Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 05:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default People want self-driving cars to prioritize young lives over the elderly

Today, MIT released the results of a global survey on the moral and ethical decisions that autonomous vehicles should be programmed to make. The survey reveals that general preferences include prioritizing human lives over animals, younger and healthier people over the elderly and saving more lives over fewer lives. People also preferred to spare bystanders (who were obeying the law) over jaywalkers.

The study is unique because of its sheer scale; over 2 million people from 200+ countries participated in the survey. It presented variations the "Trolley Problem," a classic ethical dilemma that asks participants to choose who to save in the event that an out-of-control trolley is endangering people. When it comes to autonomous vehicles, the software may have to prioritize whether to swerve into a group of people to avoid a head-on collision or decide whether to save its own passengers at the expense of lives in another vehicle.

While the survey results revealed general preferences, there were variations and trends based on where respondents were from. "The main preferences were to some degree universally agreed upon," lead author Edmond Awad, a postdoc at MIT, said in a release. "But the degree to which they agree with this or not varies among different groups or countries." An example is that in "eastern" countries, including many in Asia, respondents were not in favor of prioritizing young lives over the elderly.

The full results of the study will be published in the journal Nature. It will be interesting to see if autonomous vehicle programmers take results into account when determining the ethical and moral preferences of the vehicles they are working on.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/24/...dy/?yptr=yahoo

This makes me effing sick.
Old 10-24-18, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is where systems like that are probably going to end up.

Old 10-24-18, 08:30 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This is where systems like that are probably going to end up.

Hopefully we don't have a stupid AI system for self-driving cars that "prefer" to hit elderly persons over younger persons. That's just ludicrous.
Old 10-24-18, 09:09 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Hopefully we don't have a stupid AI system for self-driving cars that "prefer" to hit elderly persons over younger persons. That's just ludicrous.
Would you prefer the car to hit the younger person? I guess since the person is younger, recovery should be quicker if it's not serious lol
Old 10-24-18, 09:13 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Its also easier for the government to track our whereabouts
Old 10-24-18, 09:29 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

well that's certainly cruel and very darwinian but in a way makes sense. from a purely evolutionary standpoint, there's more "need" for younger people to stay alive, at least until they have kids. our society isn't run on purely evolutionary principles though so this obviously needs some more thought lol.

i think fully autonomous cars are as likely to happen as flying cars so i don't think this is a major concern.
Old 10-24-18, 09:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Would you prefer the car to hit the younger person? I guess since the person is younger, recovery should be quicker if it's not serious lol
So you would prefer to hit someone else's parents rather than someone's children? There is no right answer to the question. I would prefer the car to hit no one.

The problem with self-driving cars is the morality of the AI system. Humans, no matter how flawed we are, I bet majority of us would swing the car into a tree than hit someone.
Old 10-25-18, 11:52 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So you would prefer to hit someone else's parents rather than someone's children? There is no right answer to the question. I would prefer the car to hit no one.

The problem with self-driving cars is the morality of the AI system. Humans, no matter how flawed we are, I bet majority of us would swing the car into a tree than hit someone.
Well, everyone would prefer the car would hit no one. This is referring to a (probably very unlikely)situation in which hitting a pedestrian is unavoidable and the AI has to chose which way to go. Either one is going to result in an injury, but in this case it would prioritize the safety of a younger person.

Its not saying the car is going to be a heat seeking missile, hell bent on hurting geriatrics.
Old 10-25-18, 11:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how does a car know if its a young or old person
Old 10-25-18, 12:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how does a car know if its a young or old person
Oh that's super easy - you just use a forward looking camera and program it to look for a Cadillac or Buick badge

(just kidding @mmarshall )

On a serious note, the ethical debate here is complex, in no small part because it's obviously not the "car" making the potentially life or death decision but the engineers who developed the software effectively making the call and determining, in advance and without any context, who they think is expendable, who should be more likely to bite the dust, or who should be spared to live to see another day.....

Last edited by swajames; 10-25-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Oh that's super easy - you just use a forward looking camera and program it to look for a Cadillac or Buick badge

(just kidding @mmarshall )
You forget...I had a big Buick when I was in college, 19 years old LOL
Old 10-25-18, 12:22 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You forget...I had a big Buick when I was in college, 19 years old LOL
Touché!
Old 10-25-18, 01:06 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bacon
Well, everyone would prefer the car would hit no one. This is referring to a (probably very unlikely)situation in which hitting a pedestrian is unavoidable and the AI has to chose which way to go. Either one is going to result in an injury, but in this case it would prioritize the safety of a younger person.

