Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would you buy? CL-S or IS300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 03:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When shopping for my dad I was looking at used Acura's and the interiors after 30-40k just didn't leave me with a good feeling.
Old 07-14-04, 04:57 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Wow, I can't believe you are even considering a mish-mash pseudo-luxury American-built 'Japanese' FWD over a RWD Japanese-made car powered by a 2JZ...

Get the freakin' IS. This is a no-brainer.
Old 07-14-04, 05:14 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Xenthar
In my experience, the ladies think the is300 looks like an accord with altezza lights. The CL-S is a better choice expecially if you can find a 6 speed. Its faster and looks better imo
Is your local DMV aware of your poor eyesight and inability to judge geometric shapes? Making out street signs could be a problem...Cause, uh, stop signs might start looking kinda like yield signs with Altezza lights...
Old 07-14-04, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, to a lot of people who aren't car-saavy like we are here on CL, a lot of today's cars....especially sedans....DO look alike. Many cars today have those triangular up-sweep headlight covers that go back up the sides of the hood, wedge-shapes that put the trunk lids noticibly higher than the hood lines, and prettty much the same colors.....silver, white, burgundy, dark blue, black, and dark green.
If I didn't spend so much time following the car market , I would be confused myself.

Old 07-14-04, 08:35 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Definately go for the cl. Especially if you can find a 6 speed.
Before I purchase my CL type S I took a look at the IS300 and my wife/friends said hell no. Kiddy car No disrespect to any IS owners. Plus my wife already had a gs.
The only thing special about that car stock is the Lexus name. Yeh having rwd is advantage but the cl offer more raw power.
fyi: Watch out for the cl transmission but you do have a 100K warranty.
Also my interior still looks great and I have at least 130,000 on my cl.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-14-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-14-04, 08:41 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rogers
Definately go for the cl. Especially if you can find a 6 speed.
Before I purchase my CL type S I took a look at the IS300 and my wife/friends said hell no. Kiddy car No disrespect to any IS owners. Plus my wife already had a gs.
The only thing special about that car stock is the Lexus name. Yeh having rwd is advantage but the cl offer more raw power.
fyi: Watch out for the cl transmission but you do have a 100K warranty.
Also my interior still looks great and I have at least 130,000 on my cl.
Yeah the few I looked at the inside was blah! But oh well.
Old 07-15-04, 12:36 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
That is quite frankly the dumbest crap I've read on Clublexus so far in 2004. First off most ladies can't tell the difference between a H2 and a Beetle. On top of that, the IS has LEXUS going for it. So more than ANYTHING, the IS gets noticed for being a LEXUS. BTW, here is a usual conversation with women you've probably had:

"I got a new car'
"what"
An Infiniti G35
"oh, what is that"
"it's the new car from Infiniti:
"oh, what is inifiniti"
" a luxury car company"
"oh, like Lexus"
"(in lowered voice) yes like Lexus"

OR
3 cars IS 300 and Infiniti G35 and CL-S together
lady' wow, nice Lexus, what are the other 2 cars?"
"Infiniti G35c and Acura CL-S""
"Acura Legend?"
"No Acura CL-S"
"oh, Integra?"
"no, no CL-S"
"it's cute, where can I buy one"
"Oh they don't make it anymore"
moves on
"wow is that is beautiful, what is is"
"G35"
"(blank state) oh, what is that, a Lexus"
"No, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well it's nice"
"oh, a Lexus, I always wanted a Lexus"
"It's just an IS 300"
"oh but its so nice, My mother has a Lexus, she loves it"
"oh, the Q45 is nice too"
"(another blank stare) oh,what is that a new Lexus"
"No damnit, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well I want a Lexus, my brother has one, swears by it"
"G35 won car of the year"
"the lexus?"
"no damnit, the Infiniti"
and so on and so on and so on.
How about we meet up somewhere and then we ask random girls on the street which car looks better... You can defend lexus all you want, but based on looks, lexus wont win. Oh wow..its a lexus, but they are boring and bland. Im not the only one saying this. Car mags say it and i believe lexus isnt popular in europe because they say the cars are boring, bland, and have no performance. All they offer is luxury....oh wow. Just keep thinking in your imaginary world that all women like lexus. All the people in california know the difference between a cheap lexus and a nice infiniti. I have a g35, my friend has a turboed IS. Who gets all the compliments and girls....hmmm...lemme think....ME. I dont know where your getting the idea where all girls think about are brand names. Maybe the girls in georgia are clueless and dumb...or maybe just the girls you talk to. You make girls seem like they're ignorant or something. And this is what most conversations are like:

What car do you have?
An infiniti g35 coupe
Oh wow...isnt infiniti expensive?
Its not too expensive
Oh alright...your car looks really nice
Thank you
Can you take me for a drive?
Sure
(during the drive) oh wow...i really like your car

And yes..thats how most conversations go. When i first got the car and i showed it to my friends parents, they were shocked also that my parents got me an infiniti. Maybe its just you that thinks infiniti is unknown.

