Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda confirms replacement for NSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 09:41 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saying it's just a V6 with 300 Hp and overpriced is a great oversimplification. It's all aluminum, mid-engined and has timeless styling. I agree it's time for a new NSX, as the current model is aged, but the class it competes in is in the same price class except maybe the Corvette. And the Corvette, while a very nice car for Chevrolet, is not in the same class as the NSX,911 etc.

Is the Lexus supercar coming??? I've seen pictures but have heard nothing definite. When is it coming out? I'm ready to make my deposit!!!!
Old 07-17-04, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
Is the Lexus supercar coming??? I've seen pictures but have heard nothing definite. When is it coming out? I'm ready to make my deposit!!!!
Unfortunately, Lexus is always very secretive with their new models.
Old 07-17-04, 10:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Toyota/Lexus wants to see more success in F1 before they develop, announce, and sell high-performance cars again.

Which is why it's important for Toyota/Lexus performance enthusiasts to fully support their F1 program. The future direction of Toyota's road cars counts on it.

Old 07-17-04, 12:12 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Toyota/Lexus wants to see more success in F1 before they develop, announce, and sell high-performance cars again.

Which is why it's important for Toyota/Lexus performance enthusiasts to fully support their F1 program. The future direction of Toyota's road cars counts on it.

The way they are going now we shouldn't hold our breath, LOL.
Old 07-17-04, 10:30 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

1SickLex had said the Lexus supercar was coming. It's not coming then, or is, but just not confirmed when it will be here?? Hope it's out soon.

Saw where Toyota will have Ralf Schumacher driving for them next season. That seems like a good start. Talk on Prime is that Honda is waiting for some more success in open wheel racing before unveiling new NSX. With Indy 500 win and them being competitive in F1, it would seem that new NSX should be on its way. Honda seems to have gained an advantage in IRL series over Toyota, especially since they reduced the displacement to 3.0 liters. Toyota was dominant the last couple of years in that series.

I don't think they will disappoint with the new NSX. It's an image car. It will be fantastic just like the first one has been. Honda's prez basically asked Ferrari to step outside, so they better come across with a great car to compete/beat the 360.
Old 07-18-04, 08:00 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Toyota was dominant the last couple of years in that series.
That's because they cheated their way to the top. It was an embarassing time for fans.

I don't think they will disappoint with the new NSX. It's an image car. It will be fantastic just like the first one has been. Honda's prez basically asked Ferrari to step outside, so they better come across with a great car to compete/beat the 360.
I'm sure the next NSX will be a great car, but the small-displacement V8 and pure RWD of the 360 will be tough to beat. I'll take a small, high-strung V8 over a large V6 any day. I hope Honda stays away from the 3.5L. Now, it would be great if, say, they could use a petrol V6 that's about 2.8L or less powering the rear wheels and use hybrid power to supplement the front.

A Toyota super is likely coming, it's been rumored under development for a long while now. However, Toyota needs more world-class racing experience/wins under its belt before it can justify launching a supercar.

And who knows with Honda? We hear something different every other week. Yes, NSX, no NSX. Yes, hybrid power, no hybrid power. It's just a painfull waiting game at this point in time. Nothing is official.

One thing is for sure, the next NSX will never surpass the aura of the current NSX. It's damn perfect as it is.
Old 07-18-04, 12:17 PM
LexFather

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/To...s_360CS_hi.wmv

At the end of the video, they show the top times of every car they tested. The cars in the video both tied for 3rd. AHEAD the Lamboghini Murchilago and a slew of other supercars. I think the Enzo and Pagani Zonda are the only cars ahead the 360 CS and GT3 RS.

Old 07-18-04, 02:42 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/To...s_360CS_hi.wmv

At the end of the video, they show the top times of every car they tested. The cars in the video both tied for 3rd. AHEAD the Lamboghini Murchilago and a slew of other supercars. I think the Enzo and Pagani Zonda are the only cars ahead the 360 CS and GT3 RS.
Yeah that was an awesome vid, and those are truly awesome cars. Unfortunately, the next 360 will not be a 3xx at all, it will be a 430 and feature a 4.2L V8. So much for my love of small V8s.

Dear Lord, I lust for the Esprit with it's bi-turbo 3.5L V8...But its in its final production run...The next Esprit is rumored to have V8 Toyota power (keeping in line with the Toyota-powered Elise), but it will surely be above 4L.

*SIGH* Yet another great chapter in automotive history comes to a sickeningly sad close.
Old 07-18-04, 04:18 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

That's because they cheated their way to the top. It was an embarassing time for fans.

I'm sure the next NSX will be a great car, but the small-displacement V8 and pure RWD of the 360 will be tough to beat. I'll take a small, high-strung V8 over a large V6 any day. I hope Honda stays away from the 3.5L. Now, it would be great if, say, they could use a petrol V6 that's about 2.8L or less powering the rear wheels and use hybrid power to supplement the front.

A Toyota super is likely coming, it's been rumored under development for a long while now. However, Toyota needs more world-class racing experience/wins under its belt before it can justify launching a supercar.

And who knows with Honda? We hear something different every other week. Yes, NSX, no NSX. Yes, hybrid power, no hybrid power. It's just a painfull waiting game at this point in time. Nothing is official.

One thing is for sure, the next NSX will never surpass the aura of the current NSX. It's damn perfect as it is.
Agreed 100%. They need to do a 3.5 L V6 and have it in the 50-$60K range and forget about competing with Ferrari. Or, go ***** to the wall and have a small V8, or there are rumors of a V10, and go after the 360 or 4** that Ferrari has and price it accordingly. Whatever they do, I wish they would do something!!! And do it soon!!! I can understand the secrecy behind the next Accord, or Camry or something like that. Because once it's announced, the current model won't sell well and that could cost them 10s or 100s of thousands of cars being sold. But the NSX sold 175 here for 2004 model and they are all gone. So, announce what the new car will be, skip 2005 model year and have all the 2006 models pre-sold with other drooling enthusiasts waiting in line!! They are missing a great opportunity, because like you said, Toyota/Lexus will probably have something out soon and it will be amazing to be sure. They should try to strike first. Toyota and Lexus always let a few teasers out about new products. They do a great job with keeping people interested. Many folks on NSX prime are getting tired of the waiting game that has gone on for about 4 years. They are looking elswhere, and if Toyota/Lexus comes out first with supercar, you will see a mass defection I think.
Old 07-18-04, 04:28 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

It's just a painfull waiting game at this point in time.

We don't always see eye-to-eye, you and I, but on these two points I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 07-18-04, 07:24 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally posted by Iceman
We don't always see eye-to-eye, you and I, but on these two points I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 07-19-04, 02:02 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Many folks on NSX prime are getting tired of the waiting game that has gone on for about 4 years. They are looking elswhere, and if Toyota/Lexus comes out first with supercar, you will see a mass defection I think.
I agree, many are looking elswhere, but it appeats Porsche seems to be getting a lot of the current or ex NSX owners. For me, I'm selling my NSX later this year but I don't really want to. It is one of those things where I can't afford a brand new NSX so I'm thinking I need to start saving for the new NSX now, or maybe just buy an 02+ if the new NSX is a no go or disappointment. I personally wouldn't go to Porsche, but maybe the Toyota. However I'm not sure I really like the concept Toyota Super Car that they displayed a while ago.