Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti's European start stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 10:52 PM
LexFather

Default Infiniti's European start stalls

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/News_...p?NA_ID=209125

Infiniti’s much-mooted arrival in Europe to spark a luxury-car war with Lexus will be delayed until 2008 at the earliest, because of the lack of a big-capacity diesel engine. ‘We need a good V6 diesel before we can come to Europe,’ said parent company Nissan’s product chief, Patrick Pelata. ‘Our launch must be based on products, not brand.’

The firm is also concerned that European dealers will need to be bolstered before Infiniti can break into Europe and compete with homegrown luxury brands like BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes.

‘There’s a long way to go before we can deliver a satisfactory experience in showrooms,’ admitted Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn.

Because of a strict five-year model cycle, the delays mean that none of the current Infiniti line-up will be sold in Britain. However, bosses say that the next generation of models will stick to the existing brief of front-engined, rear- or four-wheel-drive luxury saloons and SUVs, as displayed by the M45 concept unveiled at the New York Motor Show in April.

Western Europe will be the final major market to sell Infiniti. Sales start in Korea next year, with Japan, China and Russia coming on stream in 2006 and 2007

Old 07-02-04, 11:37 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are right about the diesels, but they are taking their dam time....sheesh!
Old 07-02-04, 02:01 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admire them for waiting until they have the product right to launch it, and for (seemingly) admitting honestly that they're not totally on the ball.

OTOH, I suspect there are other factors at work here. Nissan/Infiniti has been rolling out an ungodly number of new vehicles these past couple of years. Horsepower fraud, drastic drops in initial quality rankings, and sluggish sales of most models are sure to put a damper on their enthusiasm. They can't afford the continued engineering and marketing it takes for all these new models if the revenue isn't rolling in shortly afterward.
Old 07-02-04, 02:34 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Iceman
I admire them for waiting until they have the product right to launch it, and for (seemingly) admitting honestly that they're not totally on the ball.

OTOH, I suspect there are other factors at work here. Nissan/Infiniti has been rolling out an ungodly number of new vehicles these past couple of years. Horsepower fraud, drastic drops in initial quality rankings, and sluggish sales of most models are sure to put a damper on their enthusiasm. They can't afford the continued engineering and marketing it takes for all these new models if the revenue isn't rolling in shortly afterward.
horsepower fraud? sluggish sales? I dont know where your reading that but it isnt true at all. If anything, the horsepower they release is underrated. The horse is more than they state...not less. Nissan/infiniti hasnt had a hard time selling any of the new models. Drops in initial quality? Im not so sure about nissan, but infiniti quality is top notch
Old 07-02-04, 04:40 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

LOL, wow, poor Infiniti...Nothing ever seems to go their way...Maybe it's a sign...
Old 07-02-04, 05:28 PM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

hopefully infiniti does better than lexus cuz lexus isnt doing well in europe at all. The used car segment is doing 'okay' , but definetely not the new lex's. I think euro mags described lexus as boring and bland. I would have expected the LS430 to do good though. I guess europeans are more into performance..something infiniti can offer imo

Last edited by Xenthar; 07-02-04 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-02-04, 06:03 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by Xenthar
horsepower fraud? sluggish sales? I dont know where your reading that but it isnt true at all. If anything, the horsepower they release is underrated. The horse is more than they state...not less. Nissan/infiniti hasnt had a hard time selling any of the new models. Drops in initial quality? Im not so sure about nissan, but infiniti quality is top notch
We attribute "horsepower fraud" by the fact that some of the actual performance quoted compared to what testers actually get simply does not add up. Take for example a road and track comparison (side by side for a whole day) of 03 LS430 and Q45. The Q45s V8 is larger and rated at 50 hp stronger, and yet despite weighing only about 100 lbs more than the lexus, would get beaten 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile again and again by the "less powerful" lexus. Some of this could be attributed to the older model 5 spd auto in the infiniti vs. the new 6 spd with the lexus, but for crying out loud, the car has alot more power and was losing by over half a second every time!

The numbers it put down were only slightly better than the road and track tested '92 SC400!!

Seriously, I do believe hp quotes to be accurate, but the transmissions and other components must be seriously robbing alot of that power, because not much of it reaches the wheels...
Old 07-02-04, 07:21 PM
LexFather

The Nissan Maxima owners of 02-03 had a petition that their cars did not make the stated 255hp but the same 240hp of the Alitma. The FX 45/M45 and Q45 and I35 well sell very slow. They are riding the G35 and FX 35 into glory. The new M35/45 will help and the QX 56 is selling well despite every magazine saying it's a cheap interior having rattling Mississippi made bus.

If u look at Nissan's numbers more CAREFULLY, you will see the Nissan Altima is what is carrying them on their back right now.
There is absolutely NO denying the fact they are coming out with some GREAT new products, Nissan and Infiniti.

I agree the 350Z and G35 have gotten great reviews there(Europe) as here. No surprise, they are great cars.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-02-04 at 07:21 PM.

Old 07-02-04, 07:26 PM
LexFather

Oh well. Coming home tonight, I thought it was HILARIOUS and thought of all the silly threads here when I drove by the old Lexus dealership (just moved into a TOP rate facility in perfect location, Nalley Lexus) and well, the Infiniti dealership is moving into it's old space.

I literally giggled. Some big britches to fill and how appropriate.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-03-04 at 01:50 AM.