Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

04' Sienna

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 12:04 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 04' Sienna

Originally posted by Bri
Wow!!!!!! How did you make your father in law to like you that much dude?? Give us some tips!!! Lol!!! Damn.. What's their business?!?! Hahaha!

I can't wait to see that.. My uncle has a Sienna too but just the LE

I've heard also that the Sienna has the exact same engine, transmission and ECU of the current RX330 so it's practically lexus at heart. Lol! Not to mention extremely smooth and quiet while cruising.
I know that the Highlander and Camry uses the rx330 engine!
Old 07-19-04, 04:58 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Re: Re: 04' Sienna

Originally posted by T.L.W.
like what ?
3rd row seats . Just me silly
Old 07-22-04, 08:14 PM
LexFather

I thought ya'll wound enjoy this.
Nissan struggling with Quest minivan's slow sales, quality issues

By KATHY JACKSON | Automotive News

LOS ANGELES -- Nissan North America Inc. is recalling its slow-selling redesigned Quest minivan to address several quality problems.

Nissan began issuing recall letters this month to thousands of 2004 Quest owners, informing them that dealerships will fix the defects free of charge.

The repairs include:

>>> Fixing a noisy sliding door.

>>> Replacing the driver's power window switch, which has a high failure rate.

>>> Repairing faulty interior reading lights.

>>> Replacing second-row seat levers that are prone to failure.

Those quality problems aren't helping Nissan get Quest sales off the ground. A year after its launch, Nissan is still struggling with the redesigned minivan.

First-half sales totaled 25,791 through June, well below the company's goal of 80,000 to 85,000 units for all of 2004.

June sales were 4,640, up from 4,501 in May. But after chipping away at quality problems and taking steps to change the sales mix, Nissan had hoped for a bigger increase in the monthly sales by now.

Nissan appears to be having trouble positioning the minivan in the market. The company plans to offer a lower-priced version for the 2005 model year - a change in strategy, because company executives had said that a prime reason for the slow start was a lack of high-end models.

Sticker prices for the 2004 Quest start at $25,130. High-end models have a sticker price of $33,530. Prices include a destination charge of $540.

Company executives this year admitted that they miscalculated demand for the top-of-the-line SE model. They said that sales of the lower-priced S version were below expectations; sales of the mid-grade SL were on target; and sales of the SE were not as strong as they could have been because demand was underestimated.

Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore says the recall is mainly a response to the Quest's poor showing in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. The April survey rated the Quest last among minivans in consumer perceptions of quality during the first 100 days of ownership.

The survey placed Nissan's Titan full-sized pickup and Armada full-sized SUV last in their segments. All three vehicles are built at Nissan's new plant in Canton, Miss.

"We are not happy with the (Power) scores," Bazemore says. "If a part has a high failure rate, we're doing whatever we can to fix it. We realize the importance of customer satisfaction."

About 3,500 units - all of the low-line S models - have the power window problem.

Bazemore says the reading lights will be modified on about 7,500 S and SL models. He did not have figures for other problems.

The company also has asked dealers to make the fixes on vehicles in inventory, Bazemore says.

In April, Nissan issued a recall on the SL and SE Quest models to check power sliding doors that might not latch properly and open unexpectedly.

Ray Vrscak, a partner at Michael Jordan Nissan, Durham, N.C., says the 2005 model line will include a lower-priced Quest. Vrscak, who is chairman of the Nissan Dealer Council, says the company plans to come out with a value package to produce more vehicles in the $26,000 to $27,000 range.

"The dealers are happy about that because that's where Chrysler and Honda are," Vrscak says.

Regarding quality problems, Vrscak says: "Most customers are understanding, but this is definitely straining their view of the Nissan brand. Hopefully we're getting that behind us

Old 08-23-04, 03:45 PM
LexFather

Default Nissan design chief says Quest minivan styling went too far

Nissan design chief says Quest minivan styling went too far
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 8/23/04

MONTEREY, Calif. -- Nissan Motor Co. was too far on the cutting edge with the design of its Quest minivan, the automaker's top stylist admits.
With its swoopy lines, broad shoulders and quirky interior touches, the Quest introduced a year ago took a radical departure from typical boxy minivan style. Minivan buyers appear to want something more conventional. The Quest has not met sales expectations since its launch last summer.

"We need to open the design window a little wider," says Shiro Nakamura, Nissan design director. "Maybe we targeted too narrow. It's a correct basic design, but we need to make some execution changes."

When Nissan introduced the redesigned Quest in August 2003, executives predicted sales of 80,000 to 85,000 annually. Sales through July totaled 30,448. The previous-generation Quest peaked at 54,050 units in 1995.

The fact that the minivan is falling short of its sales goals in the first year of a five-year cycle does not bode well for the automaker. The redesigned Honda Odyssey that arrives this fall could make things even worse.

"The Quest needs to have a little more finesse and more quality feel," Nakamura says. "It has a modern look, but modern can also be seen as too cool. The Quest needs to have more warmth."

Among the Quest's controversial features are centrally mounted instrument gauges and a pod-like center stack of audio and climate controls. Nakamura said his designers are still deciding whether the next-generation version will have such styling features.

This year, Nissan executives attributed the sales shortfall to a poorly planned launch and failure to correctly anticipate trim levels and options that buyers would want. Sales have risen for the last three months but have reached only an annual rate of 55,000 units a year.

'Too radical'

The Quest's styling appears to have polarized potential minivan buyers, such as those discussing their purchase decisions in Edmunds.com's Town Hall. Some claim the Quest's styling difference compared to more traditional minivans was a big reason for their decision to buy the Nissan. But others panned the look. One called it "just too radical."

One Edmunds.com subscriber noted: "Styling sells, but not when it is goofy, like the dash styling of the Nissan Quest, which is an ergonomic nightmare."

The minivan has some much-praised attributes, including the widest sliding door opening in its class. Its third-row seat tumbles into the floor, and the second-row seats fold flat, allowing a 4-by-8 sheet of plywood to fit inside. The handgrips are smaller in circumference and positioned lower for children trying to enter the vehicle.

'Avant-garde'

At the vehicle's press introduction last year, Nissan Design America designer Alfonso Albaisa said: "The masses are being exposed to very modern things. Our design may be avant-garde for minivans, but it's not for Nissan."

Todd Turner, an analyst with Car Concepts in Thousand Oaks, Calif., says Nissan "took a risk in hoping they could get buyers excited about a segment that is as mundane as toast."

"Nissan needed Quest to be successful and profitable out of the chute," Turner says. "It's holding its own against the other fringe players, but it's not where it should be. The risk has not paid off."

Has Nissan learned a lesson from the Quest? Nakamura says designers based in trendy environs - such as Nissan's studio near San Diego - should be wary.

"Fashion is moving toward being more modern," Nakamura says. "But we need to be careful about how quickly design direction moves from the coasts into the center of the country."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100661

Old 08-25-04, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
THe Sienna is currently the best minivan on the market and every magazine review has basically called it a Lexus in execution.
Yes, Lexus definitely should consider a version of it. With the Sienna's already smooth, quiet ride and built-in refinement, they wouldn't have much work to do to get it up to Lexus standards.
Old 08-25-04, 09:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, Lexus definitely should consider a version of it. With the Sienna's already smooth, quiet ride and built-in refinement, they wouldn't have much work to do to get it up to Lexus standards.
No Lexus minivans please, the Sienna should stay as a Toyota IMHO.
Old 08-25-04, 09:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SexySC
No Lexus minivans please
Why not? Give us a good reason why not and maybe we'll buy it.
Old 08-25-04, 10:03 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Why not? Give us a good reason why not and maybe we'll buy it.
Tell me how you'd improve the top-of-the-line, loaded XLE Sienna.

From where I'm sitting, there's not a whole heck of a lot that could be done to the vehicle aside from a rebadge/title.

The interior is top notch, the quality is top notch, the power is top-notch, the ride is wonderful, the reliability is unquestioned .... all this as a Toyota.

The price is also already outrageous with those XLE's topping out at over 40 grand. So a markup and "Lexus" plastered on the back would probably just cause sticker shock and a trip to the Toyota dealership for an XLE Sienna.

Let's face it - brand cachet isn't really a huge factor in the minivan market and doesn't command a huge premium in price. Just look at the Chrysler vs. Dodge vans.

M.
Old 08-25-04, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry....maybe I could have phrased that a little better.....Give us a good reason and maybe we'll be enlightened.
Old 08-25-04, 10:10 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Sorry....maybe I could have phrased that a little better.....Give us a good reason and maybe we'll be enlightened.
We posted at nearly the same time - but above is my guess as to why we'll never see a Lexus van.
Old 08-25-04, 10:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by whipimpin

From where I'm sitting, there's not a whole heck of a lot that could be done to the vehicle aside from a rebadge/title.

The interior is top notch, the quality is top notch, the power is top-notch, the ride is wonderful, the reliability is unquestioned .... all this as a Toyota.

The price is also already outrageous with those XLE's topping out at over 40 grand. So a markup and "Lexus" plastered on the back would probably just cause sticker shock and a trip to the Toyota dealership for an XLE Sienna.

Let's face it - brand cachet isn't really a huge factor in the minivan market and doesn't command a huge premium in price. Just look at the Chrysler vs. Dodge vans.

M.
Well, most of the existing Lexus products already have Toyota equivalents.

Camry.....ES330
Altezza.....IS200 / 300
Aristo.......GS330 / 430
Land Cruiser......LX470
4Runner....GX470
Highlander....RX330
Old 08-25-04, 10:20 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's face it - brand cachet isn't really a huge factor in the minivan market and doesn't command a huge premium in price.
I totally agree. Minivan buyers are the most practical of all. To them, there's little rational reason why they should pay premium for a luxury badge.
Not to mention that the image of minivans still hasn't really picked up much over these years. For now at least, Lexus should definitely steer clear of producing a minivan to avoid dilution of its image.

Conclusion: Lexus minivan = needless premium with no benefit for minivan buyers = bad for Lexus's image = why bother?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-25-04 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 10:31 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Easy. Stop selling the XLE Sienna. Only offer the top of the line models in Lexus dealerships. Make the cut say at 30k. Anything below that you get next door at Toyota.

It worked for the Landcruiser/LX. Could work here as well.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think Lexus is fine the way it is and doesn't need a minivan offering. Acura has no minivan, neither does Infiniti, MB, BMW or any other luxo name. So I don't really see the need but it would be nice. It would cut into RX sales I'd imagine since most RX's are sold for the same soccer mom purpose as a van and it's the closest thing Lexus they can get.

The minivan craze of the 90's is over, however. Everyone switched over to SUV's since minivan's weren't just cool anymore. Same thing that happened with the station wagon when the minivan came out. Funny that.

Each make only really needs one van to offer to be competitive. SUV's tho will have several offerings from each make.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a rebadged Sienna. Say it was a Lexus LV330. Or QV or SV, who cares. I'd love to see the type of goodies they'd pack in there as well as the exterior lights, bumpers, grilles, etc.
Old 08-25-04, 10:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally posted by XeroK00L
I totally agree. Minivan buyers are the most practical of all. To them, there's little rational reason why they should pay premium for a luxury badge.
Not to mention that the image of minivans still hasn't really picked up much over these years. For now at least, Lexus should definitely steer clear of producing a minivan to avoid dilution of its image.

Conclusion: Lexus minivan = needless premium with no benefit for minivan buyers = bad for Lexus's image = why bother?
WERD
Old 08-25-04, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by XeroK00L

Well, the Chrysler Town and Country has sold quite well over the years, in spite of the fact that it is a premium nameplate and has both siblings Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Voyager in the lineup. The Voyager started out as a Plymouth and was tranferred to Chrysler when Plymouth bit the dust. The Town and Country always was a Chrysler, though...in in 2WD and AWD forms. Mercury is now marketing an upmarket version of the new Ford Freestar....the Monterrey. Oldsmobile sold an upmarket version of the Chevy Lumina APV....the Silhouette. With Olds' demise, Buick will now carry on with an upmarket minivan of its own...the 2005 Terraza. Sorry, folks....we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I just don't buy the argument that upmarket minivans don't ( and won't ) sell. So...we'll just disagree and leave it at that.

Quick Reply: 04' Sienna