Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That distinction now goes to me. I will be the last hold-out on this planet for a crossover switch. Long live the large, comfortable, quiet, roomy sedan.

Yes, from a consumer-choice point or view, basically I agree with you. I like big sedans myself (particularly the soft-riders). But unfortunately I live in an area that has seen such huge growth over the years, such a vast increase in traffic, and conditions that are now so difficult to park in and maneuver at close quarters now that large vehicles are simply not practical for the type of driving I now mostly do.

BTW, although I can't say I agree with 100% of them, IMO you have made a lot of good posts in your time at CL, and (also IMO), I think some people have tossed barbs at you unfairly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-22 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 04:13 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, from a consumer-choice point or view, basically I agree with you. I like big sedans myself (particularly the soft-riders). But unfortunately I live in an area that has seen such huge growth over the years, such a vast increase in traffic, and conditions that are now so difficult to park in and maneuver at close quarters now that large vehicles are simply not practical for the type of driving I now mostly do.

BTW, although I can't say I agree with 100% of them, IMO you have made a lot of good posts in your time at CL, and (also IMO), I think some people have tossed barbs at you unfairly.
Thanks I appreciate it. I have pretty strong opinions about things and sometimes people won't agree with me, which is fine. I don't mind criticism or anything from others. I'm pretty set in my ways so whatever people wanna say, go for it.
Old 05-13-22, 04:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks I appreciate it. I have pretty strong opinions about things and sometimes people won't agree with me, which is fine. I don't mind criticism or anything from others. I'm pretty set in my ways so whatever people wanna say, go for it.
What will happen when artificial intelligence becomes smart enough, and self driving cars start developing pretty strong opinions about other self driving cars driving around them?
Old 05-13-22, 04:34 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What will happen when artificial intelligence becomes smart enough, and self driving cars start developing pretty strong opinions about other self driving cars driving around them?
Maybe the older LS will be cruising along on a highway when it encounters a big giant lifted 4-door truck that blocks the view in front. Or it'll laugh when it sees a BMW on a tow truck or a Kia on the side of a road because you can see smoke coming out the hood.
Old 05-13-22, 04:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe the older LS will be cruising along on a highway when it encounters a big giant lifted 4-door truck that blocks the view in front. Or it'll laugh when it sees a BMW on a tow truck or a Kia on the side of a road because you can see smoke coming out the hood.
Yeah, those are pretty soft opinions, I was thinking something along the lines of one car cutting another one off and digitally yelling at it "that's what you get for being a f-ng hyundai", lol.

Last edited by Och; 05-13-22 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-14-22, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It is still very easy to drive big cars around our area, I have two big cars and we live in the same place, and I drive and park a lot more than you do. You simply got to a point in your life where a crossover made more sense to you. The area hasn't changed, your needs changed. Thats why consumers have moved to crossovers, for all the reasons that you found one attractive this time. They sit higher up, they are easier to maneuver, you have better sight lines, they are easier to get in and out of, you don't have to be as cognizant of curbs and such.
Old 05-14-22, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

\ GM simply designed a system that works.
My money is on GM making their self driving tech work before Tesla. I think Super Cruise is the leader right now.
Old 05-14-22, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Super Cruise is likely the leader right now, I agree
Old 05-14-22, 08:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it is important to note that you didn't quite trade your Buick LaCrosse for an equivalent type car. You downsized significantly, you went from a V6 to a I3, much smaller model. You in essence (no Buick trim pun) found the alternative to your old Verano. If you purchased a Buick Enclave, that is the alternative to a LaCrosse...you'd still have parking problems..even worse

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-14-22 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 10:21 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Super Cruise is likely the leader right now, I agree
Haven't been paying attention to SC progress how does it do on city streets?
Old 05-15-22, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think it is important to note that you didn't quite trade your Buick LaCrosse for an equivalent type car. You downsized significantly, you went from a V6 to a I3, much smaller model.
I never did like the idea of the turbo-three, but, with actual ownership experience with it, outside of a couple of vibration-issues in start-up and at low speeds, it is just fine for the kind of driving I do. How well it will hold up in the long run, however, remains to be seen.....I'm probably going to keep this vehicle, for several reasons, longer than I did the Lacrosse, although I'm not expecting to get the kind of trouble-free miles from the engine that one would get, say, with a Toyota 4Runner or Land Cruiser.

You in essence (no Buick trim pun) found the alternative to your old Verano.
The Encore GX also has several features the Verano didn't, or didn't offer...available AWD, softer-riding 55-series tires, and, of course far greater versatility. And, hopefully, less oil-consumption.

But I don't regret my Verano ownership for a single minute. Outside of a couple of issues which I listed, it was the first Buick product in 40 years that Would actually spend my money on....partly because it was so much of a rebadged Opel at a time when Opels were known for their quality.

If you purchased a Buick Enclave, that is the alternative to a LaCrosse...you'd still have parking problems..even worse
Yes, the Enclave is comfortable and impressive to drive (and Steve said he liked the one he had as a rental), but it has had some reliability problems, particularly with the 9T65 transmission, and shares the over-bulkiness of the Lacrosse for the type of driving I now mostly do. Other Buicks are generally well above average in reliability (at least according to CR and J.D. Power), but the Enclave drags the nameplate down a little from what it probably could be.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It is still very easy to drive big cars around our area, I have two big cars and we live in the same place, and I drive and park a lot more than you do. You simply got to a point in your life where a crossover made more sense to you. The area hasn't changed, your needs changed. Thats why consumers have moved to crossovers, for all the reasons that you found one attractive this time. They sit higher up, they are easier to maneuver, you have better sight lines, they are easier to get in and out of, you don't have to be as cognizant of curbs and such.

I live in central Fairfax County. Driving and parking conditions here have changed very, very much in the last several decades. I know....I deal with it every day. I would not waste time and wear on my computer keyboard if it were not so.

Having said that, you are partially-correct about my own needs changing. By my needs changed because the driving-environment did....not the other way around. To claim otherwise is to out the cart before the horse.
Old 05-15-22, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My money is on GM making their self driving tech work before Tesla.
Yep, so is mine. I'm quite-impressed with how well the existing driver-aid systems work on the Encore GX, although, of course, it is not a fully-self-driving system.
Old 05-15-22, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I live in central Fairfax County. Driving and parking conditions here have changed very, very much in the last several decades. I know....I deal with it every day. I would not waste time and wear on my computer keyboard if it were not so.

Having said that, you are partially-correct about my own needs changing. By my needs changed because the driving-environment did....not the other way around. To claim otherwise is to out the cart before the horse.
I am in Fairfax county at least once a week, things have not changed in the short term to where buying your Lacrosse made sense when you bought it and then it stopped making sense a couple years later. The driving environment has changed over the last 30-40 years sure, but not in the last 5 or even 10. You changed, not the environment around you. Why can't you just admit that your opinion on these vehicles has evolved with time? All of our opinions evolve over time.

In fact, you have MORE room in Fairfax County than we have here in Montgomery County or in DC, and every car I have bought has been bigger than the one before it...yet easier to drive.
Old 05-15-22, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why can't you just admit that your opinion on these vehicles has evolved with time? All of our opinions evolve over time.
Well, of course my opinion changed...but it changed because of my local needs, not vise-versa. Otherwise, like I said, one is putting the cart before the horse.

You also have had a some variety of vehicles in your own family, at least in recent years.......................Two JGCs, two Pacificas, a Lexus LS460, and now an S560. And, at least from what you told us earlier, you came close to taking home either a Range Rover or Range Rover Sport.

However, I will say this.....I don't blame you for passing up the LS500. I was not terribly impressed with it, either, and felt it a disappointing letdown from the 460.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles