Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BEST of the BEST (Robb Report)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 06:10 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default BEST of the BEST (Robb Report)

Best of the Best Sports Cars
Lamborghini Gallardo
Porsche 911 GT3
Porsche Carrera GT
Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
Ford GT
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Ferrari Challenge Stradale

Best of the Best Coupes
Bentley Continental GT
BMW 645Ci
Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

Best of the Best Sedans
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XJR
Lexus LS 430
Audi A8L
Cadillac CTS-V

Best of the Best Sport-Utility Vehicles
Cadillac SRX
Lexus GX 470
Infiniti QX56
BMW X5

In its 16th annual "Best of the Best" special issue, Robb Report magazine, an authority on international luxury lifestyle, named the "Best of the Best" in four different categories for premium-quality production automobiles.

The Robb Report "Best of the Best" issue also includes boats, aircraft, sport bikes, cruisers, golf, travel, timepieces, jewelry, wine, spirits, fashion, and other high-quality items.
Lamborghini's new Gallardo, a V10-powered mid-engine all-wheel-drive sports car, was top choice in the sports car category. Robert Ross, Robb Report senior vice president, described the Gallardo as "extreme but friendly, uncompromising but comfortable, and an absolute effortless blast to drive."

The Bentley Continental GT was named the Robb Report Car of the Year for 2004 in February, and was chosen as "Best of the Best" in the coupe category. According to Paul Dean, Robb Report editor-at-large, "the $150,000 Continental GT is fresh and thoroughly superb, never falling short or hitting long."

"Best of the Best" in the sedan category was the Maserati Quattroporte, which "shouts to the world that Maserati is back and building durable, high-quality, passionate, fast, truly elegant and thoroughly distinctive automobiles," according to Dean.

In the sport-utility category, the Cadillac SRX was the top choice, singled out for its ability to "address specific needs without trying to be a utilitarian panacea." The low seating position which "enhances the car-like feel" and the "massive glass sunroof that slides open over the first two rows of seats" were praised by Christian Gulliksen, Robb Report associate editor.

Hmm . . . no Maybach, RR Phantom, S-class, 7 series, & no Enzo.
Old 07-06-04, 06:31 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm obviously those are just his personal favorites so it really means nothing to the rest of the world.
Old 07-06-04, 12:12 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Hmm...interesting. I figured the Enzo was the benchmark. At least worthy of being in the top 7. They had to have forgotten it. It is far superior to its baby brother, the Challenge Stradale. The only other thing that bothers me is the Infiniti QX56. I honestly think its THE ugliest car in production. On a side note, I saw a Continental GT the other day, They are HOTTTT!

James
Old 07-06-04, 12:20 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

time to start saving up for LS430... i love that car... really really love that car....
Old 07-06-04, 12:24 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Milla...
Hmm obviously those are just his personal favorites so it really means nothing to the rest of the world.
Agree. These picks would've been much more convincing if an in-depth analysis and comparison were given.

Originally posted by jet864
The only other thing that bothers me is the Infiniti QX56. I honestly think its THE ugliest car in production.
I guess they are just trying to include every luxury marque on the market so not to upset any advertisers.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-06-04 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
Hmm...interesting. I figured the Enzo was the benchmark. At least worthy of being in the top 7. They had to have forgotten it. It is far superior to its baby brother, the Challenge Stradale. The only other thing that bothers me is the Infiniti QX56. I honestly think its THE ugliest car in production. On a side note, I saw a Continental GT the other day, They are HOTTTT!

James
The QX56 is uglier than the Pontiac Aztek? Hmmmm..... And no offense, but compared to many beautiful cars that Ferrari has done, the Enzo doesn't strike me as good-looking at all......it is just one mean machine on the track, that's all.
Old 07-07-04, 09:56 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
The QX56 is uglier than the Pontiac Aztek? Hmmmm..... And no offense, but compared to many beautiful cars that Ferrari has done, the Enzo doesn't strike me as good-looking at all......it is just one mean machine on the track, that's all.
Ok, ok, you got me. Nothing compares to the Aztek. I know there are more beautiful cars than the Enzo, but from its full carbon body to every performance feature, it is world class in every respect. I'm just surprised the perfect performance of the Enzo didn't get it a placing above the GT3 or turbo 'vert.

James