Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Handi What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 11:11 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Handi What?

Deleted for privacy

Last edited by Woogie; 07-19-20 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 11:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Sure. What do you think that all handicapped folks drive big vans with a chair lift? Could also be someone with an elderly or handicapped relative.
Old 07-06-04, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Sure. What do you think that all handicapped folks drive big vans with a chair lift? Could also be someone with an elderly or handicapped relative.
Well, Dave.....that elderly or handicapped relative had better have a strong set of kidneys and a strong back. A Viper's suspension is not exactly Town-Car smooth...especially the semi-competition versions.
Old 07-06-04, 11:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, Dave.....that elderly or handicapped relative had better have a strong set of kidneys and a strong back. A Viper's suspension is not exactly Town-Car smooth...especially the semi-competition versions.
Yeah sure a town car would be smoother, but would you drive one? If you were handicapped in some way that limited your mobility but could still physically drive and afford a Viper would you get one (or similar sporty alternative)? I would in a heartbeat.

The point I was trying to make was we shouldn't stereotype folks unfortunately branded as 'handicapped'. They can do a lot more than you might think reading the plate, including driving a viper. Not all handicapped people are infirm and will 'break' if you drive them around in (or they drive) a car with a stiff suspension .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-06-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 12:22 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Deleted for privacy

Old 07-06-04, 12:46 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 17yr old friend had cancer and lost part of his leg. He drives around in an 04 M3. I'm sure the handicap tag throws some people off. Well, so does the part that he's 17.

James
Old 07-06-04, 01:46 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Deleted for privacy

Old 07-06-04, 01:47 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Vipers were never made in automatic tho i thought. So if a person was handicapped, how in the hell would they clutch it? iff they were still pretty sharp, they can shift without the clutch i suppose.
Old 07-06-04, 02:09 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Handicapped includes many physical ailments aside from a loss of limbs, such as heart problems or asthma. My girlfriend, who has asthma, is eligible and is thinking of getting a handicap plaque because she has a difficult time walking long distances, especially if she has to park far away from an entrance to school.
Old 07-06-04, 03:31 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes it seems like it's too easy to get a handicap plate/sticker.
Why is it that the majority of of those that are registered as handicap
don't need wheel chairs and are able to walk around large stores and
malls with no problem. Yet they need a space right at the door.

I don't mean to sound insensitive but I just don't get it.

As far as a handicap person driving Viper; I don't think so.
Have you ever climbed in and out of a Viper? It's much more
difficult than walking!
Old 07-06-04, 10:18 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by genearch
I'm also a believer that fat/obese <> Handicapped, but that's just me...
According to The Simpsons it's 300 lbs to be handicapped..

As others have said handicapped isn't always noticeable... but I see what you mean, it is somewhat abnormal to see a Viper with a handicapped plate.. (although not unbelieveable..)
Old 07-07-04, 12:55 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Many people use the handicap spots for just general ease and laziness, suddenly parking 100 feet away is to much exercise, I've used the handicap spots with the blue tags but after seeing several people in some serious positions I would never want to be, I stopped.

To many people get them from their doctors and take advantage of them, I had to meet this kid and I was waiting for him and when he showed up 35 minutes later he was in a wheel chair, he could not find parking, that was just messed up, then Im standing their with him and people are walking to their cars parked in handicap spots all fine
Old 07-07-04, 05:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Yeah sure a town car would be smoother, but would you drive one? If you were handicapped in some way that limited your mobility but could still physically drive and afford a Viper would you get one (or similar sporty alternative)? I would in a heartbeat.

The point I was trying to make was we shouldn't stereotype folks unfortunately branded as 'handicapped'. They can do a lot more than you might think reading the plate, including driving a viper. Not all handicapped people are infirm and will 'break' if you drive them around in (or they drive) a car with a stiff suspension .
Yeah, Dave, I've driven both Town Cars and Vipers.....I have a close friend who has worked in both limo firms and exotic sports-car rental firms. In fact, I set up the deal for them several years ago by phone on one of the two Viper GTS coupes they bought....beautiful....blue with twin Shelby-type white stripes. Most older people and handicapped people would not care for a Viper, though...it is VERY low to the ground and hard to get in and out of, and is stiffly sprung.

Of course, as you point out, there are always exceptions, and, like you, I don't believe in stereotypes. I've said so in other posts. But most of the older and hadicapped people who have come to me for car-buying advice have stated they want two things......a soft ride and PLENTY of sheet metal around them for crash protection. ( Mercury Grand Marquis, Buick Park Avenue, etc...) and the LS430 for those who can afford it.
Another reason for their preference for big cars is what the driving instructors teach them in the "Alive 55" courses for aging drivers.....these driving courses encourage traditional full-size cars for safety.
Old 07-07-04, 06:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The handicap pass goes with the person not with the driver/owner of the car. My mom can walk but has an arthritic knee. Whenever I take my mom out shopping in my SC430, I park in handicap spaces with her handicap pass hanging from the rear-view mirror & have gotten strange looks.(this may dispel the notion that the SC430 is for older people, it's still a sporty looking car )

I even had a guy copying my license plate number when we came out from shopping. I scolded him since he has no business doing that - checking my license plate with the authorities issuing these permits won't prove anything since the holder can put it on any car.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-07-04 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-07-04, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Good job, SexySC

Yes...the passes can be of either type.....a portable one for a handicapped person who rides around in other cars, or a permanent one like a license plate for handicapped car owners.

On an unrelated topic, SexySC, it's good that you care enough to help your mother like that with her needs as she ages....just like the love and help she showed you when you needed it. You say she has arthritis.....if her doctor agrees, have her try a prescription medication called Indomethacin (or Indocin).....in capsules. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory that has worked very well for me, and in general it works well on gout, arthritis, tendonitis, and other inflammatory disorders.

Quick Reply: Handi What?