Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo S80 T6 VS. GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 03:38 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S 80 Volvo vs. GS 300

Magneto

Great post and thanks. I'm waiting to hear back from the Volvo dealer because he's looking for a car with the navigation system in it. On Cars Direct I saw a $6000 discount on a S 80. Not only did they offer 8-10 thou off the S80, they offered to send my to Europe to pick it up (some program Volvo offers). Certainly I too will wait for the New '05 Lexus if the '04's are not discounted to a greater degree. There are lots around here and they are only going for maybe $500 under invoice. Not a good deal in my mind. I like Volvo and their deal may be too good to pass up. I left my # with various Lexus dealers and I'll give it 1 month before making my choice in hopes that I can get the car for about $38,000. What do you think are my chances? Thanks again.
Old 07-27-04, 03:42 PM
blk on blk
Lead Lap

Default Re: GET THE GS300

Originally posted by magneto112
As some do know, I am an employee for Volvo. Well, first of all, I have no clue how that Volvo Dealership is selling an S80 T6 for under 10 grand the MSRP. Maybe the car was a demo, what year is it? (Personally I think there is something wrong with that car)It could be a 2003 model year. But with my dealership, a great majority of the T6 models are ordered. So maybe this is an unfortunate one that was sitting around for a very long time. 37 grand is the price for a base line S80 or S60 R. But your also in Cally, over here in Jersey, demand for Volvo's are pretty high, which lead to little if any discounts.

AS far as it being front wheel drive, this is the only car with this much power to the front wheels I wouldnt mind driving. Why? Its Traction Control Systems and ALL that other crap works wonderfully, not to mention, this thing is turbo charged, so there is lag, very little but its there. Good if your worried about traction, bad if your worried about immediate get up and go. As an owner of a Maxima, that car has too much power to the front wheels and needs an AWD system immediately.

Volvo's are pretty reliable, but the earlier year S80 T6 where so horrible reliability wise, always needed a new transmission and turbos would go(Too much torque). But the newer models are almost problem free compared to older models.

Personally I recommend the GS300. Its holds a lot more value(Honestly the S80 T6 isnt that bad either but not lexus like), looks better, rear wheel drive, and it feels a lot more solid. To me Volvo is for people who dont know what real luxury is.(A great majority of Volvo owners are very loyal and will never drive anything else.) Yes it has all the same features, but I dont look at it as being luxurious at all. Just very safe, Avalon top of the line Camry type cars, with power that many sleep on. Lexus on the other hand, is Lexus. The best LUXURY cars out right now. If you are worried about traction, get the S80 AWD. It has a smaller engine and turbo but still decent. I would say GS300 type acceleration. 208 hp/236 lb-tq, or somethin very close to that. ( The T6 is way faster than a GS300.)

Volvo service sucks, they dont fix problems they patch it up, none of that cushy lovely Lexus stuff, and 2005 Volvo S80 will NOT have a totally new design. It was just redesigned last year with the blue guages, chrome work, and LED tails amoung other things. The Volvo that is mildly redesigned for 2005 is the S60 with some interesting safety features, very interesting. More on that at a later time. Or you can wait it out for the new GS. Thats what I'm doing.
Means a lot coming from Volvo themselves! Just out of curiousity...what is it that you do for Volvo?
Old 07-27-04, 03:44 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Default S 80 vs GS 300

This just in from Volvo. Sticker on S80 T 6+$46,810. My price= $36,610. I'm finding that very tough to turn down.
Old 07-27-04, 04:47 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I visited Infiniti dealer before I bought the GS. They offered 9000 off a brand new Q45 with touring package (I testdrove it, the adjustable suspension was pretty nice) and the VIP look is great. 9000 off brand new Q45 was also hard to turn down (went into GS300 price territory) but in the end I still went with the GS and couldn't be happier.

can't go wrong with Lexus
Old 07-27-04, 09:23 PM
ikankoi
Driver

Lex vs Volvo? hmmm...lemme share my experience... couple days ago we had our department lunch and this one guy just bought a new S80 and kinda bragging bout it...so the chat was about cars and we started to ask each other what car do you drive... i was kinda hesitate to answer such question (most of the ppl are seniors there) so i told then im just driving an "old Lexus" (98 GS300 it is ) and ppl was like "whaaaa.. you drive a lexus???" thats includes the guy with new S80... i guess the brand recognition is very strong on Lexus huh... its kinda priceless you know
Old 07-28-04, 01:06 AM
KRGS4
Driver

Default Get the GS

"I'm a scientist, I live a BORRRING life...I drive Volvo...it's a beige one." -Nick Cage

from the movie The Rock.
Old 07-28-04, 04:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you really want the Volvo, please take the Overseas Delievery Package. I hear that more and more people are doing the Overseas Package, (more than any other car company)and really enjoying it. They put you up in a hotel, you get to take delievery of the car, I beleive tour the factory, and you get to drive the car around the country. They set you up with insurance for the time being, and register it also. You get some volvo stuff (shirts, etc) and European plates.

I still cant beleive that they are letting the car go for that much. Yeah I understand that it is a tough deal to turn down, but think about the higher possibility you might have of taking the car back for problems, or the money you will spend when its out of warranty. Also the fact that the resale value is obviously lower. The Lexus I also think is something that I couldnt turn down. I mean its a GS. It has the big L on the grill. My 95 ES300 (which I'm trying to sell) still gets many looks. Its like pulling up to a country club in a cavalier vs. a bentley. Your gonna get those I'm better than you stares or what the hell is he doing here stares. But thats all about attention. The fact is the Lexus is just an all around better car. I think ikankoi and KRGS4 said it best.

I messed around in sales for a bit, its definately not for everyone. Think about it. You have to please the customer, please yourself, and the boss at the same time, i rather work in another department. I now work in serivce, which isnt much better, cause you have to deal with everyones problems. They all think since they spent 30-50K on a car, there car should never break. Well thats just not true for Volvos. There not great but there also not bad. Basically Im that person the writes up your R.O. and tells you what they did to your car, if they did anything at all. When I first started working there, I used to pick up the cars from other dealerships and bring it back. Basically I got to drive brand new cars all damn day. It was plenty of fun, I still get to do that every once in awhile. Its like test driving cars all damn day. ( Thats why I know how the car operates, new and old)

The intersting safety features the 2005 S60 will have is something called BLIS. Blindspot Information System. There is a little digital camera on the rearview mirrors that take pictures every, i think second or two, (I might be wrong). So itll save a lot of accidents or potential accidents. The following year they are coming out with a system that works like Infinitis system to compliment the BLIS. Other new features are side mirrors that spread water evenly across it, so you can see clearly through the water. (Hopefully works as good as it sounds). And a feature that the Lexus already had, water repellant windows.
Old 07-28-04, 05:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think this thread might better fit in the car chat now
Old 07-28-04, 06:42 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Default LEXUS VS vOLVO

Forgeddaboudit, I just spent my entire day at the dealership and bought the GS 300.
After test driving both both and looking at both I realized it wasn't even close. The Volvo would have been about $2000 cheaper, but how do you beat Lexus? My wife still loves me and she'll love me more (if possible) after she drives it around for a while. She's been with a Volvo for 18 years.
Old 07-29-04, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs down No...not quite.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HKGS300

[B]or performance, note that the Volvo is front wheel drive versus RWD for the GS300. If it rains or is slippery, the Volvo will be very difficult to handle. It has - in fact - too much power for a front wheel drive car.
Expect a lot of wheel spin.

Close, HK...but no cigar. Yes, the S80 does have a lot of power ( maybe too much) as far as potential front-drive torque steer is concerned.....but for lousy weather or slippery roads, the Volvo's FWD is far more desirable than the GS300's RWD. The weight of the engine and transmission over the front drive wheels, in most cases, gives better traction than even RWD with traction control, ABS, and stability systems.....providing, of course, you keep your speed down and don't try anything stupid.
Old 07-29-04, 10:53 AM
ias
Pole Position

oversea's thing sounds neat. glad you bought a lex.
Old 07-29-04, 11:39 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: LEXUS VS vOLVO

Originally posted by boneweavr
Forgeddaboudit, I just spent my entire day at the dealership and bought the GS 300.
Congratulations and welcome to the Lexus family!!
Old 07-29-04, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Thumbs up

Congragulations. Even though the 300 doesn't quite have the 400's power, you won't be sorry you have that engine...it is reliable and smooth as butter. ( I have an IS300 with the same engine).
Just don't expect an awful lot of traction in snow....even with all-season rubber.and traction control.
You may already know the standard break-in rules for a new car but if not...here they are again.

For the first 1000 miles...........

RPM kept under 4000.
No jackrabbit starts.
No panic stops or hard braking except in an emergency.
Vary the engine speed....avoid long stretches at the same RPM.
Change the oil and filter at 1000-1500 miles to get the shavings and impurities out.
( You won't find this last one in the book but it is a good idea)

Good luck !
Old 07-29-04, 02:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

THANK GOD. Good choice. You wont regret it. The difference is like night and day.
Old 07-29-04, 04:32 PM
boneweavr
Driver School Candidate

Default Where's my wife?

Magneto112,

I haven't seen my wife since she picked up her new GS 300. She refuses to come home to cook my diner because she loves the ride in her new car and her CD (classical music) is still in progress. When can I expect her? She said she has a big smile on her face and wants to come pick me up and take a long drive somewhere for diner. Darn, I'm hungry now. I hate Lexus (kidding) for ruining my life!

Quick Reply: Volvo S80 T6 VS. GS 300