Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: A luxury Hyandai, would u consider to buy?
Yes, I would actually consider if the price is right and it's a luxury car and not some "value" proposition
21.85%
No, they just now figured out how to make their door locks work on their current lineup
20.17%
Lexus 4 Life
46.22%
I would consider Saab, Volvo or Acura first
11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Hyundai wants a luxury brand; automaker seeks U.S. debut by 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-05, 02:10 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think new luxury brandnames take a long time to build success... in the end it should be good. at entry level i think they would need to offer their cars thousands cheaper than the competition though... the lowest entry level car should have a base in the mid 20's because.. who is going to buy a hyundai luxury car when they can go out and buy an infiniti? not i.
Old 06-27-05, 04:06 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
True, it looks different but it's hardly pretty IMO. It's a good first step nonetheless.
I'm sure the production model will cool off quite a bit (as most designs do due to costs and marketability) ...

I like the general design though - pretty unique exterior as Mike noted.

M.
Old 06-27-05, 04:43 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

i think it looks pretty good... its definitely unique... and looks expensive... it has a bit of a maybach feel to it almost.
Old 06-27-05, 08:38 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

The Equus (the one mmmarshall posted) was a 4.5L V8... FWD!?!?
Old 06-28-05, 03:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The Equus I saw at the DC show...which matches the one in the picture I posted...was RWD.
The one they sell in Korea is also RWD.
Old 07-21-05, 08:08 PM
LexFather

Old 07-21-05, 08:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanx, the pic doesn't tell much LOL . . . but they are testing it already
Old 07-22-05, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I was at a joint Hyundai / Kia dealership a few nights ago with a fellow co-worker of mine getting his new car....and they told us there that the Hyundai Eqqus is indeed coming here....but that Kia would rebadge it and sell it under its own nameplate instead of Hyundai's. However, that is strictly the word of one dealership, and I have no other official source on that.
Old 07-28-05, 07:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was at a joint Hyundai / Kia dealership a few nights ago with a fellow co-worker of mine getting his new car....and they told us there that the Hyundai Eqqus is indeed coming here....but that Kia would rebadge it and sell it under its own nameplate instead of Hyundai's. However, that is strictly the word of one dealership, and I have no other official source on that.
Do you think it has a solid chance of suceeding, sales wise?

Old 07-28-05, 08:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Are they gonna market it under a new brand name, or are they planning to still call it an ultra-lux Hyundai ?
Old 07-28-05, 01:55 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

What? I sincerely doubt that. Even though I respect the improvement in build-quality and materials, Kia/Hyundai dealerships are largely a relic of those companies' recent past.

So I wouldn't lend that dealership's speculation much credence at all.

It doesn't make any sense for Hyundai to pass this car to Kia. Kia hasn't won much praise from the auto industry and most of their line-up is heavily discounted. How much sense would it make to begin building a near-lux brand out of a super-bargain brand?

Hyundai better wait until they have a complete offering in the near-lux segment and release this car under an entirely different marque. Acura could stand some competition.

M.

Last edited by whipimpin; 07-28-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 02:06 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This question wasn't directed at me, but I think I'll answer it.

If Hyundai manages to resurrect the spirit of early 1990 and pull a Toyota/Lexus, that is: build an astoundingly high-quality product marketed under a premium brand with an upscale dealership structure featuring upper-echelon service, then I think this car and a Korean near-lux brand would probably succeed quite well.

Personally I think the prudent thing for Hyundai to do would be to hold the Azera sedan back another year, refine it a bit more, and release that car along with the Equus (or equivalent) sedan under a newly-created near-lux marque. If the cars stood up to the competition and surpassed journalist's expectations along w/ consumers' - I think it'd have a real chance.

M.
Old 07-28-05, 03:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Ha, for some reason, I totally missed this post. . .
I don't believe it either, if their plan is more than just the Equus, maybe they should sell it under a new luxury division . . . marketing it under Kia or even Hyundai isn't going to cut it IMHO.
Old 07-28-05, 09:19 PM
LexFather

Chief Executive Officer Kim Dong Jin says he expects Hyundai Auto Group, which includes Kia Motors Corp., to be ranked among the world's five largest automakers as soon as 2009, passing Volkswagen AG and DaimlerChrysler AG.

``If it took the Japanese 30 years to evolve into globally dominant automakers, the Koreans are trying to do it in half the time,'' Harbour says. ``They can do it, but there will be some ups and downs along the way.''

Some of the bumps were apparent in the first quarter of this year, when Hyundai's pre-tax operating profit fell 30 percent to 322.7 billion won ($313.6 million) as sales slumped 0.6 percent to 6.17 trillion won.

http://hhttp//www.bloomberg.com/apps...fA&refer=japan

Old 07-31-05, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very tough call. The present Kia flagship....the Amati......has done OK but obviously is not in the Camry / Accord / Taurus sales league. I think it will do well with those who want a luxury car at an ordinary-sedan price.
You and Amethy probably have more accurate sales figures than I do.....that seems to be one of your CL specialties.

Quick Reply: Hyundai wants a luxury brand; automaker seeks U.S. debut by 2007