Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hi-speed chase +mustang+incredible driver=cool vid

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04 | 10:32 AM
Neo
The One

That was some nice driving but you knew he was not getting away. The cruisers caught up easily each time to bump him. It was only a matter of time.
Old 07-02-04 | 10:37 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

The driver was a 11 year old boy.
Old 07-02-04 | 11:43 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Damn, nice driving though.

Do you think it took enough cops to get the kid out of the car???? LOL!
Old 07-02-04 | 12:15 PM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

lol. everytime the cops are like flies swamping down on a piece of meat.

nice driving. i think there's some training done by cia or ss.
Old 07-02-04 | 04:11 PM
AristoTDOT
Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun
The driver was a 11 year old boy.
How do u know that?

Last edited by AristoTDOT; 07-02-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-02-04 | 05:32 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Damn, imagine what that kid could have done if he'd stolen a Vette... I'd pay to watch that!!

Contrary to popular belief, it isn't impossible to escape the cops. You only see the botched getaways because that's all they would ever show you. Imagine if the news played the successful high-speed getaways every night... then cops would really have to work for their paychecks!
Old 07-02-04 | 06:19 PM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lex400sc
Damn, imagine what that kid could have done if he'd stolen a Vette... I'd pay to watch that!!

Contrary to popular belief, it isn't impossible to escape the cops. You only see the botched getaways because that's all they would ever show you. Imagine if the news played the successful high-speed getaways every night... then cops would really have to work for their paychecks!
Do I detect the birth of a new reality series "NEED FOR REAL SPEED"
Old 07-02-04 | 06:52 PM
JFlo
Lead Lap

I agree with everyone .... that was awesome driving!!! I do disagree with you on the "needed a faster car" idea. I think that this kid wanted to give the cops a big OWNED. It almost looks as if the kid is letting the cops swipe his rear bumper. Whatever the situation .... he had the biggest laugh.
Old 07-07-04 | 01:18 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
The cops in those pursuing Crown Vics must have been alone.....otherwise the obvious thing to do would have been for somebody to shoot out his tires.

Another interesting question this video doesn't cover is WHY did he steal the car?
This isn't a movie where you can shoot out tires on an open freeway.
In a high-speed police pursuit it is highly unlikely and extremely rare that you will see/hear of a police officer discharging his gun/shotgun at an automobile as they are traveling 100+ mph down the freeway, most jurisdictions in the U.S. don't even allow such weapon discharging as policy unless the assailant was using deadly force against the officer like firing at him. They would use stop sticks & the pit maneuver first as a safe alternative to bring the car to a holt before allowing an officer to take target practice on an open freeway because of the collateral damage that might happen such as a stray bullet quite possibly injuring/killing someone.

The rare times you might hear about a tactic like that being used is on a Tractor-Trailer for example when the pit maneuver wouldn't work and stop sticks are out of the question for one reason or another and they fear an immediate danger ahead.
Old 07-07-04 | 04:19 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I rode in a police car when it had to accelerate real fast off the shoulder to blend into traffic at good speed. As he pushed the pedal all the way I started laughing that his car was slower then my mom's civic. He got so pissed.
Old 07-07-04 | 04:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SharpLS-96
This isn't a movie where you can shoot out tires on an open freeway.
In a high-speed police pursuit it is highly unlikely and extremely rare that you will see/hear of a police officer discharging his gun/shotgun at an automobile as they are traveling 100+ mph down the freeway, most jurisdictions in the U.S. don't even allow such weapon discharging as policy unless the assailant was using deadly force against the officer like firing at him. They would use stop sticks & the pit maneuver first as a safe alternative to bring the car to a holt before allowing an officer to take target practice on an open freeway because of the collateral damage that might happen such as a stray bullet quite possibly injuring/killing someone.

The rare times you might hear about a tactic like that being used is on a Tractor-Trailer for example when the pit maneuver wouldn't work and stop sticks are out of the question for one reason or another and they fear an immediate danger ahead.
Though I often agree with your views, I gotta disagree with you on this one, Sharp. Shooting out tires is more common than you think...it is not just Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman TV-cop stuff.
Granted, it doesn't happen every day, but when you have a determined guy in a powerful car who knows how to outrun cops, there sometimes aren't any other alternatives. A couple of stray bullets that may not hit their target and go bouncing around are a LOT less dangerous than a runaway 3500 lb. car.
Old 07-07-04 | 10:35 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

One night in IA just north of Des Moines we were crusing about 90mph in my buddys car and a Camaro SS or Z28 flew by us (easly doing 120 prolly more) then about 20 seconds later two IHP crown vics did and another IHP Explorer. I figure since it never made the news that ......they didn't catch him. In IA its much easier to get away than out west. Expecially in a car that will do 150+mph

My buddy has owned two Crown Vic P.I.s, the are completely stock minus a aluminum drive shaft, suspension for running stuff over (which is fun), 3.55 rear end gear and a raised governor that they can only hit going down hill at ~140mph. Both of his would typically hit 130-132mph on flat land with no light bars. I have hear with light bars they have a real hard time get much over 125mph. They also have oil coolers and tranny coolers. My old probe gt barely modded would smoke it at pretty much any speed. Some of this varies year to year but generally the same. This is probably bad i know all of this but...eh.

And if that was a 11 year old driving, WOW, someone needs to hook this kid up with a chance to get in a real car on a circuit!
Old 07-07-04 | 12:11 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
Though I often agree with your views, I gotta disagree with you on this one, Sharp. Shooting out tires is more common than you think...it is not just Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman TV-cop stuff.
Granted, it doesn't happen every day, but when you have a determined guy in a powerful car who knows how to outrun cops, there sometimes aren't any other alternatives. A couple of stray bullets that may not hit their target and go bouncing around are a LOT less dangerous than a runaway 3500 lb. car.

They would usually back off and discontinue the chase before coming to that point where they have to open fire hoping he would slow down while air patrol tracks him from one jurisdiction/state to another (with permission) until eventually he runs out of gas or stops.
Old 07-07-04 | 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

that's some insane driving skills! that's freeway, high speed, and he could take control of the car completely, big props!

and nah, i don't think those cop cars have blowers at all, those are slow *** cars, they only got a heavy duty tranny and also heavy duty suspension. from a dead stop i don't think they can win most of us with v8 power honestly. if anything it's their high speed persuit training that gives them some advatage on persuits.

now the camero is another story, those cars are just purely freaking fast at all speed. but then sadly enough, that car can't turn
Old 07-07-04 | 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

oh and i agree with lex400sc, outcome cops aren't impossible, but of course i am NOT encouraging that. it happens though, i know some cases myself. it's not about speed, it's about how smart you are and what you do in the first few minutes of the chase. ok, won't go into details

Quick Reply: Hi-speed chase +mustang+incredible driver=cool vid