Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

04' Sienna

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 12:02 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, the Chrysler Town and Country has sold quite well over the years, in spite of the fact that it is a premium nameplate and has both siblings Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Voyager in the lineup. The Voyager started out as a Plymouth and was tranferred to Chrysler when Plymouth bit the dust. The Town and Country always was a Chrysler, though...in in 2WD and AWD forms. Mercury is now marketing an upmarket version of the new Ford Freestar....the Monterrey. Oldsmobile sold an upmarket version of the Chevy Lumina APV....the Silhouette. With Olds' demise, Buick will now carry on with an upmarket minivan of its own...the 2005 Terraza. Sorry, folks....we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I just don't buy the argument that upmarket minivans don't ( and won't ) sell. So...we'll just disagree and leave it at that.
Sorry to sound like continuing an argument here.

While I totally see your point, the thing is that, unlike DaimlerChrysler, GM and Ford, Toyota doesn't own a whole lot of brands. Chrysler, Oldsmobile and Mercury represent those manufacturer's respective entries to the mid-luxury market, while the Lexus brand was created only to pursue the higher-end luxury market. That's why we aren't seeing a Mercedes, a Cadilac, or a Jaguar minivan. So for Toyota, anything that doesn't convey a high-end image should fall into the Toyota branding territory.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-25-04 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-25-04, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by XeroK00L
Sorry to sound like continuing an argument here.

While I totally see your point, the thing is that, unlike DaimlerChrysler, GM and Ford, Toyota doesn't own a whole lot of brands. Chrysler, Oldsmobile and Mercury represent those manufacturer's respective entries to the mid-luxury market, while the Lexus brand was created only to pursue the higher-end luxury market. That's why we aren't seeing a Mercedes, a Cadilac, or a Jaguar minivan. So for Toyota, anything that doesn't convey a high-end image should fall into the Toyota branding territory.
Ok...fair enough. As I said, we'll just leave it at that.
Old 08-25-04, 08:53 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by XeroK00L
the Lexus brand was created only to pursue the higher-end luxury market. That's why we aren't seeing a Mercedes, a Cadilac, or a Jaguar minivan. So for Toyota, anything that doesn't convey a high-end image should fall into the Toyota branding territory.
i know the discussion has ended, but i just like to say that i agree with Xerokool and others who don't think lexus should make mini vans.

i simply cannot see a BMW, Mercedes, nor a Lexus minivan. the whole concept of the mini van just does not match the brand images.
Old 08-26-04, 08:16 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Well when/if u do get the wheels on the van, be sure to post pictures because i've never seen wheels on a the current gen Sienna before.