Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-21, 12:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 723 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's been over over four years since I started to participate in this thread, and it became somewhat heated. Seems like the autonomous tech has not improved at all during these four years - much like I predicted they picked the low hanging fruit, scammed the investors, and it's now being stalled.
Autonomous tech has evolved tremendously over this period, and it will continue to advance. As for the sector as an investment opportunity, I’m personally up around 1700% on Tesla.

Last edited by swajames; 05-31-21 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 10:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Slow weekend, nasty weather in NE, so why not resurrect this thread. Seems that many players are abandoning the self driving ship. Tesla just got rid of radars making their primitive self driving tech even more primitive, Lyft abandoned it's self driving tech (sold it to Toyota) after claiming level 5 autonomy by 2021, Waymo CEO stepped down, and Waymo valuation is down by 85% from 2017. Obviously the whole self driving nonsense was always just a meme to cheat investors.
I agree 100%, level 5 autonomy is way harder than anyone anticipated. It is somewhat of a scam to make investors provide funding early on. It will happen eventually, but will take way longer than what they kept saying, I think level 4 is 10 years away, level 5 is 15-20 years, if it is possible at all.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-01-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 01:56 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like Domino's Pizza beat every one to the punch

Old 06-01-21, 02:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Looks like Domino's Pizza beat every one to the punch

https://youtu.be/FYM1flimFa4
Is in "testing" phase. Tons of companies have been testing in the last 5+ years.
Old 06-01-21, 02:54 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Is in "testing" phase. Tons of companies have been testing in the last 5+ years.
Haha, I did a quick google and one came up that they're testing in Houston.

Long time no see.
Old 06-06-21, 07:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.wsj.com/articles/self-dr...865615?mod=mhp

Great article from the WSJ, I specifically would like to underline this quote:

"A recently published paper called “Why AI is Harder Than We Think” sums up the situation nicely. In it, Melanie Mitchell, a computer scientist and professor of complexity at the Santa Fe Institute, notes that as deadlines for the arrival of autonomous vehicles have slipped, people within the industry are redefining the term. Since these vehicles require a geographically constrained test area and ideal weather conditions—not to mention safety drivers or at least remote monitors—makers and supporters of these vehicles have incorporated all of those caveats into their definition of autonomy.Even with all those asterisks, Dr. Mitchell writes, “none of these predictions has come true.”

Basically they know they can't achieve truly autonomous car, so they are just going to molest the term "autonomous car" until investors stop falling for this nonsense and funding dries up.

Old 06-06-21, 09:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Haha, I did a quick google and one came up that they're testing in Houston.

Long time no see.
Yes long time no see!
Old 06-08-21, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Och's gonna like this

Why the dream of truly driverless cars is slowly dying

Some experts say it'll be a decade or more, others believe level five autonomy may never happen

Despite this assessment, Musk continues to push the baseless idea that Tesla’s Full Self Driving feature is on the cusp of turning the company’s cars into fully-autonomous vehicles.

FSD is a powerful driver assistance-feature, but no matter how close we move the goal posts there’s still no indication that Tesla’s any closer to achieving actual full self-driving than any other manufacturer.

Why were the old experts so wrong?

In 2014 deep learning saw an explosion in popularity on the back of work from numerous computer scientists including Ian Goodfellow. His work developing and defining the general adversarial network (aka, the GAN, a neural network that helps AI produce outputs by acting as both generator and discriminator) made it seem like nearly any feat of autonomy could be accomplished with algorithms and neural networks.

GANs are responsible for many of the amazingly human-like feats modern AI is able to accomplish including DeepFakes, This Person Does Not Exist, and many other systems.

The modern rise of deep learning acted as a rising tide that lifted the field of artificial intelligence research and turned Google, Amazon, and Microsoft into AI-first companies almost overnight.

Now, artificial intelligence is slated to be worth nearly a trillion dollars by 2028, according to experts.

But those gains haven’t translated into the level of technomagic that experts such as Ray Kurzweil predicted. AI that works well in the modern world is almost exclusively very narrow, meaning it’s designed to do a very specific thing and nothing else.

When you imagine all the things a human driver has to do – from paying attention to their surroundings to navigating to actually operating the vehicle itself – it quickly becomes a matter of designing either dozens (or hundreds) of interworking narrow AI systems or figuring out how to create a general AI.

What the future holds

The invention and development of a general AI would likely be a major catalyst for solving driverless cars, but so would three wishes from a genie.

