Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 08:40 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nobody because its stupid. If anyone full throttles an Encore and aims it at a building with driver aids on, the car will most likely not brake at all before hitting the wall. A Tesla won't magically do the same thing ESPECIALLY when the driver has control of the car. FSD and Autopilot won't aim at a building because it specifically is designed to keep in a lane. We don't need an investigation to tell us that the idiot driver was the dumbass who rammed his Tesla into a building because he was seen accelerating to beat a red light. Soon as you hit that accelerator with any amount of force, the driver aids simply disengage.
I guess I should have been more specific. He was hinting that a Tesla can stop right before hitting a wall at full throttle.
Old 05-13-22, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I guess I should have been more specific. He was hinting that a Tesla can stop right before hitting a wall at full throttle.
No. I don't think any driver aid system can do that. A Tesla has very limited set of actions that interrupt the driver. It can emergency brake for you if it detects another car in front has stopped and you will collide with it. It can help you avoid other cars, debris or animals on the road. It won't stop you from pure stupidity like ramming a building. Its a driver aid...not Skynet.
Old 05-13-22, 08:53 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
No. I don't think any driver aid system can do that. A Tesla has very limited set of actions that interrupt the driver. It can emergency brake for you if it detects another car in front has stopped and you will collide with it. It can help you avoid other cars, debris or animals on the road. It won't stop you from pure stupidity like ramming a building. Its a driver aid...not Skynet.
Yeah I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to test that one out. They can test it all they want in labs with a dummy and they could even get it right 100 straight times but a real person? Lol
Old 05-13-22, 09:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Some people may be shocked to learn Tesla is trying to make it so the car recognizes all situations and responds accordingly. Of course the negative nancy's will say Elon is a fraud he hates you and your children wants you dead, FSD is killing whales and birds.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL way to find a silver lining out of that crash.
Any crash you walk away from unharmed is a win. One thing that makes me rage is news outlets constantly report crashes but never tell you how they happened and how we can learn from them and avoid making the same mistakes. Why are we not teaching people to be better drivers? I guess that's why it's necessary to make the car intervene in human stupidity.
Old 05-13-22, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
We don't need an investigation to tell us that the idiot driver was the dumbass who rammed his Tesla into a building because he was seen accelerating to beat a red light. Soon as you hit that accelerator with any amount of force, the driver aids simply disengage.
If that's the way that some semi-self-driving vehicles are designed, then perhaps (?) it's time to reconsider the design, although I'll admit that there are times when you do want a safe burst of speed, like passing on a two-lane road. But, in most cases, when you are doing that, you will have (or should have, if you are doing it properly) a clear stretch of road in front of you.
Old 05-13-22, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Any crash you walk away from unharmed is a win. One thing that makes me rage is news outlets constantly report crashes but never tell you how they happened and how we can learn from them and avoid making the same mistakes. Why are we not teaching people to be better drivers? I guess that's why it's necessary to make the car intervene in human stupidity.
Simple. A lot of people today just don't want to be be better drivers. And this is one of the primary reasons why.

Old 05-13-22, 09:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. A lot of people today just don't want to be be better drivers. And this is one of the primary reasons why.
Tesla insurance incentives drivers to be better so it's not impossible to teach people.
Old 05-13-22, 09:42 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla insurance incentives drivers to be better so it's not impossible to teach people.
They don't want to learn. All that matters to them is playing on their phones while driving. It's insane how many people I see looking down every 3 seconds because they can't wait to send a snapchat picture when they get home in 10 minutes.
Old 05-13-22, 09:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Isn't that the truth MM
Old 05-13-22, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Wrong on most counts. First, I am not the loudest voice on CL about anything....in fact, on some matters, I am one of the quietest. Second, GM did design a system that works....at least for any normal sane driver. Third, I have never stated that I am completely against driver aids....in fact, some of the earliest driver-aids go back to 1912, with Cadillac's invention of the electric self-starter. Fourth, blame in tis specific accident probably cannot be placed until the investigation is done.
You absolutely were the loudest anti-crossover vs sedan voice on CL for a long time...until you got one yourself.

GM's system works no better or worse than anybody elses. The point is, those systems aren't designed to stop a driver from running into something at full throttle. They don't take over driving from the driver.
Old 05-13-22, 12:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You absolutely were the loudest anti-crossover vs sedan voice on CL for a long time...until you got one yourself.

GM's system works no better or worse than anybody elses. The point is, those systems aren't designed to stop a driver from running into something at full throttle. They don't take over driving from the driver.
But they should because its Tesla right. There are thousands of auto accidents each day but every Tesla accident in the US gets reported for some reason. Mindboggling.
Old 05-13-22, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But they should because its Tesla right. There are thousands of auto accidents each day but every Tesla accident in the US gets reported for some reason. Mindboggling.
it truly is amazing
Old 05-13-22, 12:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's stupid to single out Tesla or any other company, and report on crashes caused by stupidity. That being said, it is good to report on accidents that happen when self driving systems are active, maybe someone in the government will start paying attention and get this nonsense banned.
Old 05-13-22, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
It's stupid to single out Tesla or any other company, and report on crashes caused by stupidity. That being said, it is good to report on accidents that happen when self driving systems are active, maybe someone in the government will start paying attention and get this nonsense banned.
No self driving systems contributed to this accident in any way. Had nothing to do with it.
Old 05-13-22, 12:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No self driving systems contributed to this accident in any way. Had nothing to do with it.
I know. This particular crash was probably reported on because it was absolutely crazy, lucky nobody got killed in the building. Crashes like this get reported all the time, not just Tesla.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles