Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04 | 07:27 AM
AristoTDOT
Driver

MMMMMmmmmmMMMMmmmm......AWD!!!
Old 07-30-04 | 07:40 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally posted by jhenty
Does anyone know if Audi's reliability is as bad as VWs? These german car makers need to wake up. I feel like I'd buy an american car for reliability over them at this point. They may not have the same fit and finish. But the engines seem to be holding together pretty well these days. Of this group of cars, my choice would be the lexus, easily.

Almost every car manufacturer has mastered engine technology at this point, and with basic maintainance, they are unlikely to fail. On the otherhand, transmissions still have a ways to go in some cars, they are far more complicated and actually take more abuse in every day driving. That and electrical systems. I believe lexus makes the most reliable engines and transmissions as well as electrical systems without question.

I don't think ive ever seen an Audi A8 before... Ive seen it in the magazines and been rather impressed, at least by the twin turbo version.
Old 07-30-04 | 08:47 AM
nosoup4u
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 finishes second in MT test

The latest Motor Trend contains a road test of five large luxo sedans. A BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW and Lexus. The Audi won with the LS 430 finishing second. They loved the car with their only real complaint being that the handling wasn't sporty enough for some of them and that the systems tended to take control too soon when driven hard. Some thought the styling was stodgy but beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?
I found it interesting that it placed second and that it was at least 10k cheaper than every other model tested.

Last edited by nosoup4u; 07-30-04 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-30-04 | 09:20 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Default C&d test 12/03 of the same cars

Car & Driver ran a comparo test of the same cars in the December '03 issue and this is how the cars were rated:

1. LS430
2. XJ8
3. 745i
4. A8L
5. VW Phaeton
6. S 430

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 07-30-04 | 10:49 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for letting us know, though I'd be very grateful if someone could post the comparo article here.

But wait!! I just looked at my calendar and it says today's July...
Am I living in a different dimension from yours, JLSC4?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-30-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-30-04 | 12:10 PM
praetorian180
Driver

Thumbs up

My father has an ls430 that he leases and it was up a few months ago. He was trying to decide whether to get the new ls430 or an A8. So we went over to rusnak. Anyone who has gone to rusnak knows whats up with their salesmen. Luckily our guy wasn't that arrogant. He made a weak toyota joke when he heard that my dad and i both drive lexuses but he more than made up for it when he let me drive the a8 after my dad. All I can say is that it is amazing. The ls430 is smooth but the handling on the a8 was amazing. I tried convincing my dad to get the a8 but in the end Lexus won. He now has a black ls430. He couldn't have gone wrong with either.
Old 07-30-04 | 12:23 PM
marinakorp
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RA40
The A8 to me it isn't a "production" car. It is a speciality built car delivered to journalists for testing and then it is put on the trailer to be rebuilt for the next press meet. I've seen 2 in the last 3 years...the odds are better that I'll spot a UFO, Elvis or Bruce Lee.

In my view, that makes the LS430 tops.
Seen quite a few A8l around my way... and I have seen a few S8's... to boot!
Old 07-30-04 | 12:40 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Good job Lexus! Even though it's second place it's good enough. It beat out the BMW 745i and Benz S430 . The Audi A8L, it is very common to see on in the Long Island suburbs it is a really beautiful car aswell as the LS 430. But for me the LS 430 should have won... If you overlook the handling it is the winner.
Old 07-30-04 | 12:51 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

The A8 is so beautiful inside and outside. I sat in one at the DC car show earlier this year and loved it. Too bad it's not as reliable as the Lexus.
Old 07-30-04 | 01:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by XeroK00L
Thanks for letting us know, though I'd be very grateful if someone could post the comparo article here.

But wait!! I just looked at my calendar and it says today's July...
Am I living in a different dimension from yours, JLSC4?
Well, it's just about August and magazines come out a month before its dated month.
I got the issue yesterday in the mail as I have a subscription. Don't know if it's on newstands yet.
Old 07-30-04 | 02:08 PM
LexFather

Well between the 2 mags, the LS finishing 1st and 2nd is more convincing than the A8 finishing 1st and what 4th.
I also think the A8 is simply wonderful inside and out. hell, I liked the old one. The LS is simply one of the finest cars built EVER in history.

Kudos to the A8 for getting some hard earned recognition.
Old 07-30-04 | 02:09 PM
LexFather

Notice no Infiniti Q45 or Acura RL even tested in EITHER. They suck that bad.
Old 07-30-04 | 02:18 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Notice no Infiniti Q45 or Acura RL even tested in EITHER. They suck that bad.
Ya, of course the cars tested are way out of the RL's league and to a lesser extent the Q45. If Infiniti and Acura ever want to compete in this catagory, they will need completely new models (new names).

What sells worse: the Q45 or the A8 L? You never see any of these never mind the Phaeton.

Lexus, MB, and BMW are the only healthy sellers in this class. They own the market!
And I'm happy to say that Lexus now outshines the S class and 7 series sales.

Old 07-30-04 | 02:34 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default ls430

only problem thay talked about, and always do with lexus is handling, or the lack of. If it was more sport luxary than luxary sport it would top all lists,
Old 07-30-04 | 03:01 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Default comparo

I thought about this thread when I saw an A8 on the road today. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars out there. No one can dislike the looks and luxury. Interior looks quality even from outside. BUT...from what I hear Audi is almost as bad as Mercedes and that is a shame.
One thing the magazine guys never add in the comaparo's....reliability. They talk about feel and ride and power...never about reliability. Even on the long termers when they mention the repairs....if they mention them, they minimize them like it doesn't matter. It does to me.

Quick Reply: Luxury Sedan Comparo - Motor Trend - Sept. 2004