Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

very excited about driverless cars! will make long distance driving fun (read, watch a movie, play games, etc.)
Old 10-29-13, 03:02 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure, I can ever relinquish full-control to Auto-pilot. (recently drove the Infiniti Q50, that i was fighting the steering and the car Braked for me if i was too close and Even push the Gas pedal back Stopping me from driving) Not cool.
Old 10-29-13, 03:47 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering I can't even drive 5 minutes around my stupid town from my daughter's gymnastics class back to home without having idiots cut into my inner left turn lane from the middle or outer left turn lanes thus cutting me off and forcing me to slam on my brakes, having idiots blow through stop signs, or fail to look both ways before pulling out from a side street, or running red lights, there's not a doubt in my mind that Google's cars are safer. Yes, ALL of the above happened to me in a quick 5 minute drive coming home from gymnastics last week. It's gymnastics night again tonight, can hardly wait!
Old 10-29-13, 07:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Considering I can't even drive 5 minutes around my stupid town from my daughter's gymnastics class back to home without having idiots cut into my inner left turn lane from the middle or outer left turn lanes thus cutting me off and forcing me to slam on my brakes, having idiots blow through stop signs, or fail to look both ways before pulling out from a side street, or running red lights, there's not a doubt in my mind that Google's cars are safer.
yep, my thoughts exactly!!

Originally Posted by Harbinger
1 word about driverless cars: BOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooring!
yeah because this is soooo exciting.....

Last edited by bagwell; 10-29-13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 10:19 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Let me know when it works in "fly-over" country not on some perfectly manicured road in an environment with almost no weather variability.
Old 10-29-13, 11:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

funny - article says one of the autonomous cars was rear-ended while stopped....by guess who? a regular ole fashioned human driver that wasn't paying attention!
Old 10-29-13, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
Let me know when it works in "fly-over" country not on some perfectly manicured road in an environment with almost no weather variability.
I notice you are from Pennsylvania. PA itself certainly is not noted for well-manicured roads, particularly in the north and west, where the harsh climate tears them up.
Old 10-29-13, 02:47 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

in town and long drives I can see this but i live in the country and the curves and slopes are my favorites.

If all the cars are driverless 95% cars will be soulless economy cars now
Old 10-29-13, 03:04 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

While I appreciate that most people simply use their vehicle to get from point a to point b, typically at the same time as hundreds of thousands of others, there are always exceptions. There will be another "have/have not" class system coming, but not economically based. The "have nots" will either voluntarily adopt driverless cars because it makes day to day commuting more tolerable - or be forced to adopt a driverless vehicle because of their sheer incompetence, or lack of desire to get behind the wheel. The "haves" will always drive themselves, and will always enjoy the entire experience of driving, and will never regret a moment of it. As I mentioned, I do see the practical uses of it, and honestly in those cases I would much rather have an automated vehicle than a human operator. Otherwise, my original comment stands - automated vehicles are boring...just relinquishing yet more control of your daily decisions. Just imagine if only a percentage of that money was put into mandatory driver training programs. I understand though. Most people feel about driving how I feel about baseball.
Old 10-30-13, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

when more and more cars are driverless and prove themselves to be vastly superior and safer to human driven cars, guess what happens to insurance rates.
Old 10-30-13, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

after seeing hundreds of people texting while driving ( and with kids in the car to boot) I would believe the autonomous car would be better for many teens and lame drivers who are literally going down the road staring at their laps.
Old 10-30-13, 06:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
... I would believe the autonomous car would be better for many teens ...
which means they will never learn to drive properly, which is why i believe it will be a GIANT shift toward driverless cars.

and those who still want to pilot their own will pay a huge insurance premium.
Old 10-30-13, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
which means they will never learn to drive properly, which is why i believe it will be a GIANT shift toward driverless cars.

and those who still want to pilot their own will pay a huge insurance premium.
Isn't that an inevitablely sad truth
Old 01-13-14, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Official self driving cars thread

lots going on in this area...

Audi has a nearly production ready book sized brain for self driving cars

Audi claims the computer, called zFAS, represents a significant advance in automation technology because it is compact enough to fit into existing vehicles without compromising design.

Several different Audi vehicles equipped with zFAS drove themselves onto the stage during the presentation, and a new concept car designed to showcase it was also introduced.

The car, called the Audi Sport Quattro Laserlight, is capable of what Ulrich calls “piloted driving” but betrays no outward sign of being different from a conventional vehicle.

“At CES one year ago, the trunk of the demo cars was still full of cables and electronics,” said Audi’s chief technical officer, Ulrich Hackenberg, about the company’s automated driving technology. “The prototype period is almost over. Now it’s time to get ready for serious production.

Long and mid-range radar systems, several video cameras, a laser scanner, and ultrasonic distance sensors on the front and sides of the car are all small enough to be hidden from view.

Hands free: The Audi Sport Quattro Laserlight concept car features compact sensor and computing technology that lets the car pilot itself.

Old 01-13-14, 11:38 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How can you NOT post this. I guess you were waiting for me

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles