Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New S40 - opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 11:49 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
And how does this matter in terms of a Prius or S40 or LS430 flipping over? I think it's ridicuous that Volvo goes to such great lengths to correct and inherently dangerous and useless design.
It's not rediculous. The fact is, SUV's unfortunately sell like hot-cakes. Most of the people driving those XC90s and, indeed, all SUV's, are folks that don't know what they're doing behind the wheel. I don't think that's an idictment which deserves the death of those guilty, however. My point being, safety measures increasing the safety of drivers and occupants of unsafe vehicles isn't necessarily "rediculous".
Old 07-14-04, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by whipimpin
It's not rediculous. The fact is, SUV's unfortunately sell like hot-cakes. Most of the people driving those XC90s and, indeed, all SUV's, are folks that don't know what they're doing behind the wheel. I don't think that's an idictment which deserves the death of those guilty, however. My point being, safety measures increasing the safety of drivers and occupants of unsafe vehicles isn't necessarily "rediculous".
I agree, whipimpin. People SHOULD know what they are doing by the time they get their driver's license...like in Europe where the Driver's Ed is much stricter....but unfortunately, too many don't.
I've seen a LOT of SUV's flip (truck-based ones more so than car-based ones).....and some people lose their lives. A close friend of mine lost his best man after his wedding when he was UNBELTED in an Aztek and it rolled over on him after he went out the driver's window.
Old 07-15-04, 12:10 AM
rdollie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm...where are you people getting your Volvo pricing? It's off.

The S40 T5 prices just under $27k through a dealership and you can buy it for $24.2k under Volvo's Overseas Delivery program (and that price includes airfare for two, first night hotel, insurance, shipping, and no destination charge.) You can spend $1k on a chip to add a lot more power.

The AWD variants are expected relatively soon and combined with the 6-speed tranny and a chip this should make for a very compelling car for the money.

Last edited by rdollie; 07-15-04 at 12:12 AM.