Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda confirms replacement for NSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 01:14 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Honda confrims replacement for NSX

I'm glad they are not killing off this awesome machine

(01:54:19 July 14, 2004)
Honda confirms it: Acura NSX sports car will be replaced

By YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News

TOKYO - The 13-year-old Acura NSX sports car will be replaced soon by a car much like the HSC concept coupe shown at the Tokyo Motor Show, Honda President Takeo Fukui disclosed last week.

"I want to bring it out soon," Fukui said in an interview for the annual Automotive News Talk from the Top series. "Everybody is waiting for it. It won't be in a year, though."

Fukui called the two-seat HSC concept "a realistic proposal" and said the production NSX would not change much from the show car. The HSC concept, which had a 300-hp V-6 under the hood, is shorter, wider and lower than the current NSX.

"I like the overall proportion of it," Fukui said. "Its compactness is attractive."

The NSX, which has a small but passionate following among performance enthusiasts, has not been fully remodeled since it debuted in 1990. Reflecting its age, worldwide sales last year totaled only 364, with the U.S. market accounting for 233.

The car's worldwide sales peaked at more than 4,500 in 1991.

"This is not a volume car, so it has be aimed at the global market," Fukui said.

The replacement for the nearly $90,000 vehicle is part of Honda's move to shore up the Acura brand. The automaker also will update the Acura RL, due out next fall, by dropping front-wheel drive.

On another topic, Fukui said Honda may increase imports of U.S.-built vehicles into Japan if the yen gets much stronger. The dollar has fallen to about ¥108 from around ¥120 since August, yielding less yen profit for Japanese companies for every dollar of sale.

"We have to think of different ways" to adjust, he said.

Honda imports the U.S.-made Element and the Canada-built MDX and Odyssey minivan, which is sold in Japan as the LaGreat. Through September, the automaker has imported 16,689 cars and trucks into Japan, up 132 percent over the same period in 2002.

Old 07-14-04, 01:33 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

looks cool, that's one expensive honda
Old 07-14-04, 01:37 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I've seen this before, especially some of his quotes. This appears to be a bizzare news rehash by someone...

Old 07-14-04, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I think I've seen this before, especially some of his quotes. This appears to be a bizzare news rehash by someone...

The problem is that Honda marketing can't seem to make up its mind whether they are going to build this car or not. Every day we keep hearing something different. :
Old 07-14-04, 01:49 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

good for acura

IMO, the update is very much needed. looks good enough to eat now.
Old 07-14-04, 02:02 PM
LexFather

Well they will still have an image problem as it will be sold Honda overseas and Acura here. Expensive Japanese cars have it ROUGH in Europe, Lexus included.

Not to mention, the new 911 is killer right now. It went back to the styling like the 993 which most ALL Porsche owners requested. They also fixed the interior.
Stock 3.6 makes 325hp
The 3.8 4Ws makes 380hp.
The turbo will be a 500hp car.

The NSX, no matter how great the handling, needs more power to be taken more seriously.
The under 100k Aston Martin V-8 is coming soon.
Hell, the Lexus supercar is coming.

Funny how all markets are damn near saturated. Even Benz, with the:
SLR
baby SLR is coming
SL55
SL 65
BMW has the M6 coming
Maserati is back with the V-8 from the 360 Modena making 390hp.
Jaguars new XK is coming soon.
Lotus with the Elise, for 40k, you have maybe the best handling car in the world.
The new Esperit is coming, possibly using the Lexus V-8.

I don't even want to mention all the sedans that are as fast as super cars now.

The current NSX-R did win sports car of the year in EVO 2 years ago and was chosen as one of the top 10 cars made the past 10 years.

I think they sold 17 NSXs in England last year. . With ALL that positive press.

Oh yeah, maybe BRING the NSX-R to the USA. It's currently only sold in Japan and finally England.

The new NSX was to bring HYBRID tech to supercars. It would have been the 1st and been a GREAT selling point. But they dropped that.
Taking BMWs Arrogance, Honda executives insist the new HSC will kill the 360 Modena with it's stock V-6.

Old 07-14-04, 03:20 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Like Sick said, they will have a hard time with the replacement but it sure looks great to me!!!
Old 07-14-04, 03:26 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

The rear of that car reminds me of those arcade games where the beaver pops up and you have to smash it with a hammer. What else could be hiding in those dorky tail lights?

Again, Mike is on top of things, as usual, and I complete agree with his assesment.
Old 07-14-04, 03:29 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by llmidnitellsc40
looks cool, that's one expensive honda
The cab reminds me of the RX-8 (probably on account of the forward-swept c pillar).

Last edited by whipimpin; 07-14-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 04:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NSX

I think it looks great...they just need to make up their mind about building the thing. Sort a looks like a 360 to me. It mananges to look different than any other car but has cues of a few. I agree that if they make it, why not give it more than 300 ponies. Heck, 300 is almost entry level for new cars now. It's enough for me but not for most people who want exotics.
Old 07-14-04, 05:55 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love it. Its tight!! You can barely see the door seams.
Old 07-14-04, 10:05 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PHML
Love it. Its tight!! You can barely see the door seams.
imagine u get into an accident. it would have to be fixed perfect. not diggin the tail-lights much either.
Old 07-14-04, 10:21 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Default Re: NSX

Originally posted by reggiek
I think it looks great...they just need to make up their mind about building the thing. Sort a looks like a 360 to me. It mananges to look different than any other car but has cues of a few. I agree that if they make it, why not give it more than 300 ponies. Heck, 300 is almost entry level for new cars now. It's enough for me but not for most people who want exotics.
I agree!! Looks like a 360 modena, but I think the NSX is way overpriced for a V6, 300hp engine.
Old 07-15-04, 10:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There has never been any report that said it will have a 300HP V6. At best they said it will have "At least" 300HP. How much more than 300HP is anyone's guess, but conservative guesses on NSX Prime taking into account current V6 Honda motors is at least a 3.5V6 with at least 350HP. Okay, that still may not be enough, but some of the other rumors where a V6 Turbo along with a N/A V10 option, but the latest have been a V8 after the press release from Honda hinting at a possible V8 Luxury Sedan slated above the new RL.

All this are still rumors as nobody really knows what Honda has planned, but we can almost be 99.9% sure that it wil NOT be a 300HP motor. The reasony why I say this is because the current NSX is already at 290, however, it has long been rumored that the JDM NSX-R (Although it is speced at 290HP) really has closer to 310-315HP given its real world performance numbers. Even if it is lighter and has different gearing and suspension, it does 12.8 second 1/4 mile times quite easily and has done as low as 12.4. thus most owners believe it probably has more than the 290 claimed HP. Truth be told, the NSX if it does come out will more than likely be a very good performance competitor to the new 360 Modena, and if they can't achieve that they probably will not make another NSX at all.

Just to give some insight at possible engines Honda could use in the new HSC/NSX I'll give you some of the possible engines they were using in the prototype NSX back in 1988-89. They had real working NSX prototypes with V6 Twin Turbos, V8s, and V10s, and also non VTEC V6s. They ultimately choose a VTEC V6 for whatever reason. I have no doubt that they have many working engine prototypes for the new HSC as well. It just happeneds they had the current C Block V6 in the HSC so that is what was reported. We all know the C Block is dead and whatever new engine will either be based on the J Block engine or a new engine all together.
Old 07-16-04, 05:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Question I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, guys....let's see if it sticks this time. The NSX replacement has been up and down like a yo-yo.
Right now I wouldn't bet money on it.

Quick Reply: Honda confirms replacement for NSX