Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$14,000 daily driver suggetion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 09:49 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default $14,000 daily driver suggetion?

Alright, i need suggestions on which car to get. The car needs to be a sedan or coupe or hatchback, V6 would be nice but i can live with a 4 cylinder, import brands only (can't stand domestic brands) and automatic. That's all i can really think of, oh yea, it should be realtively new, 1998 or newer.

Thank-you for your time, i have about 2 weeks to make this decision.
Old 07-11-04, 10:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to find a 2000 (or maybe 01) Camry V6. That's a great car for daily driver. Fuel efficient, reliable, and pretty comfortable. Problem free also, as long as you find a Japanese-made one. US-made Camrys have alittle more problems.
Old 07-11-04, 10:16 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

hmmm, i didn' t know that some camrys were made in Japan and some in america. Are there specific year models when the cars were made where?

THanks for the suggestion btw, i might look at them, Any other suggestion?
Old 07-11-04, 10:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

If I were still a college student now, I'll get a slightly used Mazda Protege 5 hatchback. Practical & fun to drive little cars which should also be pretty reliable.

The new 04 Mazda 3 is even better, but the sedan starts at $14K, and my favorite, the Mazda 3 Sport hatchback is $17K . . .
Old 07-12-04, 01:31 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by thisguy_06
hmmm, i didn' t know that some camrys were made in Japan and some in america. Are there specific year models when the cars were made where?

I think the current-generation Camrys are all made in US. But up to 2001 some Camrys were made in Japan while most are made in US. My friend got a Japanese 2001 Camry and it's problem-free. My girlfriend's 99 US-made Camry has some small problems here and there.

I suggested Camry because it's Toyota, and since this is a daily driver it better be reliable If you want a coupe check out maybe a 2000 Accord Coupe V6. Those are roomy and reliable as well, not to mention good looking.

For new cars if you don't care about the small size the Scion xA is a nice choice also. About 14k otd I believe.
Old 07-12-04, 02:12 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scion gets my vote as an economical and cool daily driver. if you don't like the xA or the xB, the new tC is very sexy...and with a starting price of $16,465 for a manual, just can't beat that. you get the toyota build reliability too!

Scion tC pricing
Old 07-12-04, 02:16 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

also to add, i personally like the xB. i think it's new and different with a ton of room. definitely a great daily driver that can double as a hauler. i test drove one, it is very impressive taking into consideration of its price.

with the budget of $14k, you can certainly get a brand new xA. starting price $12,995. no hassel buying at all scion dealership. all pricing are the same across all dealerships.

http://www.scion.com/drive/pricing/d...a_pricing.html

and the xB starts at $14,195.

http://www.scion.com/drive/pricing/d...b_pricing.html

why get a used car when you can get a brand new and more reliable car for the same price?

Last edited by darden; 07-12-04 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 04:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by thisguy_06

Yes, there is a huge Toyota plant at Georgetown, KY....has been for years. And don't believe that stuff about U.S.-made Toyotas having more problems...that is a bunch of nonsense. But...if it makes you feel better , and you want a Japanese-made car, look for a "J " in the first digit of the VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number ). The VIN can usually be found stamped on a small metal plate at the base of the driver's side of the windshield, on the dash. Also, you can verify the plant of manufacture by looking at the production plate inside the driver's door jamb, and in some cases on the price sticker.

Other suggestions: If you can spend 14K or so like you say, and you just need a basic commuter car and don't need a drag racer or something with sports-car handling, you can buy brand-new and not have to take a chance on a used car and its risks. Look at a Corolla CE, Civic DX, Hyundai Elantra or Elantra GT,

( The Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are even cheaper but you probably wouldn't like them ) , the Mazda 3 in its base form, and the Ford Focus. The Mazda and Ford have good handling for the price and the Focus is finally reliable now after a rocky start.
Old 07-12-04, 09:47 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, there is a huge Toyota plant at Georgetown, KY....has been for years. And don't believe that stuff about U.S.-made Toyotas having more problems...that is a bunch of nonsense.
just coming from personal experience
Old 07-12-04, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
just coming from personal experience
Of course, it is possible to get a lemon from any auto plant in the world, but the general experience has been that the American plants operated by Japanese manufacturers turn out products just as well as in Japan. Now....for the European manufacturers, that is quite a different story....especially for the Mercedes plant at Tuscaloosa, AL that turns out the ML-series. That plant has been a disaster.
Old 07-12-04, 12:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
I think the current-generation Camrys are all made in US. But up to 2001 some Camrys were made in Japan while most are made in US. My friend got a Japanese 2001 Camry and it's problem-free. My girlfriend's 99 US-made Camry has some small problems here and there.

I suggested Camry because it's Toyota, and since this is a daily driver it better be reliable If you want a coupe check out maybe a 2000 Accord Coupe V6. Those are roomy and reliable as well, not to mention good looking.

For new cars if you don't care about the small size the Scion xA is a nice choice also. About 14k otd I believe.
I believe all the current models 5-spd manual are made in Japan. Also, the limited edition and some XLE/Nav models are made in Japan.
Old 07-12-04, 02:19 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If I was in your position I would get the best SC400 I could find for $14,000. This typically means a '94-'95.
An old SC still beats the hell out of any new car for $14 Grand. Of course, I have one and it's a great daily driver. There's also no question about its reliability. In my opinion this is the way to go.

What car are you coming from?
Old 07-12-04, 05:56 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scion TC. i think you can get that for 14k
Old 07-12-04, 06:49 PM
LexFather

Scion Tc without a doubt.

Old 07-12-04, 06:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Scion Tc without a doubt.
Yeah, I've forgotten about this one. Too new, I've yet to see it in person.

Quick Reply: $14,000 daily driver suggetion?