Its not saying the car is going to be a heat seeking missile, hell bent on hurting geriatrics.
Yes. I do understand that the car, if programmed this way, would favor the younger person over the older person. I know its not going to missile towards the elder folk. The problem is - if there is a situation where the AI car needs to hit someone, it ill-moral way to think that its "okay" to hit the elder person rather than the younger person. At the end of the day - these are someone's kids, parents, or grand parents.

Since you are the driver, you should hit a pillar and save other people first because you are the one liable behind the wheel.

There is someone in the comment section of the article that made a good point: I believe, the person said and I loosely quote, "the AI self-driving car should protect the people outside of the car before inside of the car because the people inside of the car agreed to letting the car drive them and agree to the risk of the terms of a self-driving car while the people outside of the car never agreed to such terms."
Old 10-25-18, 02:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Yes. I do understand that the car, if programmed this way, would favor the younger person over the older person. I know its not going to missile towards the elder folk. The problem is - if there is a situation where the AI car needs to hit someone, it ill-moral way to think that its "okay" to hit the elder person rather than the younger person. At the end of the day - these are someone's kids, parents, or grand parents.

Since you are the driver, you should hit a pillar and save other people first because you are the one liable behind the wheel.

There is someone in the comment section of the article that made a good point: I believe, the person said and I loosely quote, "the AI self-driving car should protect the people outside of the car before inside of the car because the people inside of the car agreed to letting the car drive them and agree to the risk of the terms of a self-driving car while the people outside of the car never agreed to such terms."
I sell artificial intelligence platforms so I find this an interesting article, topic and debate. Computers have no bias and no emotion - they do what they're told to do and "learn" over time if they are set up as part of a neural network (deep learning). I think this article may be a bit misleading, or people here are inserting things into their argument that are not part of the article. For example, I would bet that autonomous vehicles will be taught to hit a pole or other stationary object over any human, regardless of age, if one is available and if the computer understands that the stationary object can be hit without hitting a bystander (don't just go for the pole if it means you'll hit 2 people getting to the pole). So the logic of "if a human were driving I'd run into a pole to avoid a bystander" only holds water if there is a pole to hit - and that particular scenario is not spelled out in the article. The computer will sense the potential of a crash before a human ever could (especially if other cars are autonomous and all "connected") and AI will react faster than a human ever could. The programmers will get this right. There is little/no doubt that AI can out-perform humans in virtually every task - I'm seeing this in my industry right now and we are still a bit early in AI's capabilities. And as someone who drives about 40k miles/year selling AI, I would welcome the opportunity to get some of the drivers away from the wheel that I encounter on a daily basis and hand things over to a computer. My $.02
Old 10-25-18, 03:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a context to this, and it is this...

Autonomous vehicles will be computer-controlled. Computers are like young children: They are ignorant -- unaware and uninformed -- and know only as much as they have been taught and learned in their short lives; they can walk or pedal a tricycle but do not know how to steer, and will continue straight ahead, perhaps into a collision, for example.

So what if an autonomous vehicle meets a situation in which it is heading straight for a collision? If it has not been taught -- not been programmed -- what to do, it will ignorantly continue on its way, straight into that obstacle.

This problem grows out of what is known as the undergraduate philosophy thought experiment known as the trolley dilemma: A runaway trolley is running out of control on its tracks towards five people; as a bystander you have a choice to pull a lever to divert the trolley onto a side track changing the direction of the trolley but doing so puts it on a course that will result in a single person’s death. What would you do?

So what if that straight-ahead obstacle is a woman on a bicycle (to borrow that Uber collision as an example)? Do you program the vehicle to proceeed straight through (and hit the woman but save the car's passengers) or program it to swerve to avoid? What if the choices then become:
  1. Swerve to the left, into oncoming traffic...
  2. Swerve to the right, into a young family with young children, waiting to cross the street...
  3. What if the oncoming traffic is another car, and hitting it would injure the car's passengers and also injure the other car's passengers, but save the bicyclist and the family from harm?
  4. What if the oncoming traffic is a large truck, and hitting it would likely seriously injure (or kill) the car's passengers but save the bicyclist and the family from harm?
All of these "what ifs" and a value-of-life (ranking who to save) table must be programmed into the autonomous computer's control software.

But how do you determine (and rank) value-of-life? Are the car's passengers at the top of the list (save at all costs)? Who is next? Individuals or groups / families? Young or old? Is it allowable to injure the car's passengers in order to avoid injuring other people?

These are questions that philosophers involved in autonomous vehicle development are working on. They may need the help of local populations, especially if populations in different parts of the world where an autonomous vehicle may operate have different values (some cultures have great respect for their elders while other value their young more).

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles