Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There have been so many "never gonna happen" predictions throughout history. FSD will be solved and become much better than a human it's inevitable.
Absolutely, they will solve it by Thursday or Friday at the latest.
Old 11-22-21, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just what Och's posted over and over...

Letting a self-driving car do its thing in NYC is dangerous.

https://youtu.be/2PMu7MD9GvI
Old 11-24-21, 11:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

haha, gold

Old 11-27-21, 10:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Great article, and it's just what I've been saying for years. I find it hilarious that many people still believe the whole self driving fantasy. Much like I was always saying, not only full self driving isn't happening, but these half assed driver assist technologies are doing more bad than good.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...odel-y-review/

I can't conclusively say that it's because of the missing radar, but I can say that our Model Y is bad at detecting obstructions ahead. Really, really bad. The big issue is false positives, a problem that has become known as "phantom braking" among Tesla owners. Basically, the car often gets confused and thinks there's an obstacle ahead and engages the automatic emergency braking system. You get an instant, unwanted and often strong application of the brakes. This is not a problem unique to Teslas. I've experienced it on other cars, but very, very rarely. On our Model Y this happens constantly, at least once an hour and sometimes much more often than that. In a single hour of driving I caught five phantom braking incidents on camera, two hard enough to sound the automatic emergency braking chime. This is a massive problem. It happens on both the highway and on secondary roads, any time the cruise control is engaged even without Autosteer. It means the car's cruise control is patently unsafe, which means the entirety of Autopilot is unsafe. And that means the car itself is unsafe.
The phantom braking issue is a complete deal-breaker. Our car, which is running the latest production version of Autopilot, is unsafe whenever cruise control is enabled.
Old 11-27-21, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Great article, and it's just what I've been saying for years. I find it hilarious that many people still believe the whole self driving fantasy. Much like I was always saying, not only full self driving isn't happening, but these half assed driver assist technologies are doing more bad than good.

In general, people believe that stuff because technology has been sold, today, as the answer to everything. The more complexity a system has, and the more electronics it utilizes, the more society seems to worship it.
Old 11-27-21, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, people believe that stuff because technology has been sold, today, as the answer to everything. The more complexity a system has, and the more electronics it utilizes, the more society seems to worship it.
What about accepting the concept that people like advanced features and technology and aren't in fact "duped" as you imply?
Old 11-27-21, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What about accepting the concept that people like advanced features and technology and aren't in fact "duped" as you imply?
I didn't say people didn't like them.....there are some hi-tech safety-features on my GX that I myself like. I simply said that IMO they aren't the answer to everything. Suppose you were to have a rental-vehicle without those features......or were driving someone else's vehicle that wasn't as lavishly equipped as yours, and it didn't cover blind spots, detect pedestrians, or manage the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, etc....? Like it or not, you'd actually have to WATCH the road.
Old 11-27-21, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't say people didn't like them.....there are some hi-tech safety-features on my GX that I myself like. I simply said that IMO they aren't the answer to everything. Suppose you were to have a rental-vehicle without those features......or were driving someone else's vehicle that wasn't as lavishly equipped as yours, and it didn't cover blind spots, detect pedestrians, or manage the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, etc....? Like it or not, you'd actually have to WATCH the road.
I have a car with all of those features, and I still watch the road lol. These things are just safety nets.
Old 11-27-21, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have a car with all of those features, and I still watch the road lol. These things are just safety nets.

So do most of us on Car Chat. We are educated enough to know the dangers.
Old 11-27-21, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So do most of us on Car Chat. We are educated enough to know the dangers.
As are the vast majority of vehicle buyers.
Old 12-20-21, 06:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

"Self driving" cars in a nutshell.

Self-Driving Vehicles-41nfezw.jpg
Old 01-07-22, 08:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tesla raising price of Full Self-Driving option that still doesn't fully self-drive

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ive/ar-AASyhyO
Old 01-08-22, 05:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

jill, would have been helpful to just add the punchline so people don't have to click the link.

fsd went from $10K to $12K in u.s.
Old 01-08-22, 05:33 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Self driving cars won't happen without tort reform.
Old 01-08-22, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i still can't believe many people decided to pay this 10-12k to be a tester

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles