Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: A luxury Hyandai, would u consider to buy?
Yes, I would actually consider if the price is right and it's a luxury car and not some "value" proposition
21.85%
No, they just now figured out how to make their door locks work on their current lineup
20.17%
Lexus 4 Life
46.22%
I would consider Saab, Volvo or Acura first
11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Hyundai wants a luxury brand; automaker seeks U.S. debut by 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 07:28 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default From Edmunds :

By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 08-18-2005

Unless you've visited Korea lately, you've probably never heard of the Hyundai Equus. It's Hyundai's largest, most luxurious sedan, but since its debut in 1999 it's been a domestic market sedan only. That may change in the coming years as the 2008 Hyundai Equus is being designed with U.S. sales in mind.

Our latest spy photos show an Equus sedan that's bigger and more luxurious-looking than the current model. The styling looks as though it will remain on the conservative side, but given that the Equus will likely go up against cars like the Toyota Avalon and Buick Lucerne it shouldn't be a problem. Size shouldn't be an issue either. Our handy spy shooters measured a wheelbase of 116 inches, a full 5 inches longer than the Avalon's 111-inch wheelbase. That should give the Equus plenty of room in back to go along with what looks to be a well-appointed cabin.

The last-generation Equus made the switch to rear-wheel drive and the 2008 model will retain that configuration. Power is expected to come from a 3.8-liter V6 with upwards of 270 horsepower. A five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift capability will handle the shifts.

Look for this sedan to debut in about two years time, most likely with a new name for its new market.

source : Edmunds Inside Line
Old 08-19-05, 11:54 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This test mule appears to have a gigantic wheelbase.

The 2006 Hyundai Sonata spanked the Accord and the Camry in an Edmunds.com comparo, and I see a ton of XG350's and Amanti's on the road.

Hyundai's quality has REALLY improved as of late:

(sorry about the small text)

They used to hang WAY down there, but they're moving on up. It's amazing that you move a manufacturer to the US and quality actually improves

Kia is still way down there though

It doesn't seem like a bad idea, especially now that all manufacturers can take full advantage of the falling Mercedes-Benz quality and soaring pricetags. It'll take a long time for them to get well-established here, but look at Toyotas and Honda's for example, in the 70's and 80's when they first brought them here, they were the worst cars you could own. Now they're 2 of the best manufacturers in the world. Give it time, trial, and error, and we'll see what happens.
Old 08-19-05, 01:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I remember seeing some nice luxury cars when I lived in Seoul in the early 90's that I think could have sold well in the states but I forgot the names of these vehicles. I could see a Hyundai luxury brand doing well in the states if they price the cars right so that they look like very good bargains. With Japanese luxury cars getting pretty pricey and closer to their expensive European competition in the U.S. like the new RL $49,900, GS430 loaded in the upper 50-60's, M45 loaded in high 50 to low 60, SC430 in the 60's, LS in the 60's to 70's I think there is a market for more affordable reliable luxury cars that can compete with these cars. A Hyundai LS, S class competitor priced around 48-55K that is just as good would be welcome. A Hyundai RL, GS, M competitor priced in the mid 30's would be attractive. A entry level model that competes with the TL, ES, G35, 3 series, fully loaded around 26-28 would look attractive. A sexy v-8 coupe around 38-40K would create buzz too. People do want nice luxury cars with powerful engines like the RL, GS, M but many cannot afford to buy these cars new due to their high prices and high insurance. I don't think people will be spending large sums of money on a unestablished luxury brand from Hyundai so I think they will need to be priced well below the competition for awhile until they build a name for themselves. The more choice and competition the better in my opinion and I would certainly take a look at a Hyundai luxury brand.
Old 08-19-05, 01:28 PM
MSM_IS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always known them as "cheap hondas". I think its a bad idea. The tribune does look good though. I will give them that.
Old 08-19-05, 01:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I work near Hyundai North America's Headquarters in Fountain Valley, CA. I have seen alot of Hyundai's new Avalon fighter the Azera running around the area:

Old 08-19-05, 08:11 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

That would be a really big mistake seeing as hyundai hasn't establish its brand that long in USA, and i for one i would be questioning the exterior designs, because hyundais are known to mimic alot of other brand designs.
Old 08-20-05, 12:49 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
i would be questioning the exterior designs, because hyundais are known to mimic alot of other brand designs.
The new Sonata has "Honda Accord" written all over it. (Including the Euro Accord)

Last edited by TheRupp; 08-20-05 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-20-05, 05:26 AM
LexFather

At this market, who cares about exterior design. Bland and copiers sell well. Its rare to see a ground breaking design in the class.

Hyundai is on a roll, and some other car makers, if not ALL need to watch out.

It used to be you buy a Korean car b/c is costs less AND you get less. The latter part is no longer true!!

Old 08-20-05, 09:45 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

If general rule of thumb for automakers applies, then the luxury brand's quality should be above the base brand.

I'm still amazed that Hyundai's quality is ABOVE Nissan at this point
Old 08-21-05, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp

I'm still amazed that Hyundai's quality is ABOVE Nissan at this point
Keep your fingers crossed, though.
It is true that the Sonata has gone from being one of the worst cars on the marketplace, quality and reliability-wise, in the early-mid 1990's, to today being one of the best. Consumer Reports has verified that several times recently.
BUT...that new-found quality was achieved in Korean plants, with Korean workers, on a vehicle with a proven design. This fall Hyundai will shift the new 2006 Sonata production to an all-new plant in Alabama. So....we are dealing here with THREE all-new entities....a totally redesigned new vehicle, a brand-new factory, and brand-new workers for the first time. Any one of the three....or all three of them.....could (and likely will) have teething problems. So....I'm not saying there WILL be problems with the new Sonata, but there certainly is a significant chance for them.
And.....recent experience with Nissan (Canton, MS) , BMW (Spartanburg, SC), and Mercedes (Tuscaloosa, AL) with new plants in the American South......for whatever reasons...... has not been good. Conversely, other plants in the American South......like the Saturn plant at Spring Hill, TN, the Nissan plant at Smyrna, TN, and the Toyota plant at Georgetown, KY, has been excellent. So only time will tell if Hyundai can produce the new 2006 Sonata as well in AL as it produced the 2005 one in Korea.

I've seen a few samples of the new Sonata ( I was at a local Hyundai dealership a few weeks ago to help my co-worker get a new Accent ) and the fit-and-finish at first glance looked OK....but I was pre-occupied, obviously, with other things and did not have time for a test-drive or thorough inspection. As this car is sure to generate a lot of interest for a mid-size family sedan, I do plan, however, to look at it throughly and drive it. I'll post my findings when I do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 10:50 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

I had no idea that most Nissans were made in the US
Old 08-22-05, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I had no idea that most Nissans were made in the US
Many....not all....are. Nissan has plants at Smyrna, TN and Canton, MS.
Old 08-22-05, 08:24 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many....not all....are. Nissan has plants at Smyrna, TN and Canton, MS.
I know the Altima is made here, and so is the Maxima, but the Sentra is Made in Mexico... what else?
Old 09-19-05, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I know the Altima is made here, and so is the Maxima, but the Sentra is Made in Mexico... what else?
Several Nissan trucks and SUV's are built at the Canton, MS plant. That plant had significant teething problems but is now showing signs of improvement.
Old 12-29-05, 07:43 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I think that Hyundai should start their luxury brand with two cars:

Entry car:

FWD
270 hp, 3.8L V6 engine
Competition: ES350, TL, Zephyr
(A gussied up Azera)

Mid-level car:

RWD/AWD
290 hp, 3.8L V6 engine
340 hp, 4.6L V8 engine
Competition: RL, GS, M, E, 5, A6
(I think this is what the BH is?)

Then a couple years later add the following.

Mid-level SUV:

FWD/AWD
270 hp, 3.8L V6 engine
Competition: RX350, MDX
(A gussied up Santa Fe)

Mid-level crossover:

RWD/AWD
290 hp, 3.8L V6 engine
340 hp, 4.6L V8 engine
Competition: FX, upcoming JX350/460, upcoming X6
(Base it off of this: )http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/19/h...ls-v8-powered/

Then finally add a premium V8 RWD sedan to up against the LS. This is by far the toughest segment. Infiniti has tried for 16 years and failed, and Acura hasn't even tried.

Last edited by jrock65; 12-29-05 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai wants a luxury brand; automaker seeks U.S. debut by 2007