Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would you buy? CL-S or IS300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 09:56 PM
agreziv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you buy? CL-S or IS300?

I'm in the market for a nice used car (20k and under), and I'm stuck on this dilemna.... this would of been an easy choice, if the CL-S didn't blow transmissions, and go through brakes like crazy.... and reasons I don't like the IS is the interior and it's slow... I know with mods it can be crazy fast, but the most I'll do is I/H/E and Nitrous... what would you get?
Old 07-11-04, 10:00 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Can't beat RWD fun , or if u don't mind what drivetrain it is, then try to look for a very good deal on a CL-S with a 6-spd but HOnda/Acura is doin a huge Recall on the 5 spd automatic transmissions for the CL so u might be able to get a free inspection on the tranny and they might be able to fix it. But i'd personally get the IS, no wories about the tranny goin out and it's RWD, can't beat that in my book.
Old 07-11-04, 10:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you like to go through turns and have fun on handling, the is300 will blow the cl-s. if you like to drive like a mad man from the red hat, get the cl-s. and of course, watch out for tranny

at least they have a recall now -- finally
Old 07-11-04, 10:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

If you can drive a manual or don't mind learning & driving one, I would recommend CL-S MT. The Acura MT's don't have transmission problems. The IS300 is underpowered IMO.
Old 07-11-04, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SexySC
If you can drive a manual or don't mind learning & driving one, I would recommend CL-S MT. The Acura MT's don't have transmission problems. The IS300 is underpowered IMO.
yes, the cls/6 is a beast
Old 07-12-04, 01:24 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend and I test drove a CL-S(auto) and were not impress. I'd say get the IS300 because it's rear wheel drive and the ladies love the IS. Yes, the interior does look a bit cheap but Lexus does seem to have a better resale value than acura( except the nsx). I think the IS300 engine is a iron block, so it should handle nitrous better. IS300 all the way!!
Old 07-12-04, 01:49 AM
LexFather

The IS 300 gets my vote. The interior looks not as nice but is built way better. As stated the CL-S 6 is swift.
I've had an IS, driven a CL-S extensively and a CL-S 6. The CL-S is clearly faster than the IS but all that power to the front wheels just is not my bag. But it might be yours.
My best friend with his CL-S tells me he should have gotten the TL-S since it's the same car but can hold 4 people in comfort. The back seats in the CL-S are smaller than the IS 300. Also the IS is a Lexus, which means better dealer service, perks and panache.

Old 07-12-04, 03:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Lightbulb Used GS?

You say you have 20-25K to spend....don't like the IS....and are leery of Acura transmissions. In that case, check out a used GS400 or 430 in that price range. It might be just what you are looking for.
Old 07-12-04, 04:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry...I meant 20K, not 25K to spend. Still, there used GS'es with reasonable mileage available in this price range.
Old 07-12-04, 04:32 PM
agreziv
Driver School Candidate

i would take a gs4 any day over these two, but its hard for you to get one under 20k, and a gs3 is a no-no...
Old 07-14-04, 12:35 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally posted by joshthorsc
My friend and I test drove a CL-S(auto) and were not impress. I'd say get the IS300 because it's rear wheel drive and the ladies love the IS. Yes, the interior does look a bit cheap but Lexus does seem to have a better resale value than acura( except the nsx). I think the IS300 engine is a iron block, so it should handle nitrous better. IS300 all the way!!
In my experience, the ladies think the is300 looks like an accord with altezza lights. The CL-S is a better choice expecially if you can find a 6 speed. Its faster and looks better imo
Old 07-14-04, 12:46 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by Xenthar
In my experience, the ladies think the is300 looks like an accord with altezza lights. The CL-S is a better choice expecially if you can find a 6 speed. Its faster and looks better imo
That is quite frankly the dumbest crap I've read on Clublexus so far in 2004. First off most ladies can't tell the difference between a H2 and a Beetle. On top of that, the IS has LEXUS going for it. So more than ANYTHING, the IS gets noticed for being a LEXUS. BTW, here is a usual conversation with women you've probably had:

"I got a new car'
"what"
An Infiniti G35
"oh, what is that"
"it's the new car from Infiniti:
"oh, what is inifiniti"
" a luxury car company"
"oh, like Lexus"
"(in lowered voice) yes like Lexus"

OR
3 cars IS 300 and Infiniti G35 and CL-S together
lady' wow, nice Lexus, what are the other 2 cars?"
"Infiniti G35c and Acura CL-S""
"Acura Legend?"
"No Acura CL-S"
"oh, Integra?"
"no, no CL-S"
"it's cute, where can I buy one"
"Oh they don't make it anymore"
moves on
"wow is that is beautiful, what is is"
"G35"
"(blank state) oh, what is that, a Lexus"
"No, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well it's nice"
"oh, a Lexus, I always wanted a Lexus"
"It's just an IS 300"
"oh but its so nice, My mother has a Lexus, she loves it"
"oh, the Q45 is nice too"
"(another blank stare) oh,what is that a new Lexus"
"No damnit, it's an Infiniti"
"oh, well I want a Lexus, my brother has one, swears by it"
"G35 won car of the year"
"the lexus?"
"no damnit, the Infiniti"
and so on and so on and so on.

Old 07-14-04, 12:48 AM
LexFather

In my experience, the ladies think the is300 looks like an accord with altezza lights.
BTW
Attached Images  

Old 07-14-04, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

err.... that's kinda scientific... if that's the case, somehow i have a lot of gals not even knowing what a CL is at all, where they do know what an IS is
Old 07-14-04, 01:14 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by rominl
err.... that's kinda scientific... if that's the case, somehow i have a lot of gals not even knowing what a CL is at all, where they do know what an IS is
Yeah, the IS does look Civic ish/Accord ish in the front some and we would be foolish to say it does not, especially stock. Not the sides at all but the rear well...

BUY THE WHOLE CAR, NOT JUST THE TAILIGHTS!

Quick Reply: What would you buy? CL-S or IS300?