Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hockenheim: Toyota Debuts New Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 06:03 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Hockenheim: Toyota Debuts New Car

This weekend the Hockenheim F1 race will take place in Germany. Practice is tomorrow, qualifying on Saturday, and race on Sunday.

Check SPEED TV's website for coverage information.

Anyway, good news for Toyota fans is that the TF104B will finally see the light of day. Some have refered to this car as "new," some call it a "revision." Regardless, if someone calls a F1 car a "revision" or "significant update" these days, it mean "all new car."

This car was probably built with the help of the documents and engineers Toyota stole from Ferrari a while ago. Also, Toyota's new-spec RVX engine (two races ahead of schedule) will be singing around the track with a 2% increase in power, undoubtedly making it the most powerful engine on the circuit.

Toyota is really playing down this car, saying they don't want to make any predicitions as to performance expectations. Well, we saw what McLaren-Mercedes did when they ditched the previous chassis, which was based on the Mercedes G-Klasse, and built a proper monocoque. They look alive.

Now that Toyota has ditched their Land Cruiser-based chassis, this car should shine too.

I predict Toyota to be regularly taking Top 5 places from now on. They're out of contention (mathematically speaking) for the championship, but they'll will come close.

I really can't wait to see what's going to happen. I'm about to pee my pants. Toyota had better deliver.

Let's go team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-04, 02:25 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I hope they will be able to perform saturday and sunday.
About time for it.
Old 07-23-04, 04:07 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Yeah, they were uber-slow in practice, but they have good reasons for it. Can't wait to see qualifying tomorrow!!
Old 07-23-04, 09:00 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple pics. They don't look much different except for the side-pod and the front wing, but they will be adding a few more aero pieces in the upcoming races. Hopefully it will be enough to make Toyota a consistent mid-field contender.

TF104A

TF104B

TF104A

TF104B

Nice toy car

Last edited by LB Lex; 07-23-04 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-24-04, 06:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Mmm, qualifying.

Toyota has shown their strength by placing 10th and 15th. It's amazing how having a totally new chassis and the most powerful engine will make you incredibly average. Considering Toyota came in 5th and 6th in last year's race, I wish nothing but bad luck for them this time around. A team this lackluster deserves to run itself into the ground. A bunch of trained circus animals could do a better job.

So much hype, so little to show for it. My God, pound-for-pound, Toyota is the worst team in F1 by a long shot. They should be embarassed.

I would like to see them exit F1 as soon as possible. Their 'performance' is ridiculously bad, and the time for making excuses and idle hopes is long over.

I'm not going to post any more F1 updates unless they actually win a podium spot in the race. I'm betting it won't happen.

In short, Toyota F1 can take their expensive new chassis and engine and wind tunnel and race factory and burn in hell for all eternity. Good riddance.
Old 07-25-04, 11:27 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Didn't make too much of a differance with the former chassis, damn.
Old 07-25-04, 11:31 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Richie
Didn't make too much of a differance with the former chassis, damn.
Dude, I don't even wanna talk about it...
Old 07-25-04, 11:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
Dude, I don't even wanna talk about it...
ROFL, on the bright side, it can't get much worse then this.
Old 07-25-04, 11:39 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Richie
ROFL, on the bright side, it can't get much worse then this.
That's true. If they're going to keep doing this poorly, at least they should try to make their engines blow up so the retirements are actually fun to watch...
Old 07-25-04, 03:03 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

That's true. If they're going to keep doing this poorly, at least they should try to make their engines blow up so the retirements are actually fun to watch...
Have the guys call Dale Jr. He'll hook em up on how to make that a reality.

I wonder how much more difficult it is to catch a race-ready F1 car on fire than it was for Dale to blow up his Corvette in practice ...

Last edited by whipimpin; 07-25-04 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Mmm, qualifying.

Toyota has shown their strength by placing 10th and 15th. It's amazing how having a totally new chassis and the most powerful engine will make you incredibly average. Considering Toyota came in 5th and 6th in last year's race, I wish nothing but bad luck for them this time around. A team this lackluster deserves to run itself into the ground. A bunch of trained circus animals could do a better job.

So much hype, so little to show for it. My God, pound-for-pound, Toyota is the worst team in F1 by a long shot. They should be embarassed.

I would like to see them exit F1 as soon as possible. Their 'performance' is ridiculously bad, and the time for making excuses and idle hopes is long over.

I'm not going to post any more F1 updates unless they actually win a podium spot in the race. I'm betting it won't happen.

In short, Toyota F1 can take their expensive new chassis and engine and wind tunnel and race factory and burn in hell for all eternity. Good riddance.
Part of Toyota's problem in racing is that, first, it doesn't have anybody of Michael Shumacher's skill level driving for it, and second, Toyota has essentially split the factory racing budget between the F1 teams and the NASCAR Craftsman series with the Tundra trucks. This has taken funds and factory attention wway from both branches. I agree with you in one area...if it boils down to a choice, I'd like to see Toyota get out of F1 altogether.....F1, in my opinion is boring, does not allow much passing or real competition, and, in my opinion...is not what you would call real racing...it is more of a rally-type motorsport. NOW.....NASCAR superspeedways........THAT is what I call REAL racing....pedal-to-the-metal. THAT is something to watch. So what if it is mostly just left turns? This is what accounts for NASCAR's huge popularity in the U.S.....at the expense of road-course racing.
Old 07-26-04, 07:37 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Toyota has made significant progress with their chassis this year. Unfortunately for them most of the rest of the teams have made a bigger jump. It will be interesting to see if Gascoyne can really turn things around.
Old 07-26-04, 10:35 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally posted by mmarshall
Part of Toyota's problem in racing is that, first, it doesn't have anybody of Michael Shumacher's skill level driving for it, and second, Toyota has essentially split the factory racing budget between the F1 teams and the NASCAR Craftsman series with the Tundra trucks. This has taken funds and factory attention wway from both branches. I agree with you in one area...if it boils down to a choice, I'd like to see Toyota get out of F1 altogether.....F1, in my opinion is boring, does not allow much passing or real competition, and, in my opinion...is not what you would call real racing...it is more of a rally-type motorsport. NOW.....NASCAR superspeedways........THAT is what I call REAL racing....pedal-to-the-metal. THAT is something to watch. So what if it is mostly just left turns? This is what accounts for NASCAR's huge popularity in the U.S.....at the expense of road-course racing.
OK, let's not get into a NASCAR vs. F1 debate, because I would say some very, very nasty things.

Toyota's F1 program is the work of TTE and TMC Japan, America's not involved and I seriously doubt TMC Japan oversees much of the NASCAR program, and I really don't buy this stuff about splitting budgets. Besides, TTE has been, is, and always will be the premiere motorsports armof Toyota. WRC? Le Mans? Ring a bell?

You have to remember NASCAR is the laughing 'stock' of the auto racing world, and only pertains to America. On the other hand, F1 is world-wide, and very prestigious. If Toyota wants to build their brand image up around the world (and they do), they need to concentrate heavily on F1.

I'm just disappointed they're not doing better. You maybe misunderstood my statement about them leaving. I think they should take time off to really get it together, and come back with a bang.

But we'll see...Even though I love Toyota, you'll never see me cheering for one of their NASCAR entrys...

Last edited by SecPole14; 07-26-04 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-26-04, 11:10 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Toyota has made significant progress with their chassis this year. Unfortunately for them most of the rest of the teams have made a bigger jump. It will be interesting to see if Gascoyne can really turn things around.
Seeing his past projects I would expect big things from him.