Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti QX4...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 08:43 AM
99GS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infiniti QX4...opinions?

I am faced with the dilemna of replacing my GS with something bigger. My wife and I just had our 2nd son last month, and the GS is VERY cramped with 2 car seats.

My research shows that the only vehicles with enough front leg room for 2 adults over 6 foot (my wife is 6 foot, and I am 6 foot 3) and enought rear seat room for 2 car seats is an SUV. We currently have the GS, and a 98 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. We are all comfortable in the Montero, so we are looking at another mid size SUV.

I found what appears to be a great deal on a 2003 Infiniti QX4 2wd. Loaded out, silver on black with chrome factory wheels, and 12K miles on it for around $27K I plan on driving it today at lunch, but I thought I would get some opinioins from the car buffs here at Club Lexus.

I hate to replace the GS, but unfortunately the family comes first. I'd consider a Lexus SUV, but the RX is too small (and FWD), and the GX/LX are out of my price range (30 - 35K)

Thanks,

David
Old 07-16-04, 10:59 AM
LexFather

QX4 is not a bad truck, just not a great truck. One of the reasons it is no longer made when the next Gen Pathfinder debuts later this year and simply slapped by the automotive press.
And in sitting in the rear, it seemed quite smaller than most of the new competiton in all honesty.
What it has going for it is looks, IMO, the QX4 is a nice looking SUV.

They do make AWD RX 300s. And you can get GREAT deals on any Infiniti, used FX 35s and 45s are in lots in the low 30s already. Cargo room is small though.

For a 2003 QX4 that they no longer maker, I'd LOW BALL them. No one is looking to buy this SUV. I'd ask for 3 k more off the sticker price, no joke. They WILL deal.

Maybe MMarshall can chime in.

Old 07-16-04, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
QX4 is not a bad truck, just not a great truck. One of the reasons it is no longer made when the next Gen Pathfinder debuts later this year and simply slapped by the automotive press.
And in sitting in the rear, it seemed quite smaller than most of the new competiton in all honesty.
What it has going for it is looks, IMO, the QX4 is a nice looking SUV.

They do make AWD RX 300s. And you can get GREAT deals on any Infiniti, used FX 35s and 45s are in lots in the low 30s already. Cargo room is small though.

For a 2003 QX4 that they no longer maker, I'd LOW BALL them. No one is looking to buy this SUV. I'd ask for 3 k more off the sticker price, no joke. They WILL deal.

Maybe MMarshall can chime in.
Yes, I sure can. With two small children now, you will no doubt be safety-conscious. That, in my opinion, rules out the Montero...too high, boxy, and tipsy in the corners. In fact, Consumer Reports flunked the last big Montero it tested for excessive body lean...it went up on two wheels. The QX4, like 1SICK says, is an OK but not great truck....and it doesn't have a whole lot of room in back by SUV standards. It is mostly just an upscale SUV that has a nice wood-and-leather plush interior , with some but not all of Montero's tipsiness. If you want an Infiniti with plenty of room you might take a look at the larger QX56 built on the Titan frame...it will have much more room than the QX4. Or....better yet.....since you apparantly want All-Wheel-Drive SUV capability, the Chrysler 300C will soon offer it. That is a car with a BIG rear seat and the latest state-of-the-art child-seat Tether systems. The 300C, in spite of its high beltline, is lower and more stable than a typical SUV.
You also have many more options than this.....I don't have room to go into them all in just one post.
Old 07-16-04, 01:53 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The RX has decent room...i'm 6'4" and fit no problem...with someone in the seat behind me as well. Good car...zero problems.

I would also look at the Acura MDX and Infiniti FX35...all these car don't have a ton of cargo space, but neither does the discontinued QX4...
Old 07-16-04, 02:20 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

QX4 was beautiful....but sold already

The RX in AWD is very hard to find CPO here in Dallas, and I'm not a fan of FWD cars or SUV's. The CPO RX330's I have found are still close to $40k, which is more than I am looking to spend.

I like the styling of the FX, but I'm not sure it will have the rear seat room needed for the car seats. I'll research it.

I really like the idea of the Chrysler 300. The C version with the Hemi would be nice, but I know the dealers are charging list + on them if they have them. The 250hp V6 is getting bashed pretty good, but I can't imagine that the car feels much slower than my GS, as the 300 weighs 100 pounds more, but has 30 more HP and torque.

decisions decisions...

