Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 05:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The fallacy of logic is that because a technology is hard to implement or may not even work in a large city (I think it will work), that it won't have value or won't be implemented. Like I said, I live outside Washington, DC but pretty much everywhere I drive on a regular basis a self driving car would work just fine for me. Highways, suburban roads. So if I have to take over when I get into the city, that's just one portion of my driving area.

A technology doesn't have to solve every solution to be of value.

Also, "autonomous cars" doesn't have to mean that the driver NEVER drives. It may be that in some situations the car can drive itself and the driver can sleep, work, etc. Highway trips, etc. And in some they have to drive. I think that's the short term most likely result. Eventually though, I do think we will have totally autonomous cars within my lifetime.
Even the highway a self driving car is not possible. There are just too many factors that still require human intervention. A self driving car won't be able to recognize certain hazards, say like small pebbles flying off a truck that are the size of road insects but are much more hazardous. There could be a car ahead of you that is behaving erratically, which could be a sign that its driven by a drunk driver. There could be a car in front of you with a wobbling tire thats about to fall off, there could be ice or snow on the roof of a car or truck in front of you, or an animal on the side of the road, or black ice.

Furthermore, will a self driving car obey all the rules and only drive the speed limit and obey every sign? It is often necessary to break the law in order to keep traffic moving, but can a self driving car be programmed to break a law? Say can it stop in a no standing zone? Can it cross a double yellow lane to go around a double parked vehicle? Will the government approve a self driving car that is programmed to break laws? Will all self driving cars be the same weird looking econoboxes or will we have different types of cars, perhaps a self driving sports car? Will manufacturers compete with each other to develop better algorithms - for instance can a self driving BMW have an arrogant algorithm to take a parking spot right in front of a slowpoke self driving Prius that's been patiently waiting for it for 30 minutes?

All in all, suburban parents should stop worrying about their precious kids so much and stop trying to protect them from everything in the real world, even such basic things as driving. Because these pampered hummusicles will only grow up to be funemployed kidults with liberal arts degrees, incapable of doing anything besides growing licy beards and handcrafting dog poop art.
Old 01-19-17, 06:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I'm certainly not going to debate whether autonomous driving cars will ever happen on the highway because I can go buy one right now that drive autonomously on the highway lol

Don't know how old your car is, but my cars know what the speed limit is on almost every road I drive on, and my van has dynamic cruise control that keeps pace with the traffic around it.

Again, I've said it many times. Autonomous driving doesn't have to mean the car makes all decisions. Doesn't have to mean the car chooses parking spaces, sets speeds, etc. It means it does the mechanics of driving for you, and like I said you can buy one that does so in certain situations right now.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-19-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-19-17, 07:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm certainly not going to debate whether autonomous driving cars will ever happen on the highway because I can go buy one right now that drive autonomously on the highway lol

Don't know how old your car is, but my cars know what the speed limit is on almost every road I drive on, and my van has dynamic cruise control that keeps pace with the traffic around it.

Again, I've said it many times. Autonomous driving doesn't have to mean the car makes all decisions. Doesn't have to mean the car chooses parking spaces, sets speeds, etc. It means it does the mechanics of driving for you, and like I said you can buy one that does so in certain situations right now.
You're contradicting yourself. Autonomous means autonomous. You absolutely cannot buy a car that can drive on a highway autonomously - it still requires full attention of human driver.
Old 01-19-17, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

it's like I'm in some strange parallel universe.

Unsubscribed lol
Old 01-19-17, 10:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Great reads over here.

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/publ...imony-2016.pdf

​​​​​​http://searchcio.techtarget.com/blog...-MIT-professor
Old 01-20-17, 03:09 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This was a particularly good read given the author is knowledgeable about the technologies and has pragmatic experience.

I think a big problem in the discussion is the improper use of the word "autonomous". The fact that people in the discussion constantly have to use the term "100% autonomous" demonstrates the problem - autonomous, as defined in this context, should mean 100% autonomous. It's the not-100%-autonomous forms that should require a modifier (i.e., semi-autonomous), but so many people use the word "autonomous" when they really mean "semi-autonomous".
Old 01-20-17, 04:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
This was a particularly good read given the author is knowledgeable about the technologies and has pragmatic experience.

I think a big problem in the discussion is the improper use of the word "autonomous". The fact that people in the discussion constantly have to use the term "100% autonomous" demonstrates the problem - autonomous, as defined in this context, should mean 100% autonomous. It's the not-100%-autonomous forms that should require a modifier (i.e., semi-autonomous), but so many people use the word "autonomous" when they really mean "semi-autonomous".
Precisely. It's either its autonomous or it's not. Furthermore, these semi-autonomous driving aids can potentially be far worse than no driver aids at all, since they will encourage the driver to get distracted. There are already two people that were killed who relied on Tesla's driving aids, and luckily they only took themselves out of the gene pool. Unfortunately it is inevitable that more accidents will happen, and lawyers already see some major dollar signs. Will be interesting to watch where it goes.
Old 01-20-17, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

coming soon... truck drivers fast asleep and snoring in the back of the semi-bed as the truck proceeds barreling down the interstate.
Old 01-20-17, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
coming soon... truck drivers fast asleep and snoring in the back of the semi-bed as the truck proceeds barreling down the interstate.
As fear as speeding trucks go, I just wonder if those autonomous-driving GPS-computers know where these are.......

You're not used to seeing these, of course, in billard-table flat Florida.

Old 02-20-17, 12:42 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Bumping up an "old" thread, but this article makes for an interesting read. Clearly autonomous driving technologies are in their infancy today, but in 15-20 years, it may be a different story.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Driving_Cars/
Old 03-10-17, 06:04 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

From Club Lexus home page.

Lexus LS600hL test bed for autonomous driving technologies.

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/t...-driving-tech/

Old 03-10-17, 07:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

From what I'm seeing, parents of kids born today or tomorrow dont know how to drive so dont expect miracles from those kids.
Old 03-10-17, 09:24 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by situman
From what I'm seeing, parents of kids born today or tomorrow dont know how to drive so dont expect miracles from those kids.
LOL. But that's the point exactly. With advances in semi-autonomous and autonomous driving technologies, today's newborns may not learn how to drive at all, let alone drive poorly!
Old 03-10-17, 09:27 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
LOL. But that's the point exactly. With advances in semi-autonomous and autonomous driving technologies, today's newborns may not learn how to drive at all, let alone drive poorly!
nope, not my kids that's for sure. "they gon' learn today" - when they're 15 and a half
Old 03-10-17, 09:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
We can mark the decline of driving skills and as a civilization overall 10yrs ago when some dude in too tight dark clothing stood on a stage in Silicon Valley. The decline accelerated a year ago corresponding with the intro of Pokemon Go!

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles