Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I promise you every single self driving car accident, let alone a death has been publicized lol
Old 03-09-18, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I promise you every single self driving car accident, let alone a death has been publicized lol
I don't think anyone on this forum can make that promise, but I'm not going to be-labor the point.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-18 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The press are watching, nobody is dying in a self driving car accident without the press reporting it. It would be a huge story.
Old 03-11-18, 12:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure you prefer this.

love the 9 button pad

my girlfriend's son just died because he fell asleep on an empty interstate at night and went off the road. fortunately he didn't take out anyone else as well. i wish his vehicle had been self driving.
I have a separate thread on the interiors I like and there was no fisher price plastic fantastic 90's Bonneville interior although I bet it is less annoying to use then many touchscreen systems, I do like the BMW 8 series from that era that was full of buttons.

You can be killed in a self driving car if a system malfunctions like in that Tesla that killed its driver. How about instead of fully self driving, systems that warn and take over when it senses a impending accident and no reaction or when someone has fallen asleep and is about to get in a collision, that I am totally fine with.
Old 03-11-18, 02:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How about instead of fully self driving, systems that warn and take over when it senses a impending accident and no reaction or when someone has fallen asleep and is about to get in a collision, that I am totally fine with.
The "collision prevention" systems are horrible. I was trying to do an aggressive take over at WOT, and the system decided to apply braking and almost got me into an accident. Needless to say I turn this crap off immediately every time I get in the car.
Old 03-11-18, 02:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

That's just blatant bs.
Old 03-11-18, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
That's just blatant bs.
Do you honestly believe that the media is ignoring deaths in self driving cars? As hot a topic as this is?

As to your other post, why were you “doing an aggressive takeover at WOT”? If you drive safely and defensively these technologies don’t bother you. Drive like an aggressive madman then yeah, it’s going to think you’re going to crash and try and help you.

I’ve had 4 cars with this technology now and somehow they’ve never tried to kill me. But, I don’t “aggressively overtake people at WOT”
Old 03-11-18, 03:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Do you honestly believe that the media is ignoring deaths in self driving cars? As hot a topic as this is?

You claimed every incident involving self driving cars has been publicized, which is total BS.

Speaking of deaths, compare media attention to the death caused directly by Tesla autopilot vs the Toyota's unintended acceleration.

As to your other post, why were you “doing an aggressive takeover at WOT”? If you drive safely and defensively these technologies don’t bother you. Drive like an aggressive madman then yeah, it’s going to think you’re going to crash and try and help you.

I’ve had 4 cars with this technology now and somehow they’ve never tried to kill me. But, I don’t “aggressively overtake people at WOT”
I don't generally drive aggressively, but sometimes aggression is necessary. In that particular case, I had just merged onto a highway, and there was an idiot slowpoke in front of me doing about 10-15 under the limit for not apparent reason, while the traffic in the left two lanes was doing 10-15 over the limit. The traffic was pretty dense, and I didn't want to be stuck behind him, so had to accelerate very aggressively in a short distance to make the merge.

But thats not even the point. The point is that it can be potentially dangerous when this system interferes with driver's intentions and can easily lead to a collision. Ironically BMW calls this system "intelligent safety", and the first thing I do when I turn the car on, is turn this stupid system off.
Old 03-11-18, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Tesla autopilot death was all over the news
Old 03-11-18, 03:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The Tesla autopilot death was all over the news
Not anywhere near as much as Toyota's unintended acceleration, which turned out to be total BS.
Old 03-11-18, 06:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You can be killed in a self driving car if a system malfunctions like in that Tesla that killed its driver.
Ok, how about some facts here... tesla's 'autopilot' feature is considered semi-autonomous, not fully 'self driving', and the system DID NOT malfunction.

Read the full accound and police reoort here:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/1/14...-patrol-report

How about instead of fully self driving, systems that warn and take over when it senses a impending accident and no reaction or when someone has fallen asleep and is about to get in a collision, that I am totally fine with.
We're already there. how about this quote from the article.
NHTSA looked into the crash and found that the system had worked appropriately, and that the Automatic Emergency Braking and Forward Collision Warning systems that were installed in the Model S were not designed to alert on a crossing vehicle. It also found that the crash rate of Tesla cars dropped by 40 percent after the Autopilot system was installed, largely vindicating Tesla which had claimed that Autopilot delivered a “statistically significant improvement in safety” when compared to “purely manual driving.”
Old 03-11-18, 06:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Was going to say this but Bitkahuna beat me to it, Tesla's semi-autonomous system did not kill the driver in that particular crash. The driver did it all to himself and failed to follow safety protocols. That's going to happen in any case with a car that's not being operated correctly.

Originally Posted by Och
I don't generally drive aggressively, but sometimes aggression is necessary. In that particular case, I had just merged onto a highway, and there was an idiot slowpoke in front of me doing about 10-15 under the limit for not apparent reason, while the traffic in the left two lanes was doing 10-15 over the limit. The traffic was pretty dense, and I didn't want to be stuck behind him, so had to accelerate very aggressively in a short distance to make the merge.
Sounds like a lot of aggressive driving for a simple instance of someone simply driving in front of you only 10-15 mph below the speed limit. There are people like that who create problems all the time, but safe drivers do not let impatience dictate their actions in reaction to other drivers. I've had drivers who were busy on the phone and texting driving at least 25 - 30 mph below the limit who drive me nuts. Or the senior who should be off the road, driving at around 20 mph for no reason. But I take a breath and just get past it.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-11-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I also did a google maps street view of that road area and coincidentally there's a white semi coming westbound in that view too!

Old 03-11-18, 09:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ Was going to say this but Bitkahuna beat me to it, Tesla's semi-autonomous system did not kill the driver in that particular crash. The driver did it all to himself and failed to follow safety protocols. That's going to happen in any case with a car that's not being operated correctly.
Tesla was not at fault in this case, but neither was Toyota in the "unintended acceleration" fatal accident. Both vehicles were operated by incompetent drivers. But Toyota was put under fire by the US government and the media, and had to pay huge fines although no fault was ever found. On the other hand Tesla, being a government love child, didn't have to deal with any of that.
Old 03-11-18, 10:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota also was hit with a ton of class action lawsuits and there were multiple incidents. Entirely different.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles