Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 08:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Jules told police he was driving on Ohio Route 315 when he “lost control of his brakes and was unable to stop,”
How do you lose control of brakes? Also in a Tesla if you let off the accelerator regen will slow you down quickly. This is another example of someone getting confused and mashing the go pedal then trying to blame the car.
Old 05-12-22, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is another example of someone getting confused and mashing the go pedal then trying to blame the car.

Yes, that sometimes happens, but I'm not sure I buy it in this case. The obstacle-detection system, if working properly, should have taken over and slammed on the brakes when it detected that wall coming up. The car might have still hit it, but not at that high a speed.
Old 05-12-22, 04:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that sometimes happens, but I'm not sure I buy it in this case. The obstacle-detection system, if working properly, should have taken over and slammed on the brakes when it detected that wall coming up. The car might have still hit it, but not at that high a speed.
Did you read the article. He sped up to beat the red light and he didn't apply brakes when he lost control. Autopilot automatically turns off if you aggressively hit the throttle and sounds like he didn't hit the brakes with the building coming at him fast. Don't blame the car when its clearly 100000% the drivers fault.
Old 05-12-22, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Did you read the article. He sped up to beat the red light and he didn't apply brakes when he lost control. Autopilot automatically turns off if you aggressively hit the throttle and sounds like he didn't hit the brakes with the building coming at him fast. Don't blame the car when its clearly 100000% the drivers fault.
With advanced obstacle-detection systems, a wall coming up should have overruled the command to floor the throttle. You're giving too much credit to systems that either are not perfected or not working properly.

A couple of times, recently, in my Encore GX, the system took over (flashing a large red light on the heads-up display in the process), and hit the brake full-force, at low speed, when I had my foot on the gas and the guy in front of me, maybe 30-40 feet ahead, suddenly stopped unexpectedly. GM simply designed a system that works.
Old 05-12-22, 04:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

With advanced obstacle-detection systems, a wall coming up should have overruled the command to floor the throttle. You're giving too much credit to systems that either are not perfected or not working properly.

A couple of times, recently, in my Encore GX, the system took over (flashing a large red light on the heads-up display in the process), and hit the brake full-force, at low speed, when I had my foot on the gas and the guy in front of me, maybe 30-40 feet ahead, suddenly stopped unexpectedly. GM simply designed a system that works.
I'm not giving credit or blame at all. Autopilot was most likely off and Tesla's system won't brake if it doesn't detect a car braking in front of it. A wall won't activate the automatic braking...it simply wasn't designed that way. Autopilot is just driver's assistance technology and meant for highway cruising only. Again it was 1000000% the person's fault. He was the dumbass that mistook accelerator for braking. Stupid.
Old 05-12-22, 06:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wonder if this person was using "full self driving"

(20 seconds in)

https://youtu.be/H4weWUJqi-U
Autopilot was working… got confused and thought it could fly
Old 05-12-22, 08:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You will never accept this but Tesla's on average are far safer than your car.
Old 05-12-22, 08:20 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

How is that possible? On youtube I've seen videos with idiots sitting in the backseat of those things playing on facebook while the car is driving itself. I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw that in real life.
Old 05-12-22, 08:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
How is that possible? On youtube I've seen videos with idiots sitting in the backseat of those things playing on facebook while the car is driving itself. I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw that in real life.
Because that is how stats work they account for every car and mile driven not cherry picked incidents.
Old 05-12-22, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

No offense, bit, but make up your mind here. On one hand, you call out xjokerz for questioning Google's plan to shuffle their San Francisco employees around in self-driving vehicles (which, to an extent, I also question). Then, in the very next post, you show another tragic accident (possibly) involving one of those self-driving vehicles....although, to be honest, that was a Tesla, not a Google vehicle. So, which side are you actually on?
first off, yes two different companies with two radically different approaches. waymo has always been about self driving in the mold of self driving taxis and has made slow but steady progress. tesla on the other hand has put beta full self driving in the hands of the public to test it.

either way, the 'tragic accident' as you called it made me wonder IF their self driving feature was involved and apparently it was not. has absolutely nothing to do with waymo/google.

Look at how well the body structure held up. Incredible.
LOL way to find a silver lining out of that crash.

Because that is how stats work they account for every car and mile driven not cherry picked incidents.
Old 05-13-22, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Apples and Oranges. There's not enough data to determine that. Teslas have been on the road for years....the Encore GX, which I drive, debuted in the spring of 2020.
Old 05-13-22, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

What is so ridiculous about this is you have RAILED against these technologies as unnecessary and how people should just "drive", yet this accident is the Tesla's fault because it should have overridden his actions and stopped the car. You're the one who needs to make up his mind lol. All of this stuff is terrible until you have it and realize these features and vehicle designs are great, and then "GM designed a system that just works" lol.

The LOUDEST anti crossover voice and one of the loudest anti driver aid voices on CL is driving a crossover with drivers aids and he loves both. Hilarious.

Try running your Encore at a wall under FULL THROTTLE and see if the system stops it (it won't)
Old 05-13-22, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What is so ridiculous about this is you have RAILED against these technologies as unnecessary and how people should just "drive", yet this accident is the Tesla's fault because it should have overridden his actions and stopped the car. You're the one who needs to make up his mind lol. All of this stuff is terrible until you have it and realize these features and vehicle designs are great, and then "GM designed a system that just works" lol.

The LOUDEST anti crossover voice and one of the loudest anti driver aid voices on CL is driving a crossover with drivers aids and he loves both. Hilarious.

Try running your Encore at a wall under FULL THROTTLE and see if the system stops it (it won't)
Wrong on most counts. First, I am not the loudest voice on CL about anything....in fact, on some matters, I am one of the quietest. Second, GM did design a system that works....at least for any normal sane driver. Third, I have never stated that I am completely against driver aids....in fact, some of the earliest driver-aids go back to 1912, with Cadillac's invention of the electric self-starter. Fourth, blame in tis specific accident probably cannot be placed until the investigation is done.
Old 05-13-22, 08:17 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Who on earth has the guts to actually try this?
Old 05-13-22, 08:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Who on earth has the guts to actually try this?
Nobody because its stupid. If anyone full throttles an Encore and aims it at a building with driver aids on, the car will most likely not brake at all before hitting the wall. A Tesla won't magically do the same thing ESPECIALLY when the driver has control of the car. FSD and Autopilot won't aim at a building because it specifically is designed to keep in a lane. We don't need an investigation to tell us that the idiot driver was the dumbass who rammed his Tesla into a building because he was seen accelerating to beat a red light. Soon as you hit that accelerator with any amount of force, the driver aids simply disengage.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles