Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Chrysler 300 fuels trade-ins of import cars(new pics and info pg 3 & 4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 07:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

I think the 300C is a nice car, and a great bargain. I've seen 0-60 times ~5.3-5.5 seconds and that is FAST.

The car will def have lots of problems most likely and the fit and finish, especially the interior is not up to Lexus standards. But u can say that about most cars when comparing them to a Lex.

If i can just take the HEMI and put it in my GS, it would be perfect.
Old 07-10-04, 03:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These types of recalls are totally normal especially on new models; even Lexus has recalls.
This doesn't mean that it is a low quality car.

Also, the comments about the Interior not being on par with Lexus suprises me.
How can we possibly expect a car that tops out at a bargain $38,000 with a 340 HP V-8
also have a Lexus like interior? This doesn't make any economical sense. Sure the
Lexus ES has a supurb interior, but look at what's powering it. The money is simply
being used in different places and the consumer needs to decide what's important to
them.
Old 07-12-04, 12:48 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2.7L engine would fare a lot better overseas where unlike the Americans, the buyers are not in a who's-got-bigger-engine race. In fact, it would probably do better than its bigger brothers because as I understand it, a lot of foreign countries slap a huge import duty for cars with over a certain displacement. This is why you can find a lot of strange displacement in many countries in Europe (like 1400cc Benz 4-bangers, 1600cc BMW E46 engine, etc) as well as Asia. You should see our newest 900cc Daihatsu Copen convertible. Amazing lil car with a lawnmower engine hahahah.
Old 07-12-04, 04:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
The 2.7L engine would fare a lot better overseas where unlike the Americans, the buyers are not in a who's-got-bigger-engine race. In fact, it would probably do better than its bigger brothers because as I understand it, a lot of foreign countries slap a huge import duty for cars with over a certain displacement. This is why you can find a lot of strange displacement in many countries in Europe (like 1400cc Benz 4-bangers, 1600cc BMW E46 engine, etc) as well as Asia. You should see our newest 900cc Daihatsu Copen convertible. Amazing lil car with a lawnmower engine hahahah.
I agree the 2.7 would sell better in countries with more expensive gas (even at today's prices we still don't have expensive gas compared to Europe and Asia). But here in the U.S. it clearly has been a mistake. As I pointed out in my earlier post, the V6's sit on the lot and collect bird droppings. A few 3.5's are sold here and there, but almost no 2.7's. Some dealers aren't even ordering any more of them. Meanwhile, Hemi's go out the door faster than they come in...and, of course, that means the inevitable dealer markups.
And, unlike the V6's, the Hemi has the cylinder deactivation system to save gas while cruising....hopefully this will be more reliable than the one Cadillac tried in 1981, which was a disaster.
Old 07-18-04, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Old 07-18-04, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Word is, 2-door and verts are coming. The 300 will turn into a SERIES. The 420hp SRT-8 is coming too.

Now they are NOT sure they want to make a 300C wagon. Here is a real one spied in a driveway.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-18-04 at 03:56 PM.

Old 07-18-04, 03:57 PM
LexFather

Lets try this.
Attached Thumbnails New Chrysler 300 fuels trade-ins of import cars(new pics and info pg 3 & 4)-300ctouring.jpg  

Old 07-18-04, 03:57 PM
LexFather

Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails New Chrysler 300 fuels trade-ins of import cars(new pics and info pg 3 & 4)-300ctouring2.jpg  

Old 07-18-04, 04:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The convertible & coupe looks even better than the sedan Not impressed with its interior at all tho Still, avery good car for the price.
Old 07-18-04, 11:17 PM
agreziv
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
not of fan of the coupe but the drop top looks amazing! the 4 door is nice too..
Old 07-19-04, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Word is, 2-door and verts are coming. The 300 will turn into a SERIES. The 420hp SRT-8 is coming too.

Now they are NOT sure they want to make a 300C wagon. Here is a real one spied in a driveway.
I agree.....I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make a 300C wagon. It would not sell in numbers anywhere near what we've seen with the Hemi Sedan (and I stress...Hemi, not the V6'es). The picture alone that you posted tells the story....a 300C wagon would get too much competition from its own brother, the Dodge Magnum wagon.
Old 07-19-04, 10:40 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I must say after seeing a few more on the road, the car is really growing on me. When I was looking into cars in 98, it was actually down to the 300M and the GS. We were ready to get the 300M on specs but once we sat in it, it felt way too cheap. We did not even test drive it after that. You guys know the rest of this story. I certainly like the specs and looks of the new one better but I will have to reserve judgement until I can sit in it and drive it.
Old 07-19-04, 11:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

I too must admit... I have been contemplating a trade of my 03' Yukon for a 300C Hemi, Silver, Loaded, w/ 20's. I am going this week and doing a test drive, so I can get an "overall" impression. There was a guy recently who showed up at one of our weekly Car Show/Meets who had a Black one w/ 22's, custom grille, and chrome accents on the window pillars. Someone said, "Damn! I thjought that was a new PHANTOM!"

I wouldn't go that far. BUT....... It had TONS O' PRESENCE!

I'll keep you posted...
Attached Thumbnails New Chrysler 300 fuels trade-ins of import cars(new pics and info pg 3 & 4)-300c.22s.jpg  
Old 07-19-04, 04:05 PM
LexFather

SRT to Expand

By Kevin Kelly
WardsAuto.com, Jul 14 2004

Plans for the expansion of Chrysler’s LX rear-wheel-drive family of vehicles includes an SRT-8 performance package for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, as well as an all-new 6.1L Hemi V-8.

Performance-car fans should get ready for a series of sport-bred vehicles based on the newly introduced Chrysler Group LX rear-wheel-drive platform. The performance derivatives are set to debut in first-quarter 2005.

Sources within the auto maker tell Ward’s Chrysler will introduce a 300C SRT-8 early in 2005, with a Dodge Charger SRT-8 following in September.

Both vehicles will be powered by the all-new 6.1L version of Chrysler’s highly acclaimed Hemi V-8 engine.

Sources claim the new powerplant will produce 420 hp and 390 lb.-ft. (528 Nm) of torque, a significant 24% horsepower boost from the 340 hp rating of the current 5.7L Hemi.

Sources also indicate the 6.1L Hemi will not feature Chrysler’s much-touted multi-displacement cylinder-deactivation system. The higher-output 6.1L Hemi will be reserved only for performance applications, where fuel economy routinely is not a top priority.

“We’ll keep the 5.7L for mass production applications, but the 6.1L will be reserved for limited high-performance vehicle production,” a Chrysler insider says.

The Charger SRT-8 will feature a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment, boosting the vehicle’s performance potential.

Pilot production of standard Chargers already has begun in preparation for the return of the Charger moniker to Dodge showrooms shortly before the SRT package launches.

The source also indicates the auto maker is toying with the idea of launching a 2-door version of the Charger, as well as a 4-seat convertible, based loosely off the Chrysler Hemi C concept vehicle that debuted at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“I’ve seen some mock-ups, but I’m not sure if it’s been given the green light,” the source says.

Separately, the auto maker confirms it has begun production of all-wheel-drive variants of the 300 Series and Dodge Magnum passenger cars in Brampton, Ont., Canada. The AWD models will go on sale this fall.

Dodge will debut AWD versions of its Magnum SXT and RT wagon a few months before the system is available on the Chrysler 300 Limited, Touring and 300C in the fourth quarter.

The ’05 Magnum SXT AWD will base at $27,900, and the Hemi-powered RT AWD at $31,370.

Base price of the ’05 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD will be $29,370 with the 300 Touring AWD starting at $31,215. The Hemi-powered 300C AWD will base at $34,195.

-----

Yeah, it's got a Hemi... and AWD. All-wheel Drive Joins Rear-wheel Drive on 2005 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum

• New All-wheel-drive Choices Added to Line-up for Outstanding Performance in All Weather Conditions

• All-wheel-drive Vehicles to Go On Sale This Fall Starting at $27,900 (MSRP excluding $625 destination)

One wheel? Two wheels? Three wheels, four? All wheels your preference? Who needs more? Chrysler Group is rounding out its Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 family with all-wheel-drive (AWD) versions of the highly popular vehicles.

For those Dodge customers who prefer all-wheel drive, the 2005 AWD Dodge Magnum SXT and AWD Dodge Magnum RT will be introduced this fall. Later in the fourth quarter, Chrysler all-wheel-drive fans will be able to choose from AWD Chrysler 300 Touring and AWD Chrysler 300C models, as well as an AWD package that will be available as an option for the Chrysler 300 Limited.

"The rear-wheel drive Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 have proven themselves in the marketplace as popular performers all across the United States, and we look to these new all-wheel-drive choices to continue that momentum," said George Murphy, Senior Vice-President, Global Brand Marketing.

By continuously driving all wheels, the new all-wheel-drive system provides excellent cornering balance and traction under all driving conditions. Combined with standard features such as Electronic Stability Program (ESP), All-speed Traction Control, four-wheel anti-lock brakes and Emergency Brake Assist, performance and stability are outstanding in the new AWD members of the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 lineup.

"While chassis electronics and tire technology improvements help control our Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum rear-wheel-drive models, some customers may still opt for the all-wheel-drive choice," said Murphy. "With this latest option, we are able to offer what the customer wants in each case."

The new all-wheel drive system adds a front differential and a transfer case to the standard rear-wheel-drive configuration. All-wheel drive continuously divides the power between the front and rear axles at a 38-percent to 62-percent ratio.

In addition to the front differential and transfer case, the all-wheel drive system adds a unique short- and long-arm front suspension to accommodate the front drive axle and related components. This unique suspension uses a forged upper control arm and single-piece case-iron lower control arm, efficiently packaged around the front-axle drive system. The steering gear effort and response and the suspension characteristics also are tuned to the handling characteristics of all-wheel-drive vehicles.

2005 AWD Dodge Magnum SXT Model

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the 2005 AWD Dodge Magnum SXT model is $27,900 (excluding $625 destination). This includes the added front differential, transfer case and all-wheel-drive front suspension, a five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick®, 18-inch wheels and touring tires, performance disk brakes and a 19-gallon fuel tank with the 3.5-liter V-6 High Output engine.

2005 AWD Dodge Magnum RT Model

The MSRP for the 2005 AWD Dodge Magnum RT model is $31,370 (excluding $625 destination). This includes the addition of the front differential, transfer case and all-wheel-drive front suspension. (The five-speed automatic transmission, 18-inch wheels and touring tires, performance disk brakes and 19-gallon fuel tank already are included as standard equipment on the Dodge Magnum RT.)

2005 AWD Chrysler 300 Touring Model

The MSRP for the 2005 AWD Chrysler 300 Touring model is $29,370 (excluding $625 destination). The added front differential, transfer case and all-wheel-drive front suspension, a five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick, 18-inch wheels and touring tires, performance disk brakes and a 19-gallon fuel tank are included with the 3.5-liter V-6 High Output engine on the AWD Chrysler 300 Touring model.

2005 Chrysler 300 Limited AWD Option

The 2005 Chrysler 300 Limited will be offered as an all-wheel-drive vehicle through an option package. In addition to the Limited model's standard equipment, this package will add the front differential, transfer case and all-wheel-drive front suspension, a five-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick, 18-inch wheels and touring tires, performance disk brakes and a 19-gallon fuel tank with the 3.5-liter V-6 High Output engine. The MSRP for 2005 Chrysler 300 Limited vehicles with the AWD option is $31,215 (excluding $625 destination).

2005 AWD Chrysler 300C Model

The MSRP for the 2005 AWD Chrysler 300C model is $34,195 (excluding $625 destination). This includes the addition of the front differential, transfer case and all-wheel-drive front suspension and 18-inch wheels. (The five-speed automatic transmission, touring tires, performance disk brakes and 19-gallon fuel tank already are included as standard equipment on the Chrysler 300C.)

The 2005 AWD Dodge Magnum and AWD Chrysler 300 will be built at the Brampton Assembly Plant in Brampton, Ontario.

Old 07-19-04, 04:49 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much like the PT Cruiser, they have found something that sells and they are going to expand like crazy on it.

Issues.

More models and options, less profit since their manufacturing isn't streamlined.

In a war with Toyota, which has a commercial out stating something along the lines of "Best MPG of any full line automaker"

Here they are pumping out high volume V8 beasts.

Great looking car, lots of power, it's a sales "fix" for them right now but they are really behind in the marketplace.

Quick Reply: New Chrysler 300 fuels trade-ins of import cars(new pics and info pg 3 & 4)