Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Just always busy with work. I don't know. If I wanted to go somewhere I just drove. I'm fine with not flying. Maybe one day that will change. Who knows?
You are missing out on so much of life. Like I said, its not about the flying itself, its the destination that matters. There is SO much more to the world and life than what is within driving distance of where you live. It makes me very sad that you haven't experienced that.
Old 03-29-22, 01:09 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

That's enough discussion on how people want to travel and live their lives.

Back to self driving cars.
Old 03-30-22, 04:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You are missing out on so much of life. Like I said, its not about the flying itself, its the destination that matters. There is SO much more to the world and life than what is within driving distance of where you live. It makes me very sad that you haven't experienced that.
The 3rd world is a trip for sure, really puts into perspective just how thin the separation from civil to savage is. The stuff that happens over there is not stuff I would be able to post here and I have seen it occur.

A lot of fine culture and experiences and environments can be experienced stateside with much much less risk, Europe is better but stay in the major areas unless you have family out in the countryside. There is also far less there compared to here but there are unique experiences in areas that we obviously don't have, if you are going to just experience food expensive things and what not though everything of that nature is already here and in greater quantity.

Oh and in case it needed to be said bring someone who can speak the language, people overseas in general are much meaner than here but are professional about it. You will love it or you will hate it, I quite like it personally.
Old 03-30-22, 08:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Pppppfffttt you bunch of plebes relying on self driving cars! My car have a chauffeur and its called my right foot!
Old 03-30-22, 09:36 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

With all these self driving vehicles, eventually we'll get a country song about a cowboy whose pickup truck left him.
Old 03-30-22, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

TechCrunch: Waymo opens driverless robotaxi service to San Francisco employees.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/30/wa...sco-employees/

(also in the article, the battle between Google's Waymo and GM's Cruise, and services in Phoenix as well).
Old 03-30-22, 11:17 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
TechCrunch: Waymo opens driverless robotaxi service to San Francisco employees.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/30/wa...sco-employees/

(also in the article, the battle between Google's Waymo and GM's Cruise, and services in Phoenix as well).
So they're trying this full self driving service in one of the trickiest, most densely populated cities in the country?

If they think they are going to get to level 5 (which is FULL self driving, with no one behind the wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong) right now they are crazy.

Also said they did lots of testing in simulations. Well, that is all good and fine but that's not real world testing.
Old 03-30-22, 11:24 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Waymo has crashed a bunch of times but it's not clear (at least to me) the accident rate per miles driven. I keep saying it, people readily accept human drivers getting into accidents there are no calls for people to stop driving but when a robot drives the standard is much much higher.
Old 03-30-22, 11:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

So they're trying this full self driving service in one of the trickiest, most densely populated cities in the country?

If they think they are going to get to level 5 (which is FULL self driving, with no one behind the wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong) right now they are crazy.

Also said they did lots of testing in simulations. Well, that is all good and fine but that's not real world testing.
They already have done level 5 testing in Phoenix. They've been doing it since 2019. You understand that Waymo is Google and probably has the single highest concentration of AI engineers on the planet and unlimited cash resources to do this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/08/here...n-phoenix.html
Old 03-30-22, 12:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by natman
With all these self driving vehicles, eventually we'll get a country song about a cowboy whose pickup truck left him.

/redneck instruments playing
A Mercedes came
And took my 4x4
Heartbroken blah blah

Old 03-30-22, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i'm sure google has no idea of what they're doing, and you know more than them.
Old 05-12-22, 06:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

wonder if this person was using "full self driving"

(20 seconds in)

Old 05-12-22, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah i'm sure google has no idea of what they're doing, and you know more than them.

No offense, bit, but make up your mind here. On one hand, you call out xjokerz for questioning Google's plan to shuffle their San Francisco employees around in self-driving vehicles (which, to an extent, I also question). Then, in the very next post, you show another tragic accident (possibly) involving one of those self-driving vehicles....although, to be honest, that was a Tesla, not a Google vehicle. So, which side are you actually on?

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-12-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-12-22, 08:03 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Look at how well the body structure held up. Incredible.
Old 05-12-22, 08:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

(20 seconds in)

https://youtu.be/H4weWUJqi-U
Nope...it was an older gentlemen who got confused between the accelerator and brake. If he was on autopilot, he wouldn't have had that issue.

https://jalopnik.com/a-tesla-crashed...eed-1848913364

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles