Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Discontinue Production Of The Celica And MR2 Sports Cars By The End Of 2005

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 02:10 PM
LexFather

Default Toyota To Discontinue Production Of The Celica And MR2 Sports Cars By The End Of 2005

07/16/2004 Torrance, CA

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced its plans to discontinue sales of the Celica and MR2 sports cars by the end of the 2005 model year.

"The Celica and MR2 have been a favorite amongst sports car enthusiasts since their introductions in the U.S.," said Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager of the Toyota Division. "The past few years, however, have been very challenging for both Celica and MR2 as competition in a segment where 'what's new' dominates and we continue to add more exciting and youthful products to the lineup such as the Matrix and Corolla XRS, Solara sports coupe and recently the Scion xA, xB and tC."

Currently in its seventh generation, the Celica was first introduced in the U.S. in 1971 and was influential in establishing the sporty subcompact segment. Since that time it has been named Motor Trend's "Import Car of the Year," one of Car and Driver's "Ten Best Cars," and the "Most Reliable Sporty Car" by Consumer Reports.

Based on the EX-1 "Car of the Future" concept vehicle, its styling was revolutionary when it first hit the market. The Celica was originally designed for consumers who were young at heart and wanted something more than just simple transportation.

Toyota introduced the popular mid-engine, rear-wheel drive two-seater "Mr. Two" in 1985. The MR2 was on the market for ten years when production went on hiatus until 2000 when the third generation was introduced. The MR2 was developed to offer consumers exotic car design and excitement without the exotic car price. Originally powered by Toyota's "sweet sixteen" 16-valve dual-overhead cam 1.6-liter engine, a supercharged version was added in 1988. A turbocharged version went on sale in 1991 prompting Car and Driver magazine to proclaim the MR2 Turbo as an exotic car for the rest of us."

The current MR2 Spyder is the first U.S.-market Toyota to offer a true clutchless, six-speed sequential manual transmission. The MR2 has not only proven its mettle as a "budget exotic" sports car, but succeeded in attracting performance-oriented buyers to the Toyota brand.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...ml?id=20040716

Old 07-16-04, 02:14 PM
LexFather

Let see
1. Price too high
2. Styling too weird
I don't think we need to add anything else as to why they did not sell. They were good cars but you have to really hit the nail on the head in the very finicky coupe market.

Old 07-16-04, 02:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

true, the old celica and mr2, imho so much nicer
Old 07-16-04, 03:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Sad to learn that the Celica will pass on like this. The Celica is/was one of thier anchor cars they let slide away. With all the new flavors that overlap...it is no wonder. I think they have dilluted themselves trying to grab these niche segments. Bring back a RWD Celica with a 2.0L twin cam 4V motor or V-6 option...along with the Supra and the sporty coupe segment is covered in the Toyota line. Lexus can have a Supra variant with a hipo V-8 or V-10. IMO.
Old 07-16-04, 04:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just make sure they don't say they are going to use the matrix to replace those two cars...
Old 07-16-04, 04:38 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the MR-S has a better engine, like at least the 180hp 2ZZ-GE, it will do so much better. It's barely better than Miata now, and a whole lotta difference compared to S2k.
Old 07-16-04, 06:05 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully they bring back the supra since they will have a few slots empty at the factory
Old 07-16-04, 06:55 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

**********************************...Great. Another RWD down the tubes. The world is going to full-speed to hell, and Toyota is at the throttle. I think it's awesome when a company kills not one, but two, legendary nameplates which are sononomyous with the brand itself IN THE SAME YEAR!!!

They have some serious pennance to do. Granted, Toyota didn't become the world's richest and greatest by making cars that don't sell, but you get where I'm coming from. Toyota will now have ZERO sporty cars in their line-up. None. Nada. Zip.

This is hellacious. Toyota has become a borefest. Their F1 program is embarassing. It really burns me up to see I company I love so dearly falling from grace by the day.

Remember, there used to be a time when you could buy RWD Celicas, Corollas, MR2 turbo coupes, and even a mid-size RWD sedan (Cressida) or various All-Trac models from the Toyota store. Why? Why us? Why now? Why are they forsaking us? WHY? They're not even giving us an inch, not a glimer of hope!

It's so tough to be a fan. It's like they're not even trying anymore...Participation in NASCAR seems like the next big thing.

I can see the next generation of cars taking Toyota to a new low. No doubt they will be more successful than ever, but they're going to be shooting the enthusiasts through the heart in the process.

Old 07-16-04, 07:13 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I'm starting to dislike the way toyoyta is thinking. The tc from what I've heard has no sporty handling what so ever. The corolla, solara, and the matrix does not look sporty to me. I prefer the older toyotas when there were true sport cars like the supra turbo, mr2 turbo, celica all-trac and of coarse the sc300/400.
Old 07-16-04, 08:52 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Remember, there used to be a time when you could buy RWD Celicas, Corollas, MR2 turbo coupes, and even a mid-size RWD sedan (Cressida) or various All-Trac models from the Toyota store. Why? Why us? Why now? Why are they forsaking us? WHY? They're not even giving us an inch, not a glimer of hope!
i was a HUGE fan of the Cressida, even to this day.

WHY is FWD taking over Toyota? Leave FWD to VW and Ford/GM/DaimlerChrysler!
Old 07-17-04, 12:35 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I like both the MR2 and Celica and if they made them big enough so I could fit in them comfortably I would have been driving one now.
Old 07-17-04, 02:59 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of dropping them, Toyota needs to replace them in a dramatic way with leading sports cars. I never liked the current MR2, it looks ridiculous. The Celica isn't to bad, but tries to hard to be stylish and different. The Celica slot needs to be there and perhaps it's time for a fresh name (replacing "Celica").
I think a lot of guys think the car has become a chick car and are afraid to buy it. A new car with a new name may change this. I don't think the MR2 spot needs to remain but should be replaced with a real sports car. This means bringing the Supra back! This name must remain. They need to create a stunning sports car that actually eclipses the last Supra (difficult, I know). Make it as good as the Corvette and no more expensive and it will sell. Toyota needs to realize that they need some "image" cars and they really don't have any. How come the rishest car company in the world can't build some exciting cars even if there low volume? It's very boring to sell only high volume vehicles. Chrysler is finacially tight but the Viper remains, as well as other exciting models.
Old 07-17-04, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Richie
I like both the MR2 and Celica and if they made them big enough so I could fit in them comfortably I would have been driving one now.
hahhahaa...... you can probably fit yourself in, but after that you can forget about getting out of the car
Old 07-17-04, 04:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyota needs to replace the Avalon with the Chaser or the Mark II.
Old 07-17-04, 05:08 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Toyota needs to replace the Avalon with the Chaser or the Mark II.

x165451468731320607013121475

At the very least they could slot it between the Camry and the Avalon and give it a base price of $24K. Not like they would have to do a whole lot of development. Toyota is freakin' sitting on an *** of great RWD cars in Japan and they refuse to bring them over.

If they don't sell, so what? The money Toyota would spend on factory tech training, advertisement, and government certification would be a tiny little write-off for them.

We need to face facts. They hate us.

Quick Reply: Toyota To Discontinue Production Of The Celica And MR2 Sports Cars By The End Of 2005