Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What Happened to all the Turbocharged cars????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 10:28 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happened to all the Turbocharged Supercars????

Ive been noticing something with the revival of the Rx-whatever and the 350z... why are manufacturers veer away from using turbos with monster engins??? Toyota had the TT Supra, the Celica All-Trac, and the MR-2; Nissan had the 300zxtt; and Mazda had the RX-7TT. Majority of those cars (with the exception of the celica) sold Extremely well and still have a HUGE following. So why did they decide to kill those cars and replace them with retardedly slow NA versions??? Now the talk about the new supra is it about having a V8 or V10. whats that all about??? Im pretty sure that if you ask the tuner guys they would of course want the Tubos, but Japan will never have a V8 or V10 Supra. They dont like cars with things larger than a 6. To this day, toyota still puts the 2jz in other cars other than the supra and they sell like crazy. I highly doubt that if the supra does come back and it comes to the US with a V8 or V10, im pretty sure that the rest of the world will get a highly tunable engine with possibly 6 cylinders while we are still striving for the "lets see whats the biggest engine we can fit under the hood."

Just my rant for the evening... Damn that medication makes me loopy...

Last edited by Stage3; 07-21-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 10:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the reason for the dead of the i6 engine (on supra, skyline, etc...) is coz' of even more limiting emiisions laws just passed in japan last yr. that caused the manufacturers to drop al the i6 engine coz' it's just too hard to pass the emission, or so i heard

that's why they have to develop all the v6 engine now. toyota is putting v6 in the new gs300, etc... nissan now has the 3.5v6 in the skyline, etc... i guess it takes some time for them to get used to the v6 and figure out all the weakness before they start to boost it up?
Old 07-22-04, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The reason why all the twin-turbo Japanese supercars died away here in the U.S. market back in the mid-90's..the RX-7, Supra twin-turbo, 3000GT VR-4, 300ZX twin-turbo, etc....is simple. They got too expensive, too complex, too costly to insure, poured out too many emissions, and got to the point where they simply did not sell enough to justify their continued presence in the U.S. market.
Now, having said that, it did not HAVE to be that way. For several years, back in the early 90's, I suggested to auto company reps that they decontent these cars and lower the prices...maybe take out some power accessories that some sports-car-buyers didn't want or need....but it fell on deaf ears. So, one by one, these $45,000 supercars became history. Now, interestingly, 8-10 years later, we see some Japanese sports cars coming back at substantially lower prices ($30-35,000) with almost as much HP and torque in non-turbo versions...the Nissan 350Z, the Honda S2000, etc...
Old 07-22-04, 09:26 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Reason:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=fad
Old 07-22-04, 05:48 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

There are still glimmers of hope out there.

Subaru is the only car manufacturer in the world which offers a turbocharged version of each of its models with a manual transmission.

Nice to seem some still know what hard-core is. The spirit of '80s turbo in Japan LIVES!!!!!
Old 07-22-04, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Uhh, I think we have more than ever.
Scion Tc with dealer installed
Neon SRT-turbo
PT Cruiser Turbo
mazda Mp3 turbo
Mazda miata turbo
Suburu WRX
Mitsu EVO
Hell every Suburu
Forester
Legacy
Audi 1.8 turbo
VW 1.8 jetta and passat turbo
Audi a6 tt turbo
AMG supercharges theirs
E55
S55
CL55
CL65
SL65
S65
Jaguar XKR supercharged
XKR supercharged
**** the Pontiac Grand Prix 240hp S/C
The Buick Regal S/c
Porsche 911 Turbo
V-8 Cayenne Turbo
Saab turbo 9-3
Saab 9-5 turbo
Volvo S40 turbo
Volvo S60R turbo
Volvo S80 turbo

These I thought off the top of my head.

Old 07-22-04, 07:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

SL600, S600, CL600 also twin turbo 5.5 litre V12

SL65, S65, CL65 are actually twin turbo as well (6.0 litre V12)
Old 07-22-04, 09:08 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Im talking super cars people... i dont think a dodge srt4 or audi 1.8t can compare to a supra tt or rx7tt... come on now...
Old 07-22-04, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ummm good point there sick and sexy. but when i see it though, i look at sport cars, cars like the supra, rx7, etc... cars like jag, mb, those are luxury cars, kinda different when it comes to the need of power
Old 07-22-04, 09:52 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Stage3
Im talking super cars people... i dont think a dodge srt4 or audi 1.8t can compare to a supra tt or rx7tt... come on now...
Compared to a Porsche GT3 or an SL65, your archaic 10-yr old supra TT or worse still, the rotary 1.3L RX7 will not look like "super cars" either.

The 1.8 T with a minor APR chip upgrade will push out over 300hp to the wheels. Combine that with a nasty lil hatchback body, and I think you get yourself a very well-qualified "super car".

I also saw reviews on Super Street of a mildly modified SRT-4 capable of pushing over 280hp. Reminiscing the wonderful days of the Supra, I think Dodge has done quite well to follow in its footstep.

And let's not forget those nasty lil buggers, the EVO-8s and the STis, all of which can be had in your country for a good less than $35,000. Heck, even 98 Supras now still fetch a bit more than that and they are over 6 years old!!!!

What it boils down to is a simple matter of economics. The 2JZ and the RB26DETT engines are expensive to produce, blows out nasty emission problems, and requires a lot of gas to fill up and go (trust me, I know, I fill up my Aristo once every 2 days and I barely drive the car...). People nowadays require go-cart, go-fast engines in tiny lil bodies to pass emissions, survive urban-city driving, and high mpg to survive the rising fuel costs.

Sad to say that the Supra and Skylines and RX7 have gone to muscle-car heaven, just like the old GTOs and Mustangs.
Old 07-22-04, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Compared to a Porsche GT3 or an SL65, your archaic 10-yr old supra TT or worse still, the rotary 1.3L RX7 will not look like "super cars" either.
well, GT3 doesn't have FI
Old 07-22-04, 10:51 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by rominl
ummm good point there sick and sexy. but when i see it though, i look at sport cars, cars like the supra, rx7, etc... cars like jag, mb, those are luxury cars, kinda different when it comes to the need of power
We got sedans in that list as fast as the old Japanese super cars. I love the old SUpra/RX-7 etc but technology has mostly caught up.

Old 07-23-04, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
We got sedans in that list as fast as the old Japanese super cars. I love the old SUpra/RX-7 etc but technology has mostly caught up.
yeah i agree. fast doesn't mean anything though, i mean, you don't run the s65 on the track, it will lose to the supra badly. not sure if i am illustrating my point the good way

but definitely i agree that the sport car industry it's not as "active" as before in that sense
Old 07-23-04, 01:11 AM
Ku@
Pole Position

Default maybe it's just a way to save domestic market?

maybe it's the only way to save the domestic market from being
crushed by japanese turbo cars.
Old 07-23-04, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
There are still glimmers of hope out there.

Subaru is the only car manufacturer in the world which offers a turbocharged version of each of its models with a manual transmission.

Nice to seem some still know what hard-core is. The spirit of '80s turbo in Japan LIVES!!!!!
Subaru is exclusive among Japanese manufacturers in doing this, but Volvo and Saab turbocharge all or almost all of their models, too...manual or automatic.

Quick Reply: What Happened to all the Turbocharged cars????