Thanks for the input

David
Old 07-16-04, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Dodge Magnum Wagon maybe? That is another solid new entry.
You can get a KILLER deal on any IS 300 Sportcross.

Old 07-16-04, 02:41 PM
99GS300
Pole Position

Dodge Magnum Wagon maybe? That is another solid new entry.
You can get a KILLER deal on any IS 300 Sportcross.
I love the new Magnum, especially with the Hemi, but my wife said on the styling.

I believe the exact quote was..."you want me to drive a station wagon?"
so that kills the Sportcross idea as well

The 300C might be an option, if I can find one in stock

thanks again for the ideas!
Old 07-16-04, 03:01 PM
LexFather

CPO LS 400 if you get a sedan. Get the 98+ version. Big inside and big trunk. You get to stay in the family.

Old 07-17-04, 06:00 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

well u already said it was sold.. but my sister owns a 03' qx4 its pretty damn nice i think... its fast too
Old 07-17-04, 08:40 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, I sure can. With two small children now, you will no doubt be safety-conscious. That, in my opinion, rules out the Montero...too high, boxy, and tipsy in the corners. In fact, Consumer Reports flunked the last big Montero it tested for excessive body lean...it went up on two wheels. The QX4, like 1SICK says, is an OK but not great truck....and it doesn't have a whole lot of room in back by SUV standards. It is mostly just an upscale SUV that has a nice wood-and-leather plush interior , with some but not all of Montero's tipsiness. If you want an Infiniti with plenty of room you might take a look at the larger QX56 built on the Titan frame...it will have much more room than the QX4. Or....better yet.....since you apparantly want All-Wheel-Drive SUV capability, the Chrysler 300C will soon offer it. That is a car with a BIG rear seat and the latest state-of-the-art child-seat Tether systems. The 300C, in spite of its high beltline, is lower and more stable than a typical SUV.
You also have many more options than this.....I don't have room to go into them all in just one post.
Yeah MMarshall - the Montero is pretty terrible but GS said he's got a 98 Montero Sport - which is even worse in a frontal offset crash situation.

Crash test results: http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99011.htm

Here are the IIHS's crash-test results for the QX4. While not a total deathtrap like say a Ford F-150/Expedition - I still think this is one truck that you would probably do well to steer clear of considering the importance, and necessary priority, of your family's safety.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97002.htm

Hope that helps.

Last edited by whipimpin; 07-17-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 08:51 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

CPO LS 400 if you get a sedan. Get the 98+ version. Big inside and big trunk. You get to stay in the family.
Yep - that's the car ... the 2000 LS 400 totally owned the 2001 LS 430.

What a perfect vehicle.
Old 07-18-04, 08:03 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about the new 4Runner. Great truck, and you can buy a really nice one for $27K or so. So it seems it would be in your price range. Maybe a used LX if you can find a deal?
Old 07-18-04, 09:46 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Default Re: Infiniti QX4...opinions?

The QX4 if thats the Pathfinder version on Infiniti, its not big enough for a person over 6 feet tall. The sunroof cuts out alot of headroof. My boss is 6'4 and he has to duck his head to get into my 03 Pathfinder I had. It wasn't confortable for him. Also the leg room in the back isn't that great. I suggest look at something bigger.

Originally posted by 99GS300
I am faced with the dilemna of replacing my GS with something bigger. My wife and I just had our 2nd son last month, and the GS is VERY cramped with 2 car seats.

My research shows that the only vehicles with enough front leg room for 2 adults over 6 foot (my wife is 6 foot, and I am 6 foot 3) and enought rear seat room for 2 car seats is an SUV. We currently have the GS, and a 98 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. We are all comfortable in the Montero, so we are looking at another mid size SUV.

I found what appears to be a great deal on a 2003 Infiniti QX4 2wd. Loaded out, silver on black with chrome factory wheels, and 12K miles on it for around $27K I plan on driving it today at lunch, but I thought I would get some opinioins from the car buffs here at Club Lexus.

I hate to replace the GS, but unfortunately the family comes first. I'd consider a Lexus SUV, but the RX is too small (and FWD), and the GX/LX are out of my price range (30 - 35K)

Thanks,

David
Old 07-19-04, 04:52 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Well, if you're still on the hunt for a QX-4, my brother in law has one. 98 with about 150k and transmission was shot. Costed about $1200 and is back on the road again. It's ok, but still underpowered and a gas pig for its small size~ 15mpg city. Good luck