Last edited by Xenthar; 07-15-04 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 12:37 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
That is quite frankly the dumbest crap I've read on Clublexus so far in 2004. First off most ladies can't tell the difference between a H2 and a Beetle. On top of that, the IS has LEXUS going for it. So more than ANYTHING, the IS gets noticed for being a LEXUS. BTW, here is a usual conversation with women you've probably had:

"I got a new car'
"what"
An Infiniti G35
"oh, what is that"
"it's the new car from Infiniti:
"oh, what is inifiniti"
" a luxury car company"
"oh, like Lexus"
"(in lowered voice) yes like Lexus"

OR
3 cars IS 300 and Infiniti G35 and CL-S together
lady' wow, nice Lexus, what are the other 2 cars?"
"Infiniti G35c and Acura CL-S""
"Acura Legend?"
"No Acura CL-S"
"oh, Integra?"
"no, no CL-S"
"it's cute, where can I buy one"
"Oh they don't make it anymore"
moves on
"wow is that is beautiful, what is is"
"G35"
"(blank state) oh, what is that, a Lexus"
"No, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well it's nice"
"oh, a Lexus, I always wanted a Lexus"
"It's just an IS 300"
"oh but its so nice, My mother has a Lexus, she loves it"
"oh, the Q45 is nice too"
"(another blank stare) oh,what is that a new Lexus"
"No damnit, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well I want a Lexus, my brother has one, swears by it"
"G35 won car of the year"
"the lexus?"
"no damnit, the Infiniti"
and so on and so on and so on.
Oh and you forgot to mention girls saying " Oh a lexus...but the cheapest one...hmm..i thought a lexus would be nicer..i guess it isnt." oh and how about " oh wow a lexus...but isnt that for old people?" And since when was the g35 the car on topic. I believe we were talking about a CL-S and an IS. You always seems to need to bring other cars in the discussion. All i did was give my opinion on which car was better and you had to start some kind of argument. That just shows how mature you are. I see you on alot of forums were people argue with you because you always have something bad to say

Last edited by Xenthar; 07-15-04 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 12:43 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Is your local DMV aware of your poor eyesight and inability to judge geometric shapes? Making out street signs could be a problem...Cause, uh, stop signs might start looking kinda like yield signs with Altezza lights...
No i dont think my eyesight is bad. Your might be though...a subaru forester doesnt seem like something good to look at if you had clear vision....
Old 07-15-04, 01:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Xenthar,

You've been warned before about the tenor of your posts on ClubLexus. Stop insulting people or your access to our forum will be removed.
Old 07-15-04, 01:29 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Xenthar,

You've been warned before about the tenor of your posts on ClubLexus. Stop insulting people or your access to our forum will be removed.
Im sorry about that dave, but they are insulting me. Am i just supposed to take what they say when they are in fact insulting me
Old 07-15-04, 01:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Im sorry about that dave, but they are insulting me. Am i just supposed to take what they say when they are in fact insulting me
They aren't insulting you, they are expressing their opinion about a car manufacturer. You need to separate the two in your responses to posts from this point forward or you will no longer be welcome on ClubLexus.

Our forum rules (which you agreed to when you joined ClubLexus BTW) are very clear on this topic:

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/

Response to Comments
If you have a problem with another member's comments in a posted thread, do not respond with any further comments that will aggravate the situation. Reacting to a hostile post with more hostility puts you in jeopardy, and puts you at risk for action against your account even if it is another member’s fault. Members have two options of recourse:

Email the moderators of the forum in which the offensive comment is posted, directing them to the individual and thread in which the problem occurs. Use the "Notify a Moderator" button on the bottom of the offensive post to accomplish the same thing. Moderators will look into the issues and take the appropriate actions.
Resolve the problem between both of you via email or Private Message (PM).

Personal Attacks
While we encourage lively debates and discussions, we will not tolerate personal attacks of any kind. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning and have their offenses removed. One more offense and the offending member will be permanently suspended from ClubLexus. Any member that physically threatens another member on ClubLexus will result in an automatic suspension immediately.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-15-04 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 08:10 AM
rogers2
Racer

I agree with you Xenthar, Sick does have a problem with putting other people cars down sometimes.
But I think every car person does that, I guess that's just the way it is. Those little scenarios he gives is full of ****, most woman know how a Lexus is300 looked. No woman is going pick an is300 over a g35 coupe. "Unless the woman is blind"
I must say the people in the south do go crazy when they see rims on a nice car. FYI: Original from South Carolina.
Here in DC that **** don't fly as much. You might get some play but you got be rolling with the big boys.
Especially in Georgetown I sometimes think you have to own a bmw just to talk to those chicks.

Back on topic: If you can find a 6 speed cl Acura go for it. If you can’t find one get a gs300 or look for something else.
Is your preference performance or luxury?

Last edited by rogers2; 07-15-04 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-15-04, 09:03 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rogers
I agree with you Xenthar, Sick does have a problem with putting other people cars down sometimes.
But I think every car person does that, I guess that's just the way it is. Those little scenarios he gives is full of ****, most woman know how a Lexus is300 looked. No woman is going pick an is300 over a g35 coupe. "Unless the woman is blind"
I must say the people in the south do go crazy when they see rims on a nice car. FYI: Original from South Carolina.
Here in DC that **** don't fly as much. You might get some play but you got be rolling with the big boys.
Especially in Georgetown I sometimes think you have to own a bmw just to talk to those chicks.

Back on topic: If you can find a 6 speed cl Acura go for it. If you can’t find one get a gs300 or look for something else.
Is your preference performance or luxury?

Well 1SICK is right, go ask 5 women what car they would rather ride in, Lexus or Acrua....... That statement he made about women liking the G over IS doesn't make much sense............

I think the G is a great looking car BTW....
Old 07-15-04, 09:46 AM
rogers2
Racer

Probaly a old woman just kidding
Your statement on rather a women would want ride in a lexus or acura. In DC that **** don't pass the smell test. Buddy
Actually it really depends on what type of women you are asking and what type of lexus or acura you own. If we were discuss a Mb5 or 6 or maybe a 7 series i could understand but other than that get real.

Last edited by rogers2; 07-15-04 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: What would you buy? CL-S or IS300?