Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Self-Driving Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 07:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Roush Is Helping Build Google's Self-Driving Car

A source tells Jalopnik that Roush Enterprises is the mysterious Detroit-area company building Google's driverless car, adding to their portfolio of performance parts, military vehicles and NASCAR stock cars.

Following up on a tip we received through a burner comment, our source says Roush is in the midst of hiring engineers for the Google project and is making interviewees sign a confidentiality agreement keeping the partnership secret. Our source also says current Roush employees have been making their way back and forth between Mountain View and Michigan as of late.

The relationship is "close," this source says. According to this tipster, Roush builds the vehicles for Google at their Allen Park facility outside Detroit while Google handles the coding that makes the vehicles autonomous. Google doesn't do much with hardware — discounting their only physical forays with Google Glass, Chromebook Pixel and Project Loon — so a solid, experienced hardware-maker was needed as a partner.

So why Roush? Our source didn't say, but as we pointed out — look at their portfolio. Roush makes everything from amusement park-ride parts to aircraft prototypes. We probably should have known something was up between Roush and Google when an ambassador for Google Glass hosted a Roush racing event that was livestreamed via Google+ and YouTube earlier this month.

Still, all of this is based on a single source and we haven't confirmed it yet so it's possible this is incorrect. We've left messages and emails with Roush and Google and will update if/when we hear back.
http://detroit.jalopnik.com/is-roush...car-1582788665

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for Roush writes in a text message, "I'm sorry, but it is our policy to not comment on inquiries of this nature. I suggest you direct any questions to the media group at the company about which you are inquiring." Which isn't a denial.

We also hear from another source on how Google and Roush met. Google initially approached them on their strategies for electric charging station grids and that's how the conversation started.

UPDATE #2: A source at Google sends us this: "These vehicles are a collaboration between the automotive talent of Michigan and the software and sensor expertise of Silicon Valley. The vehicles themselves have been assembled in a facility in Michigan — the self driving high tech parts are being assembled here in California. We are working with a number of top-notch automotive suppliers and technology companies. (We are not naming them at this point.)"

UPDATE #3: Roughly an hour after our report, Crain's Detroit Business reports that not only is Roush involved, but Google has tapped "top players" in automotive safety and technology in Michigan.
Old 05-29-14, 03:50 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wonder when Google does come out with their own car, will they be selling it from the Play Store or go the same route as Tesla?
Old 05-29-14, 09:35 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JessePS
I just wonder when Google does come out with their own car, will they be selling it from the Play Storeor go the same route as Tesla?
Can't tell if sarcasm but hilarious nonethless

Like those rumors of car vending machines
Old 05-29-14, 09:44 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wondering what security measures they (will) have in case of outside hack attempts. Also need to consider possible disruptions from solar flares and the like.

I love the idea though!
Old 05-29-14, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I'm wondering what security measures they (will) have in case of outside hack attempts. Also need to consider possible disruptions from solar flares and the like.

I love the idea though!
Now all I'm picturing is some lady getting into her Google Autonomous Car (let's call it GAC) and all of a sudden the door locks lock and some guy has a remote control and is driving this poor lady around in a parking lot full of cones that make up an AutoX like a RC car
Old 05-29-14, 10:03 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Self-Driving Vehicles-jhwnc.jpg
Old 05-29-14, 12:03 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Roush needs to throw a NASCAR V8 in there, you know, to warrant the rollcage.
Old 05-29-14, 12:12 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
What an ugly looking little POS. No thanks, I'll pass
Absolutely agree! Was wondering what ever happened to the Aztec designers...
Old 05-29-14, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Not really practical to not have a steering wheel even when we have self driving cars. Just like the iRobot movie, there must be a manual override to self driving cars.
uh no. to quote jalopnik site's great quote

The most dangerous thing about autonomous cars isn't snow or rain or Neo hacking the mainframe. It's the meat bag behind the wheel.
http://jalopnik.com/the-real-reason-...-co-1583056841

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-29-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
meh. i'm still waiting for a flying car.

Heck, today, even aircraft practically fly themselves. When I went through flying school in the 1980s and got my Airman (Pilot's) License, you had to learn stick-and-rudder skills. Now, today, pilots are basically just Flight Managers.
Old 05-29-14, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Roush needs to throw a NASCAR V8 in there, you know, to warrant the rollcage.
Speaking of NASCAR, maybe Tony Stewart should be in a self-driving race car like this, so he couldn't keep bumping other cars and spinning them out.
Old 05-30-14, 07:06 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Now all I'm picturing is some lady getting into her Google Autonomous Car (let's call it GAC) and all of a sudden the door locks lock and some guy has a remote control and is driving this poor lady around in a parking lot full of cones that make up an AutoX like a RC car
HA! like those Tony Stewart vids of wreckless (professional) driving
Old 05-30-14, 07:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Honestly, I can't wait for self driving cars. My morning commute is 30 minutes of boring roads. Being able to check the news or get some work done instead of watching the same old tress and buildings go by? Sign me up. Of course, I'd still want some fun car for the weekends, but basically regaining an hour a day (30 min each way) sounds like a good idea to me

Just to add some laughs

Last edited by Allen K; 05-30-14 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 05:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Funny pics Allen K, welcome to reality
Old 08-06-14, 04:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default This Moron Left The Driver’s Seat In A Self-Driving Infiniti Q50 On The Highway

so we just had a post in the new s-class talking about how to trick the active lane assist

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8656748-post368.html

now we have someone who's brave (stupid) enough to go to the next level in the q50

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ideo?fbfanpage

This Moron Left The Driver’s Seat In A Self-Driving Infiniti Q50 On The Highway: Video

In a way, we admire the intestinal fortitude of the German in this video. In the interest of science, or at least YouTube views, he sets an Infiniti Q50S in self-driving mode and lets it cruise down the highway. Then he climbs out of the driver’s seat.

In another way, we think this guy is completely crazy and more than a little dangerous to allow the Active Lane Control in the Infiniti to have complete control over the vehicle, and to take himself out of a position where he would be able to quickly and safely regain control if needed.

On balance, this is an impressive video to watch, as the Infiniti does an admirable job of driving itself along a gently curving, well-marked highway in moderate traffic. But it’s also a great example of what not to do if you should find yourself in possession of a semi-autonomous car, too.

Quick Reply: Self-Driving Vehicles