Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
But on the upside, it's being handled via an OTA software update, so it's not a traditional recall that requires any action on the part of the owners.
Can you avoid doing the update?
Old 02-01-22, 02:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

If this is a recall Windows has been recalled thousands of times. I wonder if this will actually cause more accidents people are accustomed to other drivers slightly rolling through stops if you come to a dead stop that may throw off people behind you and cause accidents.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can you avoid doing the update?
No.
Old 02-01-22, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If this is a recall Windows has been recalled thousands of times. I wonder if this will actually cause more accidents people are accustomed to other drivers slightly rolling through stopsif you come to a dead stop that may throw off people behind you and cause accidents.
I'm surprised that, with the speed and red-light-cameras we have, there aren't more cameras that snag people who refuse to come to a stop before turning right on a red. If that isn't bad enough, I've seen cases where they don't even slow down, but whip around right through the turn at speed.

Old 02-01-22, 05:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm surprised that, with the speed and red-light-cameras we have, there aren't more cameras that snag people who refuse to come to a stop before turning right on a red. If that isn't bad enough, I've seen cases where they don't even slow down, but whip around right through the turn at speed.
I don’t think red light cameras are supposed to catch those turning
Old 02-01-22, 05:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t think red light cameras are supposed to catch those turning
There are cameras that do, and that get stop sign rollers, but they are different types of cameras
Old 02-01-22, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There are cameras that do, and that get stop sign rollers, but they are different types of cameras
‘I guess we don’t have them in my area
Old 02-01-22, 05:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

this thread isn't about red light cameras.
Old 02-01-22, 05:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this thread isn't about red light cameras.
Its about self driving vehicles, and they are in the news right now for being recalled because they run stop signs and red lights.
Old 02-01-22, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its about self driving vehicles, and they are in the news right now for being recalled because they run stop signs and red lights.
yes, which is not about red light cameras.
Old 03-27-22, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

amg hot laps with no driver input.
(note this video link will not start from the beginning but you can go back and see all the lead up)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-27-22 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-22, 10:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Deleted…..

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-27-22 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-27-22, 10:06 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

You guys who stand for all this full self driving tech are brave. There is no way in hell I will ever let a car drive itself for me. Too much can go wrong. Too many sensors and cameras needed among other things. Then all that technology has to be maintained. Sensors and camera lenses to be cleaned so they can detect exactly what is going on. Something goes wrong and can affect other aspects of the self driving tech.

Think about the complexity of a car driving itself through a major city or you're on I-5 doing 70 and there's an accident so your car has to suddenly slow down. I can't imagine how anyone would be 100% comfortable with their car automatically driving itself.

Those who think their car will work for them while they're not using it are living in a fantasy world. I've heard of people on the internet saying they will stay at home or go to the beach while they have their car drive people around for some taxi service. Not happening.

I don't want to hear something about people in 1905 not being able to picture motor vehicles in 1980. It was just an evolution of the Model T times 10. A vehicle with a steering wheel, brakes, wipers, seats, etc. The concept is the same but it became more refined as the years went on.

To not have any control over a vehicle when driving is COMPLETELY different. Relying entirely on technology for something potentially dangerous as driving is not a good idea. Those driving aids like lane assist, auto braking, lane centering, etc are bad enough and encourage laziness among drivers.

Then I have to see morons posting youtube videos trying to be cute by sitting in the backseat playing on their phone (presumably tick tock) while their car is driving. It's all too much for me.
Old 03-28-22, 06:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
You guys who stand for all this full self driving tech are brave. There is no way in hell I will ever let a car drive itself for me. Too much can go wrong. Too many sensors and cameras needed among other things. Then all that technology has to be maintained. Sensors and camera lenses to be cleaned so they can detect exactly what is going on. Something goes wrong and can affect other aspects of the self driving tech.

Think about the complexity of a car driving itself through a major city or you're on I-5 doing 70 and there's an accident so your car has to suddenly slow down. I can't imagine how anyone would be 100% comfortable with their car automatically driving itself.

Those who think their car will work for them while they're not using it are living in a fantasy world. I've heard of people on the internet saying they will stay at home or go to the beach while they have their car drive people around for some taxi service. Not happening.

I don't want to hear something about people in 1905 not being able to picture motor vehicles in 1980. It was just an evolution of the Model T times 10. A vehicle with a steering wheel, brakes, wipers, seats, etc. The concept is the same but it became more refined as the years went on.

To not have any control over a vehicle when driving is COMPLETELY different. Relying entirely on technology for something potentially dangerous as driving is not a good idea. Those driving aids like lane assist, auto braking, lane centering, etc are bad enough and encourage laziness among drivers.

Then I have to see morons posting youtube videos trying to be cute by sitting in the backseat playing on their phone (presumably tick tock) while their car is driving. It's all too much for me.
Counterpoint - have you seen the way humans drive?
Old 03-28-22, 07:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There has been zero progress in self driving tech in the last five years - Tesla FSD is still the same garbage that has even regressed without radars, others are either exactly where they were 5 years ago, and many are abandoning ship. At this rate of progress, much like I predicted, this tech will never amount to anything besides irritating driver assist.
Old 03-28-22, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Och you must not be following news on this... Google's Waymo has quietly been making progress...

https://www.reuters.com/technology/a...co-2022-03-22/

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles