it. I sometimes think that horsepower and 1/4 mile times are a little overrated. If I want all out speed, I get on my Honda CBR1100XX! :-)

Nate in DC
Old 06-29-04 | 01:16 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I agree. They are only bringing 160 of them to US this year. I don't think they've promoted the car well at all, and I also think the 2002 freshening was 4 years too late. I have always wanted one since the first one I saw. Personally, I still think it's a supercar and it's plenty of car for me. I know it only goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, but that's all my fat a$$ can handle!!! It is very well built, and oil changes at delaership aren't $700 like a Ferrari, just $39.95 like a Camry or Accord. It's too expensive for the Corvetters and not expensive enough for the Ferrari guys. I think when it came out, it boggled people's minds that you could have a car like that that you could drive reliably everyday like any other Honda. Kind of like the LS400 when it came out that showed you could get a killer reliable luxury sedan for $39,995. It was ground breaking!!!! I know the NSX is dated and a little slow, but I smile everytime that VTEC kicks in behind my head at 6,000 RPM. I've never had complete stranger drool over a car like this one has. People want to take photos and they go nuts over it. I look at the rarity another way. In Denver I'd see several SC430s a day when I was driving around. Lots of Corvettes!! But never an NSX. When I did see one, I about broke my neck looking at it. Although, if Lexus builds that concept sports car, I may have to put another stall on the garage!!!
Just my $.02!!
Old 06-29-04 | 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

seriously, with all due respect, the 0-60 of the nsx isn't want wins the name for the car. the incredible balance and the handling is what we should look at. look at all the races among cars like m3, nsx, m5, etc.... on the straigt (starting point) you see that those cars they literally leave the nsx behind. coz' yes, the nsx isn't fast

but when it starts going into turns, you see the nsx catch up in no time period. that's the beauty of perfect balance and handling. power is of little use when there is no control imho take the nsx, go through a few turns, and you know what it takes to be a super car

i totally agree that the nsx, when it first came out, is just like the ls400 when it was debut. it BROKE all the rules. you don't need to spend 200k to get a ferrari to have an engine behind you. you don't need to get the horse batch to be fast. the door doesn't have to go upward instead of outward in order to have that slick style. to me it's like honda looked at ferrari and lambo, shaked their shoulders and went "huh? what's so special about those cars again? hey guys, wanna spend 10 mins on this and scare them off?" well, 10 mins later the nsx was built and it shocked the whole world

i can't praise the nsx enough on what status and image it gives to jdm super car history. now then again, the marketing part... that's different
Old 06-29-04 | 05:58 PM
BLKSC400
Driver

Default Re: Acura NSX

Originally posted by nbovelle
I was just wondering if any othe SC owners had an Acura NSX.
I have one and think that the SC and the NSX are the finest cars out of Japan.
They are both featured on the cover of a book called Japanese Supercars.
I have the exact same book and it calls the NSX "A Wolf in Honda Clothing". I love these Japanese supercars; as long as they are black.

Old 06-29-04 | 09:16 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I just got a brand new NSX about 2 months ago. Sorry, it's not black, but silver with silver leather. I loved my SC430 and still think it's one of the best cars made, but I have been wanting an NSX since I saw one back in 1991. Anyway, if you get a chance to drive one, you should do it. That engine singing behind your head is something else. I still miss the Mark Levinson stereo, and the more polished ride of my SC, but this NSX is one hell of a car!!!

Dave, your girlfirend's NSX should be easily in the low 5 second 0-60 times (post 1997 should be 4.5-4.8 depending on source), and if that's not enough for her there are two words...... Comptech Supercharger!! Not driven an NSX with one, but I've heard one run, and heard it makes a real beast out of the car. Take care.
Old 06-30-04 | 11:51 AM
rogers2
Racer

A few days ago my bank approve my loan request and i'm really trying to decide rather or not I should get a old 2001GS430 or a NSX. Of course if I purchase a NSX I plan to purchase a old civic at the auction the following day. At this moment I don't know what to do. Man everytime I see a NSX my heart drop. At this moment i'm afraid to even go pick up thew loan b/c i'm afraid of what I might do.

Quick Reply: Honda Cooking up a new V8 ? For the next NSX ? (NSX threads merged)