Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New extended Mitsubishi warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question New extended Mitsubishi warranties

For those of you who have had not heard yet, Mitsubishi is going to a 10 year / 100,000 mile drive train warranty and a 5-year vehicle warranty ala Hyundai and Kia www.mitsubishicars.com

Undoubedly this is being done to bolster confidence in the company after recent years of scandal, poor quality, ugly designs, and poor marketing.....several of their top officers, including the CEO, are in police custody awaiting trial on corruption charges.

How do you Forum members feel about this? Do you think it will be successful? Will it help sales....and even more important....the company's perception?
Old 07-07-04, 09:51 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think eventually car companies will have to follow and match close to the 100/10 warranty... like chrysler is doing the 70/7 warranty. In any case they will still keep the short warranty on cars like EvoVIII but offer longer warranties on the others in the lineup.
Old 07-07-04, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't recall the warranty being shorter on the Evo, but you may be right....it would make sense considering how hard the average Evo is driven. However, Subaru's standard warrranty, to my knowledge, is good on the Sti.
Old 07-07-04, 10:00 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mmarshall
I don't recall the warranty being shorter on the Evo, but you may be right....it would make sense considering how hard the average Evo is driven. However, Subaru's standard warrranty, to my knowledge, is good on the Sti.
yes. the warranties are the same now... but if the do lengthen the warranty they will keep the warranties on the STI and Evo the same as it is now... sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-07-04, 04:43 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought the ty for evo is shorter. did it just get changed fairly recent?
Old 07-07-04, 10:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

doesnt matter how the evo is driven; if you try to make a warranty claim; its YOUR fault that it broke... no matter that almost EVERY EVO VIII's clutch fails before 10k miles with light driving; and before 5k with spirited driving...

clutches arent supposed to fail that fast and some reps from diff clutch companies are investigating it; seems to be a few defects that cause premature wear (the clutch is stronger than the STi clutch, yet you dont see STi owners all lining up for new clutches)

mitsubishi sucks and is run by a bunch of crooks; if you disagree, head over to the evolutionm.net forums and take a look at all the warranty claims denied... yes some people will beat the hell out of their cars,but not everyone
Old 07-08-04, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah..it looks like the Evo could use better brakes and clutch....Car and Driver Magazine wore the ones out on their long-term test-car prematurely, even considering the hard use they give it. Of course, being part of the automotive press, Car and Driver often gets attention and service from the manufacturers that the average customer doesn't.

The Evo isn't their bread-and-butter car, though......it is bought and driven by only a small minority of Mitsubishi customers....mostly younger auto enthusiasts.
But the REAL question for Mitsubishi here isn't going to be on niche cars and slow-sellers like the Evo and Diamante, but for the mainstream products that keep them in buisness.....their Galant, Lancer, Eclipse, and SUV's.
Old 07-08-04, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Bean
doesnt matter how the evo is driven; if you try to make a warranty claim; its YOUR fault that it broke... no matter that almost EVERY EVO VIII's clutch fails before 10k miles with light driving; and before 5k with spirited driving...

clutches arent supposed to fail that fast and some reps from diff clutch companies are investigating it; seems to be a few defects that cause premature wear (the clutch is stronger than the STi clutch, yet you dont see STi owners all lining up for new clutches)

mitsubishi sucks and is run by a bunch of crooks; if you disagree, head over to the evolutionm.net forums and take a look at all the warranty claims denied... yes some people will beat the hell out of their cars,but not everyone
Yes, Bean....up to now, with a few exceptions, Mitsubishi basically HAS been run by a bunch of crooks....but see my first post.....the CEO and his top assistants are now either locked up or out on bail awaiting trial for these issues.
Even the joint Chrysler-Mitsubishi plant at Normal, IL ( the well-known Diamond Star plant ) has had numerous problems....everything from poor quality control to sexual harrasment and racial discrimation suits.
Old 07-08-04, 11:51 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

chry-mitsu-hyundai are going to be making 2.4L engine together... hmmmmm
Old 05-03-07, 01:28 PM
drrdf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not only the Evo which has problems with Mitsubishi warranties, or has none in reality! I purchased a 1.6i Mitsubishi Lancer Elegance in the UK in 2006, and by the time this car was only 10 months old all sorts of things started failing. I purchased this vehicle because I felt that with a 3 year warranty if anything went wrong according to the written terms I would not have any problems. Little did I know the reality with Mitsubishi !! The car had only done 7900 miles, and none of the faults which developed were excluded under the written terms of the warranty. The windscreen wipers fell apart, the windscreen suddenly started cracking from the edge inwards whilst the vehicle was standing still not being driven, due to a faulty spot weld spelter in manufacture, the drivers seat fell apart, the air conditioning failed and so on. I dread to think what will fail on it next!

When I took the car to the Mitsubishi dealer from whom I had purchased it they were most disinterested. They stated that they would have to contact Mitsubishi before they could do anything, and Mitsubishi usually did not agree to any repairs under their warranty. (If only they had told me that BEFORE I purchased the car!!) Then after a considerable time during which they did not contact me, when I kept on telephoning and asking what was happening they stated that Mitsubishi refused to repair any of these faults because the vehicle was too old - at 7900 miles only and 10 months old, although it was supposed to have a 3 year warranty !!!!

I wrote to Mitsubishi HQ in Europe and they also did not want to know about the problems. I have now written to Mitsubishi in Japan but I don't expect that their attitude will be any different.

The present 3 year Mitsubishi "warranty" is a FAKE, so believe me any pretense that they have extended it to 5 years let alone 10 years for power train will be a similar FAKE. From my experience don't be fooled. Mitsubishi do not honor their warranties and will do everything to avoid repairing anything which fails unless you sue them. What sort of warranty is this ? FAKE is the only word to describe it.