Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

need advice on speeding ticket.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 09:01 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by 04GS300
I'm still shocked he actually wrote a ticket for only 5 over. I've NEVER heard of that before. It has to be at least 9 over for a point in NC. 15 over gets you 3 points. Those are insurance points, I'm not sure about license points. But heck you could come up with a million good reasons/excuses that you sped up 5mph for a sec.
i don't believe i can state any speed over the speed limit even if it's 1mph over since i'm driving pass the speed limit as the sign posted. it would be up to the judge to decide if it's warranted. there goes my mod $ if i have to pay. damn!!
btw. thanks for everyone reply to this.
Old 07-01-04, 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by omegagavin
I have a lawyer that has my speeding tickets amended to faulty equipment. He has some kind of hook-up in the courthouse. What he does is changes it from speeding to a broken speedometer, and then produces some kind of receipt saying I had it fixed and all is OK. I gotta pay him 2 bills, but it's worth it. We may have more graft in Kentucky than you do in your region though. You should ask around and see if this can be done in your area.
umm.... just curious.... isn't that frault?
Old 07-01-04, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GSing430
when he asked me if i knew how fast i was going, i replied that i didn't know/pay attention to how fast i was going. i stated that he was pacing me for awhile at 90+ but when he came back, that told me that he only indicated 70mph since he didn't won't me to get my license suspended. i take that he assumes i was going 90+ but don't have factual proof. the only problem w/ goin to court is inconvenient. i've been working graveyard shift and don't get off til 8:30am and it's 1 and 1/2 hour away.
yeah timing sucks, i don't know how you can work the court time. but most of the court sessions don't start until noon isn't it?

well like i said look at the ticket and see if it says about the radar used (he would have written down the serial number of the radar). if not, you have a much better chance

how about getting a lawyer? you don't have to go if you have a lawyer
Old 07-01-04, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in that case could i contest that my speedometer were off due to the tires size?
i don't think so coz' you know the tire size is out of spec. it only works if the speedo of the car is off by error
Old 07-01-04, 11:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
umm.... just curious.... isn't that frault?
Not in KY.....you wouldn't believe some of the things that go on there....especially in the rural, somewhat isolated mountainous eastern part. I have a friend who used to be a deputy sheriff there.
Old 07-01-04, 12:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by mmarshall
Not in KY.....you wouldn't believe some of the things that go on there....especially in the rural, somewhat isolated mountainous eastern part. I have a friend who used to be a deputy sheriff there.
"produces some sort of receipt" and you tell me that's not frault? having it common doesn't mean it's not a frault?
Old 07-01-04, 12:12 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also have a written trial by declaration if going to court is a pain. You tell you side of the story and the cop tells his side. A clerk/magistrate/judge reviews the two declarations and makes a decision. You don't ever have to show up in court. You can request an appeal if you don't like the outcome. You have a good chance with claiming calibration & the basic speed law since it's only 5miles over.

It doesn't matter how fast you were going, it's what you got written up for.

FYI: If you got a ticket by radar/lidar, there has to have been a traffic survey done in the last 5 yrs. Otherwise it is automatically thrown out.
Old 07-01-04, 01:32 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when he asked me if i knew how fast i was going, i replied that i didn't know/pay attention to how fast i was going. i stated that he was pacing me for awhile at 90+ but when he came back, that told me that he only indicated 70mph since he didn't won't me to get my license suspended. i take that he assumes i was going 90+ but don't have factual proof. the only problem w/ goin to court is inconvenient. i've been working graveyard shift and don't get off til 8:30am and it's 1 and 1/2 hour away.

Yu know, as far as it is, you should definately make some time to go to court for it. A job won't matter if you can't drive to work
Old 07-01-04, 01:40 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ntran18
FYI: If you got a ticket by radar/lidar, there has to have been a traffic survey done in the last 5 yrs. Otherwise it is automatically thrown out.
From what I understand, speed trap laws (which require a traffic survey) only apply to local roads where the city lowers the speed limit below the maximum speed. What this law does is prevent cities from lowering the speed limit to such an unreasonably low amount because cities do this just to raise revenue. What a traffic survey does is measure the speed of vehicles that travel through a certain stretch of road and then the city determines the speed that 80% of the people drive through the area and usually lower it by 5 mph.

The general rule is that the maximum speed of a vehicle should be 65 mph. This is the speed the federal government wants you to travel, but states can raise this amount but they risk losing federal funds. To lower the speed limit, the city must lower it to an amount that is reasonable. That's why violating the maximum speed limit is theoretically harder to fight because a driver must not exceed the maximum amount, but violating a speed limit is easier because it is lowered to a speed that is deemed reasonable. That's why cops on city streets usually ticket you for going 10-15 mph over the limit because anything less may be reasonable for the conditions. On the freeway, there is a maximum speed, so cops are usually more strict unless you are driving within the flow of traffic, but there have been times when the flow of traffic is too fast that the cop cannot ticket everyone, so what they do is they turn on their lights and start weaving side to side and slow down so everyone slows down. Of course, there are areas where the city has no say about a speed limit, such as through a school zone or in an alley.

Here's an example:

-The maximum speed of a vehicle shall be no greater than 65 m.p.h Cal. Vehicle Code § 22349. (so violating this is presumably harder to fight because it's the maximum speed at which a vehicle can be driven).

-But, the speeds of vehicles can be regulated to a lower speed through the basic speed law (aka speed limits): No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property. Cal Veh. Code § 22350. So if you are charged with violating the basic speed law, it is easier to fight because, regardless of the posted speed limit, you can be driving at a reasonable or prudent speed for the conditions.

-And then there are areas such as school zones, elderly centers, etc. where you cannot exceed the speed limit in these areas because it is presumed that the posted speed limit is reasonable and prudent, so exceeding the speed limit in these areas shows you are being unreasonable and not prudent.

This is why some signs on the road say Speed Limit while the ones on the freeway say Maximum Speed

Last edited by LB Lex; 07-01-04 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 01:51 PM
04GS300
Pole Position

Rominl I think that's a pretty common practice...at least it is here. Traffic courts are packed and they want to get people in and out as fast as possible. Especially if you have a clean record. You still have to pay court costs and a fine for improper equipment, but you get no points, so the county makes $, you save insurance $, and everybody's happy. I had a 62 in 45 dropped to improper equipment about 2 yrs ago. A lawyer makes it a lot easier.
Old 07-01-04, 02:14 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
"produces some sort of receipt" and you tell me that's not frault? having it common doesn't mean it's not a frault?
Rom, I suppose it is illegal in the strictist sense of the word, but I don't think fraud would be the charge if the county decided to make it an issue. But then again, speeding is illegal too, so why split hairs? I live in Louisville, BTW, so not really that rural. Population over a million.
Old 07-01-04, 04:26 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Woogie
credentials to prove me wrong?
I've been given a speeding ticket by a cop pacing me.... that's all the proof I need

Maybe the laws are different in your state, but this is CA, and it can and does happen here.

However, in this case, I do agree with you... what the cop didn't really "pace" him in this scenario... I just didn't want people to think that pacing couldn't happen

Last edited by Davtown; 07-01-04 at 04:30 PM.