This is because general AI is just another way of saying “an AI capable of performing any relative task a human can.” And, so far, the onset of general AI remains far-future technology.

In the near future we can expect more of the same. Driver-assistance technology continues to develop at a decent pace and tomorrow’s cars will certainly be safer and more advanced than today’s. But there’s little reason to believe they’ll be driving themselves in the wild any time soon.

We’re likely to see specific areas set aside in major cities across the world and entire highways designated for driverless vehicle technologies in the next few years. But that won’t herald the era of driverless cars.

There’s no sign whatsoever (outside of the aforementioned Tesla gambit) that any vehicle manufacturer is approaching even a five year window towards the development of a consumer production vehicle rated to drive fully-autonomously.

And that’s a good indication that we’re at least a decade or more from seeing a consumer production vehicle made available to individual buyers that doesn’t have a steering wheel or means of manual control.

Driverless cars aren’t necessarily impossible. But there’s more to their development than just clever algorithms, brute-force compute, and computer vision.

According to the experts, it’ll take a different type of AI, a different approach all-together, a massive infrastructure endeavor, or all three to move the field forward.

https://thenextweb.com/news/why-trul...y-never-happen

Old 06-08-21, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^^Good article. Tells it like it was (and is). Those who said, years ago, that true driverless vehicles were either a pipe dream or much more difficult to achieve than what the likes of Musk and other so-called "Experts" were telling us are being proved correct. We were accused of "rocking" a boat that, later, started springing some pretty serious leaks on its own.
Old 06-08-21, 10:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

It was always obvious to anyone with even the smallest amount of common sense that self driving cars are a crock of BS, but I'm sure proponents of self driving cars are going to redefine the term. Sometime in the future there are going to be somewhat autonomous vehicles that operate in certain conditions, at certain locations, with a bunch of restrictions and special provisions, but there will never a truly self driving car that can operate 100% autonomously within existing infrastructure.
Old 07-03-21, 09:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Looks like Elon got hit with reality, lol.

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Haha, FSD 9 beta is shipping soon, I swear! Generalized self-driving is a hard problem, as it requires solving a large part of real-world AI. Didn’t expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect. Nothing has more degrees of freedom than reality.
Old 07-04-21, 04:56 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

He came to the same reality about robots.

Old 07-04-21, 10:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I never thought full self driving was possible or was going to happen for a very long time if ever, I did not understand why some seemed so gun ho about it and like it was going to happen soon. Our roads, highways, streets are simply not designed for it nor are these systems able to deal with all the obstacles and issues of everyday driving, snow, heavy rain, unexpected things in the road. The only way it would work is to redesign all of our roads to fully suit the systems, put sensors in them everywhere for the systems to read which would cost trillions and even then these systems would still likely have issues/malfunctions which will likely lead to serious accidents, death. Unless you are fully eliminating all accidents I don't really see the point in spending all that money, so people can bury their noses in their phones and yap on social media even more then they normally do? I think it will mainly be limited for a while to a more smart cruise control on highways, it will brake to avoid hitting cars, maintain a certain distance, follow the lines(hopefully they are clear), use some gps info to also track and the driver will likely still have to steer every once in a while to make sure they are paying attention, not sleeping, etc in case of a emergency. I just would not trust these self driving vehicles, they will screw up just like everything humans make and that is bad news in 4000lb vehicles traveling on highways/roads.
Old 07-04-21, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^^As usual. UDel is right on the money. Despite some progress, trustworthy self-driving vehicles are still pretty much a Pie-in-the-Sky concept, I don't think we will see truly dependable ones in my lifetime.....or, maybe even in the lifetimes of some of you younger members here.
Old 07-04-21, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like Elon got hit with reality, lol.

Elon Musk:
Haha, FSD 9 beta is shipping soon, I swear! Generalized self-driving is a hard problem, as it requires solving a large part of real-world AI. Didn’t expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect. Nothing has more degrees of freedom than reality.
so i'm wondering when the class action suit is coming from those who bought "full self driving" but the promise is NEVER fulfilled or isn't for several more years. Why would people who paid $10k for it and the promises of 'any day now', 'coming this year', etc., all having come and gone. I applaud tesla for being ambitious but there's a point where the promises made for money taken is never fulfilled at which point it's tantamount to fraud.

of course, many tesla enthusiasts are likely to be very forgiving, so maybe that will never happen

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles