Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-17, 10:03 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
nope, not my kids that's for sure. "they gon' learn today" - when they're 15 and a half
Ok, let's compare notes in 15 years . Heck, why drive, we may even have Uber drones ferrying people around

Originally Posted by situman
We can mark the decline of driving skills and as a civilization overall 10yrs ago when some dude in too tight dark clothing stood on a stage in Silicon Valley. The decline accelerated a year ago corresponding with the intro of Pokemon Go!
See, how productive our kids can be when they don't have to drive themselves? So much more time for Pokeman Go and SnapChat and Facebook, and who knows what else in 15 years
Old 03-10-17, 08:00 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We need to implement this technology right now. Millennials who are currently driving can't get their noses out of their devices long enough to keep up with traffic, stoplights, etc. They friggin' LIVE inside their devices in their virtual world and don't care what traffic is doing around them.

Texas is "open carry" and the only reason I don't have a gun is because I may shoot someone texting on their device while I try to get through traffic.
Old 03-11-17, 12:59 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
From what I'm seeing, parents of kids born today or tomorrow dont know how to drive so dont expect miracles from those kids.
So where do you get that assumption from. I'm 33 and an avid auto enthusiast.
Old 03-11-17, 01:07 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/25/t...they.html?_r=0

http://fortune.com/2017/01/18/apple-texting-driving-2/

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...rivers-phones/

This is one of the best answers for texting and driving right now. I use a smartphone extensively and I don't have a single problem with this. I can remember a time when handheld cellphones as we know them were not a reality and I had to use paper maps and notes to carefully plan out my long trips. I also started driving at a time when simpler handheld cellphones were common and texting was just coming into common use.

With as many external handsfree or head unit control options that are available to still use essential voice calling, voice recognition to text, virtual assistants (Siri, etc) and near handsfree data entry for GPS mapping clients on smart phones, I'd consider this a fair tradeoff for both safety and significantly reducing distracted driving from cellphone use.

If your screen does nothing when you fumble with it in your hand above a certain speed or in whatever situation this technology can "tell" that you are operating a car then you cannot stay glued to it when you should be focused on driving. Autonomous cars will be among us no matter what but interest in driving will be the main determiner of where generations ahead will stand on this. And of course no two people are alike so... there will always be some people who want to go to the extra effort to undergo driving evaluation and become certified to drive certain classes of vehicles or at least private passenger vehicles.

In a couple years or three if handheld devices simply lock you out when operating a vehicle and breathalyzer ignition interlocks that simply disallow inebriated driving at the ignition stage then that's two major contributors to driving hazards on the part of human beings that will be theoretically eliminated... without self-driving car technology. The rest of the onus is on actual driver skill, experience and willingness to pay attention. But years of constant driving experience is what will have to be built up to become better at something no longer absolutely required.

I imagine driving tests might become more stringent but perhaps not egregiously so (think German driver training and certification). Still, if this is an elective and not mandatory form of driver evaluation and certification and perhaps with some more cost... not everyone will jump to be signed up for it. That's okay, I think. I just would hope the option remains available always at your DMV and/or through private driver schools.

I really do think it will be a divided debate however and one with different origins for anyone born into an era where driving a new car themselves in full manual mode or driving a "vintage" car will be elective choice with certain hoops that will have to be jumped through.

Realistically and legislatively I certainly hope it doesn't become economically inaccessible due to high insurance for having a DIY driving license, vintage car, new car that has a steering wheel, etc. Or worse, not an act or privilege that is valued and supported. The interest in driving for fun will always be there but will it be made difficult to be allowed to with proper training, vetting and initial observation is what I wonder about.

It will become an optional thing no doubt but I think enthusiasm for all manual driving ALL the time will begin to be localized into groups that like certain types of vehicles and not the most common ones used for the most routine of trips. Some people will want nothing to do with manual driving. I think there will always be some people who do and will enjoy the experience for its own sake in any situation.

Autonomous technology is really no good if it cannot tolerate human drivers and unpredictable obstacles around it at all times anyway.

Some people think I'm ridiculous when I tell them I don't mind a manual transmission car in heavy city traffic (I don't). I can see that being looked at with utter dumbfounded disbelief a few generations from now. I'll still do it of course (even if that manual gearbox is bolted to an electric motor) and will be considered a crazy older guy who does utterly baffling things that make no sense to most younger people. Except maybe some

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-11-17 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 03-11-17, 08:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Half the people in the city are walking around while staring at their phones, completely unaware of their surrounding - they often can't even guess their own next move, so how do you expect computer software to predict it?
Old 03-11-17, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Half the people in the city are walking around while staring at their phones, completely unaware of their surrounding - they often can't even guess their own next move, so how do you expect computer software to predict it?
Not this again lol.
Old 03-11-17, 02:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not this again lol.
LOL, I was afraid of this when I bumped up the thread!
Old 03-11-17, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Good point, Och. Might as well be tossing darts at a board.
Old 03-11-17, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because computer intelligence never improves with time right?

The 5 LS identifies that texting pedestrian and evades them automatically while staying in its lane, which pushes the envelope a little bit closer to a self driving car.

Next?
Old 03-11-17, 09:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's hilarious how many people simply don't have common sense.
Old 03-12-17, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Common sense 100 years ago would have told you many, many of our advances were not possible.
Old 03-12-17, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I can remember a time when handheld cellphones as we know them were not a reality and I had to use paper maps and notes to carefully plan out my long trips.
Did you ever look at said maps and notes while driving?

Realistically and legislatively I certainly hope it doesn't become economically inaccessible due to high insurance for having a DIY driving license, vintage car, new car that has a steering wheel, etc. Or worse, not an act or privilege that is valued and supported. The interest in driving for fun will always be there but will it be made difficult to be allowed to with proper training, vetting and initial observation is what I wonder about.
Driving for fun will best be done in a VR game environment. 'Real' driving will become very expensive on public roads (or off) and only for the privileged few much like horseback riding.
Old 03-12-17, 03:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's hilarious how many people simply don't have common sense.
another reason self-driving cars make every bit of sense. and there is now hundreds of billions being invested in machine learning. i think you're going to be shocked how quickly it happens.
Old 03-12-17, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing (among many) that concerns me with self-driving vehicles is how they will will cope with icy roads and salt/abasives. ABS can prevent wheel lock-up, but won't necessarily help you stop any quicker. Even if the automatic cruise-control will keep a set distance from the car in front (and that alone will limit how many vehicles can actually use a certain stretch of road any one given time), if a sudden stop needs to be made, and there is no escape route to either side of the car in front of you, the car may not be able to stop in time.

One way around that, of course, would be to have heating elements in the pavement that automatically melt ice without salt and abrasives (salt and abrasives could block the vision of, damage or corrode the sensors/cameras used in self-driving cars). But either designing new roads like that, or retro-fitting existing ones would probably be too expensive and impractical, and most jurisdictions would choose not to do it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 05:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing (among many) that concerns me with self-driving vehicles is how they will will cope with icy roads and salt/abasives. ABS can prevent wheel lock-up, but won't necessarily help you stop any quicker. Even if the automatic cruise-control will keep a set distance from the car in front (and that alone will limit how many vehicles can actually use a certain stretch of road any one given time), if a sudden stop needs to be made, and there is no escape route to either side of the car in front of you, the car may not be able to stop in time.

One way around that, of course, would be to have heating elements in the pavement that automatically melt ice without salt and abrasives (salt and abrasives could block the vision of, damage or corrode the sensors/cameras used in self-driving cars). But either designing new roads like that, or retro-fitting existing ones wold probably be too expensive and impractical, and most jurisdictions would choose not to do it.
Autonomous vehicles may not be able to see the visible ice or salt on the roads but they will be able to determine that driving conditions are no longer "normal" and will be able to handle the difference. In fact, autonomous vehicles will probably sense the change in driving conditions much more quickly than even a professional driver.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles