Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 10:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
makes perfect sense and can save TONS of money, although not yet as the trucks still have a 'just in case' drive sitting there... presumably surfing facebook.
How is it going to save a ton of money if you have a just in case driver which means you still have to pay the truck driver and also implement the self driving technology which will cost more. If they eventually try eliminating truck drivers that will mean eliminating hundreds of thousands if not millions of middle class jobs which will only be bad for the economy.
Old 03-08-18, 01:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How is it going to save a ton of money if you have a just in case driver which means you still have to pay the truck driver and also implement the self driving technology which will cost more. If they eventually try eliminating truck drivers that will mean eliminating hundreds of thousands if not millions of middle class jobs which will only be bad for the economy.
You are dealing with Uber, and they don't care about destroying jobs. They have already oversaturated the market here in NYC, destroying livelihood of many thousands of taxi and limo drivers. Uber drivers, or ants as they often refer to themselves, are earning just $8.55 on average. https://nypost.com/2018/03/05/revise...irst-reported/

I can almost see Uber lobbying the government to allow for these so called "self driving" trucks to be operated by someone without commercial license, and allowing them to drive unlimited shifts. If they succeed, that industry will get flooded by unqualified drivers willing to slave away for less than minimum wage.
Old 03-08-18, 01:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

that's why i wrote the qualifier 'not yet'.

and it will be an economic change for sure, but when we went from horse-drawn buggies to cars a lot of people who shoveled **** for a living were out of jobs too.
Old 03-08-18, 05:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

that's why i wrote the qualifier 'not yet'.

and it will be an economic change for sure, but when we went from horse-drawn buggies to cars a lot of people who shoveled **** for a living were out of jobs too.
Those jobs were easily replaced by auto workers, auto salesman, mechanics, car designers, dmv, gas station attendants, etc. This is totally different, the effects could be disastrous putting so many middle class out of work not mention I don't want to be on the road full of a bunch of big rigs with no drivers and buggy computer systems built to a cost hoping they don't malfunction and are able to cope with any issue on the road ways.
Old 03-08-18, 05:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Those jobs were easily replaced by auto workers, auto salesman, mechanics, car designers, dmv, gas station attendants, etc. This is totally different, the effects could be disastrous putting so many middle class out of work not mention I don't want to be on the road full of a bunch of big rigs with no drivers and buggy computer systems built to a cost hoping they don't malfunction and are able to cope with any issue on the road ways.
and new jobs will be created by new changes as well... until machines start building machines, we are safe. lol.
Old 03-08-18, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and new jobs will be created by new changes as well... until machines start building machines, we are safe. lol.
Skynet meets the AllSpark
Old 03-08-18, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

given your hatred of touch screens and self-driving cars, basically progress - perhaps you should consider moving to an Amish community.
Old 03-08-18, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

given your hatred of touch screens and self-driving cars, basically progress - perhaps you should consider moving to an Amish community.
UDel has a point. Opposition to an over-reliance on self-driving technology is not limited to Amish and Mennonites. And there are others here in Car Chat who also share that view.
Old 03-08-18, 10:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Touch screens in cars are "progress"? There are a lot of people that would disagree with that. I call self driving cars and especially 18 wheelers terrifying "progress".
Old 03-09-18, 07:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Just this morning I was almost t-boned by a Comcast truck that decided to run a stop sign and almost merged into by an idiot in an Audi. Human drivers are pretty bad
Old 03-09-18, 12:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Touch screens in cars are "progress"? There are a lot of people that would disagree with that.
i'm sure you prefer this.

love the 9 button pad

I call self driving cars and especially 18 wheelers terrifying "progress".
my girlfriend's son just died because he fell asleep on an empty interstate at night and went off the road. fortunately he didn't take out anyone else as well. i wish his vehicle had been self driving.
Old 03-09-18, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i'm sure you prefer this.
That dash, itself, was considered progress over the digital-dashboards of several years earlier, but, I agree with you that is simply too many buttons.

my girlfriend's son just died because he fell asleep on an empty interstate at night and went off the road. fortunately he didn't take out anyone else as well. i wish his vehicle had been self driving.
Sad, but people, to date, have also been killed in self-driving cars.
Old 03-09-18, 03:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sad, but people, to date, have also been killed in self-driving cars.
do you mean the 1 tesla crash? that happened nearby me and tesla had obviously made 'bolder' claims about their car than reality and apparently the guy driving it hadn't used the controls for half an hour and crashed without slowing into a white-sided semi the car simply didn't 'see'. anyway, if this is the 'people' you're referring to, i'd call this more darwin award than where things are going very shortly.
Old 03-09-18, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

do you mean the 1 tesla crash?
Not every one has been publicized. I don't think anyone knows the actual number.
Old 03-09-18, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not every one has been publicized. I don't think anyone knows the actual number.
and thus you don't know either of those things.

and since the press and public are keenly interested (and many concerned) about self-driving vehicles, if there had been more deaths by self-driving cars, they would have gotten press.

heck even very minor fender benders when it wasn't even the self-driving car's fault have been written up.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles