Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-22, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Counterpoint - have you seen the way humans drive?
LOL, exactly.

Originally Posted by xjokerz
To not have any control over a vehicle when driving is COMPLETELY different. Relying entirely on technology for something potentially dangerous as driving is not a good idea. Those driving aids like lane assist, auto braking, lane centering, etc are bad enough and encourage laziness among drivers.
Do you fly in planes? Do you realize that passenger aircraft are almost entirely flown by computers today? Do you ride on trains? Same thing.

The bottom line is, technology is pretty damn reliable. Human drivers make a LOT of mistakes. Just last week I was almost T-boned TWICE by drivers running red lights. Twice in one week.

We are way, way away from cars being completely autonomous. But SOME autonomy will make cars safer. In the second of those potential T bone incidents, my car recognized what was happening before I did...and stopped! If I had been in a car without that tech I may very well have been in that collision.

(presumably tick tock)
LOL, how old are you? Aren't you in your 30s? Its "TikTok". You're going to respond and say somehow you don't care blah blah blah, but being ignorant to society and culture doesn't make you superior, it makes you out of touch. TikTok is fun.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-28-22 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-28-22, 10:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LOL, exactly.

Do you fly in planes? Do you realize that passenger aircraft are almost entirely flown by computers today? Do you ride on trains? Same thing.

The bottom line is, technology is pretty damn reliable. Human drivers make a LOT of mistakes. Just last week I was almost T-boned TWICE by drivers running red lights. Twice in one week.

We are way, way away from cars being completely autonomous. But SOME autonomy will make cars safer. In the second of those potential T bone incidents, my car recognized what was happening before I did...and stopped! If I had been in a car without that tech I may very well have been in that collision.

LOL, how old are you? Aren't you in your 30s? Its "TikTok". You're going to respond and say somehow you don't care blah blah blah, but being ignorant to society and culture doesn't make you superior, it makes you out of touch. TikTok is fun.
Whats with people running red lights these days? I almost got T-boned by a maniac running a red...only thing that saved me was the instant torque on my car to scoot out of there. Theoretically, an autonomous car would have seen the car coming at it much quicker than i could and make the adjustments by itself. I have no doubt that we will someday have fully autonomous vehicles in my lifetime.
Old 03-28-22, 10:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats with people running red lights these days? I almost got T-boned by a maniac running a red...only thing that saved me was the instant torque on my car to scoot out of there. Theoretically, an autonomous car would have seen the car coming at it much quicker than i could and make the adjustments by itself. I have no doubt that we will someday have fully autonomous vehicles in my lifetime.
The point of the autonomous car isn't the avoidance of another car running a red light; it's that an autonomous vehicle shouldn't be running a red light. It won't "miss" that the light turned yellow and/or (more importantly) won't try to "beat the light"--therefore, nothing for your car to "avoid".

In this regard, we've all been at a "broken" red light where the cycle won't change. What happens in an autonomous vehicle? Just go down for a nap until the light is fixed and then the car will go?

Last edited by tex2670; 03-28-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-28-22, 11:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The point of the autonomous car isn't the avoidance of another car running a red light; it's that an autonomous vehicle shouldn't be running a red light. It won't "miss" that the light turned yellow and/or (more importantly) won't try to "beat the light"--therefore, nothing for your car to "avoid".

In this regard, we've all been at a "broken" red light where the cycle won't change. What happens in an autonomous vehicle? Just go down for a nap until the light is fixed and then the car will go?
Thats assuming all cars are autonomous and that everyone loses their rights to drive. If all cars obey the rules through autonomous, thats an easy rollout vs. a world where there is a mix of human and robot drivers.
Old 03-28-22, 02:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

this got me wondering if japan's amazing bullet trains are driverless. not yet, but soon!

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tec...oes-driverless

We are way, way away from cars being completely autonomous.
there will be stages. driverless 'uber' like rides in cities will make a lot of sense. the speeds aren't that high and every inch of roadspace can be mapped in detail. in fact that's exactly what waymo's about to begin.

tell the car to turn right and take a detour.

Old 03-28-22, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I know! Its people being distracted, likely looking down at their phone and not seeing the red. The first one stopped about a foot from my door, but the one Friday never even stopped, and he honked at me!

The point of the autonomous car isn't the avoidance of another car running a red light; it's that an autonomous vehicle shouldn't be running a red light. It won't "miss" that the light turned yellow and/or (more importantly) won't try to "beat the light"--therefore, nothing for your car to "avoid".?
Yep, exactly.
Old 03-28-22, 10:19 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL, exactly.

I have never been in a plane and I won't start now. I don't want to wear a mask for 8 hour straight while sitting in between two strangers.

Yeah a plane can be put on autopilot when set up to a destination. I'm sure it can take off itself and guide itself in the sky. That's about it. Anything more than that and the pilot takes over. If you think one day there will be 150 people crammed onto a plane without any pilot to make sure it's doing what it needs to, you're nuts.

Yes, I am 33. I realize you're older than me so I find it odd that you like it. The first thing that comes to mind with tik tok (can throw snap chat in there as well) is 20 year olds doing stupid things and making a 40 second video and people wasting time starring these stupid clips all day. I don't want to be associated with that kind of thing.

Am I supposed to like everything that comes out these days?
Old 03-29-22, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have never been in a plane and I won't start now. I don't want to wear a mask for 8 hour straight while sitting in between two strangers.
I mean...I just don't know what to say. If you want to be proud that you live a life devoid of technology and travel and experiences, good for you. I'll choose to be a part of the modern world, thanks.

If you think one day there will be 150 people crammed onto a plane without any pilot to make sure it's doing what it needs to, you're nuts.
Right now pilots direct the takeoff, and the landing and thats it. Automation actually handles much of even that today. Modern cockpits of the newest planes don't even have traditional controls. There will absolutely be a time within our lifetime where there may be a pilot there to take over in case of an emergency but that the plane 100% flies itself, yes.

Yes, I am 33. I realize you're older than me so I find it odd that you like it. The first thing that comes to mind with tik tok (can throw snap chat in there as well) is 20 year olds doing stupid things and making a 40 second video and people wasting time starring these stupid clips all day. I don't want to be associated with that kind of thing.
I'm only 40 lol. Have you ever even looked at TikTok? Its fun, fun little videos of people doing entertaining things. Whats the big deal?

Am I supposed to like everything that comes out these days?
No, but the fact that you actively hate anything technological or new and refuse to even travel on a plane at the age of 33 is very unusual.

Be open to experiences my friend, you are missing out on so much of life you don't even understand. 33 and you've never been on a plane? Just wow. My kids are 7 and they have been on like 50 flights.

When you open up and let the world in, your view on this kind of stuff will change. Your worldview right now is so incredibly narrow.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-29-22 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 08:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I mean...I just don't know what to say. If you want to be proud that you live a life devoid of technology and travel and experiences, good for you. I'll choose to be a part of the modern world, thanks.

Right now pilots direct the takeoff, and the landing and thats it. Automation actually handles much of even that today. Modern cockpits of the newest planes don't even have traditional controls. There will absolutely be a time within our lifetime where there may be a pilot there to take over in case of an emergency but that the plane 100% flies itself, yes.

I'm only 40 lol. Have you ever even looked at TikTok? Its fun, fun little videos of people doing entertaining things. Whats the big deal?

No, but the fact that you actively hate anything technological or new and refuse to even travel on a plane at the age of 33 is very unusual.

Be open to experiences my friend, you are missing out on so much of life you don't even understand. 33 and you've never been on a plane? Just wow. My kids are 7 and they have been on like 50 flights.

When you open up and let the world in, your view on this kind of stuff will change. Your worldview right now is so incredibly narrow.

You don't need to go on planes now to experience the world. Just go to the metaverse...duh.
Old 03-29-22, 08:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,194 Likes on 887 Posts

I've only been on planes to go to Hawaii, Philippines, and Poland/euro zone and it was from pure necessity. I don't like the concept in the first place but private planes are expensive to charter.....we have done it twice though for the eastern trip though when a lot of us went for the funeral of the former head of family.

As far as self driving cars go the systems don't impress me, they are slower and less effective than I am. Now for a "normal" driver or the normally highly distracted types it's a major improvement since dear god do people not pay attention.

Old 03-29-22, 08:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,194 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You don't need to go on planes now to experience the world. Just go to the metaverse...duh.
VR Chat for the win lol!
Old 03-29-22, 10:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok but what was the source of your aversion to planes prior to 2 years ago?
Old 03-29-22, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But that would be new technology thats evil lol

Originally Posted by Striker223
I've only been on planes to go to Hawaii, Philippines, and Poland/euro zone and it was from pure necessity. I don't like the concept in the first place but private planes are expensive to charter.....we have done it twice though for the eastern trip though when a lot of us went for the funeral of the former head of family.
You don't fly on planes because you enjoy flying on planes lol. The point is where the plane takes you. Traveling and experiencing life in other places enriches you and makes you a better person. Even just within the US, life is so different in different places, experiencing that is such an important part of life it pains me to see someone so isolated mentally that they just have no interest in seeing and experiencing that.

As far as self driving cars go the systems don't impress me, they are slower and less effective than I am. Now for a "normal" driver or the normally highly distracted types it's a major improvement since dear god do people not pay attention.
I will never own another car without these technologies.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-29-22 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-22, 12:38 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Ok but what was the source of your aversion to planes prior to 2 years ago?
Just always busy with work. I don't know. If I wanted to go somewhere I just drove. I'm fine with not flying. Maybe one day that will change. Who knows?
Old 03-29-22, 12:43 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Striker223

I agree. If one pays attention to how many people are playing on their phone while driving, it's crazy. Even in the city, I'll see idiots on their phones. Just yesterday I was pulled up to someone at a light (waiting to turn left) and his light turned green. His head was down for 6 seconds and the person behind him understandably honked. It's getting bad out there. Can't the instagram and snap chat wait until you arrive at your destination?

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles