Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Taste of Luxury - Lexus Driving Event 7/10/2004 (56k bad, but worth it!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

btw guys, if you wanna see what i think about some of the cars i drove, here's the link to my review

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postid=955968
Old 07-11-04, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Richie
WOW, our lexus events are nothing compared to that one
haha well, richie, are you sure you still do NOT want to just move over to the US? :0
Old 07-11-04, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by genearch
Thanks for the write-up!

Wow, it appears people dress up a bit for this... sorry, not me! I'll be a bit outta place in my shorts, tennies, ball cap and t-shirt, but that's just me
dress up? nah..... people wore really casual for the day. probably coz' of the weather people put more clothes on that's all. trust me if it's a good hot sunny day, you see shorts verywhere
Old 07-11-04, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ST430
i was there also with my gf around 3-6pm and it was a awesome event. Most of my seat time was comprised of the luxury sport side: 545a, e500, gs430, is300, 330i, etc. Being a former autoXer and NASA track junky and present bike trackday junkie, i floored it like crazy. This course had some nice tight spots that really showed each vehicle's dynamics. Surprisingly, for me the is and 330 were the true champs here, with the 545a and gs430 wanting to drift out during the high speed left hand sweeper. Too bad the 545 i-drive sucked so bad (i couldn't figure out how to change the damn radio station) and the e500 understeering heavily.

on the luxury side of the course, i finally got a chance to drive the new TL, and man, I was thoroughly impressed with it. I didn't note any heavy understeering or torque steer although i was very heavy on the throttle spinning out the fronts during the wide high speed right hand sweeper. I also had a chance to play with the new LS, and in terms of vehicle dynamics, it was essentially the same as my year, except for a little more power aided by the new 6 speed. The brakes are phenomenal now (did they upgraded it), but it still shows its weight around the course. It was fun having the backend drift a little on the high speed sweepers.

All in all, it was a fun day, but i was a little disappointed they didnt have more cars from other manufacturers and how some people were SLOW (I caught up with the next person up front on several occassions, only to practically stop in the middle of the course so i can go full speed again). The guys there weren't that knowledgable and discouraged my "driving", but no on seemed to care when i was actually on course. It was a blast chasing an aggressive 545a driver in the little dinky is300 only to see his big amazed eyes in his rear view mirror as i was on his *** lol.
this is some awesome review man. were there still a lot of people during your time slot?

yeah, some people they drove like an idiot. that 30 to 40 seconds course (i don't know exactly how long it was) some stupid guys they actually took a minute to finish. they already had a guy at the starting point to make sure the car in front were far enough, but i think something like 3 or 4 occasions i literally caught up with the car in the front, braked, screamed my tires, and stopped there to watch for them to get away... so boring....

one of the guy who worked there actually indicated me to slow down. i was "busy" driving so i didn't even show him anything, but my wife beside me only went, "she's retarded? this course is for real driving only!"

gosh, i love my wife. i responded by immediately flooring the car

in another start in the 545i, i floored so bad in the beginning, the tires chirped so bad and loud even the guy in the starting point went "wow damn" before i exploded... when i came back, ritsa and i swapped drivers and she went for the second drive. when we got to the start point, the guy said, "dude, you sure you got enough tires for this run?"
Old 07-11-04, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
rominl, thanks for all the write-ups you are doing. We all appreciate the time/effort.

I am curious: Are you a writer/journalist by profession? How exactly do you get access to these events?

I ask because I'm majoring in journalism, and I wonder if this is something I'll be able to look forward to in the future...

you are welcome man, i like to write, given enough time. i am glad that you guys enjoy it too

well i used to be a professional writer of some kind, but it was actually my leisure work (majored in electrical engineering). for this event it's just special lexus invitation, and i was lucky enough to get some insiders contact to set something up. sometimes it's about luck

for the record, i do hope one day i can host the show top gear or fifth gear, hahaha
Old 07-11-04, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by lightwave76
Henry excellent write up, I brought my camera too but left it in my trunk to get later. Once I saw you there I knew I would not need to take pics. I saw your camera haha. As I was eating outside I wonder if the Norcal folks would ever want to throw an even there.

I'm going to try to get in contact with the city of Alameda, since Alameda point is now owned by the City and not by the Government anymore. There is just so much land on that old military base. How cool would that be to set up a driving course for the NorCal lexus meets?

Chris
yeah it was nice to see you there man, you should definitely talk to people at alameda point! if we can rent the whole place for a day and set up some course, it would be a nice place for some serious autox or track driving -- competition time man!
Old 07-12-04, 12:26 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
haha well, richie, are you sure you still do NOT want to just move over to the US? :0
If someone offered me a really good job I would move over!!
Old 07-12-04, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Richie
If someone offered me a really good job I would move over!!
come on, just talk to steve
Old 07-12-04, 01:38 PM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see you all have fun.

Altho I started the "Lexus test drive" thread, but I didn't get to go this year.

I'll wait for the next year....
Old 07-12-04, 08:05 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Old 07-12-04, 08:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RayGS3
Good to see you all have fun.

Altho I started the "Lexus test drive" thread, but I didn't get to go this year.

I'll wait for the next year....
oh boy you definitely should have gone man, it's fun
Old 07-13-04, 10:08 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've signed up for this and will definitely be attending it. looks great.

Nice write up.
Old 07-13-04, 10:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice write-up!
This gives me an idea what to expect when we go on the 25'th. I signed on for a 10 o'clock time slot...hope we aren't in the mob.
Old 07-13-04, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RA40
Nice write-up!
This gives me an idea what to expect when we go on the 25'th. I signed on for a 10 o'clock time slot...hope we aren't in the mob.
maybe you can try to go a bit earlier
Old 07-13-04, 11:42 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Very nice writeup as well as pictures Rom, I truely felt like I was there. Glad you and your wife enjoyed the event!

Quick Reply: Taste of Luxury - Lexus Driving Event 7/10/2004 (56k bad, but worth it!)